VTBIRD Archives

June 2005

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
"Lawrence, Miriam" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 11:48:05 -0400
Barbara Powers wrote:

> If you attached a guard around the opening of the box, the bluebirds &
tree
> swallows can get in but not the unwanted birds. It might be worth a try.

Barbara,

What type of guard did you have in mind? The materials I've read say that
sparrows can get into any hole that is big enough to allow tree swallows and
bluebirds access.  Is there a type of guard that is an exception to that?
I'd love to know if there is.

Apparently "sparrow spookers" can be very effective against sparrows while
being tolerated well by swallows and bluebirds, but they have to be put up
when the bluebirds or swallows have just started laying eggs, to ensure that
they don't get scared off during incubation.

http://www.sialis.org/sparrowspooker.htm

Our swallow/bluebird families seem to be too far along to use spookers this
season, but I'll definitely plan on it next summer.

Thanks,
Miriam