VTBIRD Archives

September 2013

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Jane Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2013 01:34:39 -0400
Thought I was reading a typo, but Mt. Wachusett in central Massachusett
had another huge day today, with more than 12,000 birds.

They've now got a season total for this year so far of over 34,000, far
and away the biggest that site has had in the 30 years or so it's been
regularly manned during Broad-Wing migration.  And over most of the last
10 years, the site has usually counted fewer than 10,000 over the
season, sometimes not much more than half that many.

The much lower altitude hawkwatch site at Barre Falls, well south of
Wachusett, has also had so far a spectacular season, with numbers far
above what they usually get.

It's so tempting to start speculating about an unusually good breeding
year up north for BWs or some other factor that's boosted the numbers,
but these numbers are really only a very vivid demonstration of the
vagaries of catching the hawk migration in progress.

Somebody once worked out that the most distant hawk the size of a BW you
could pick up with good optics is about a mile maximum, and it'll be a
pinprick at that distance even then.  So unless the birds are streaming
close by your site, you won't see them, meaning the atmospheric
conditions and winds not just where you are but also well north of you
can end up sending thousands of them right past your site but just far
enough out of range that you won't even know it.

Whew.  What a week they've had at Mt. Wachusett!

Jane
(Shoreham)