VTBIRD Archives

October 2003

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Sherry Mahady <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 20:20:04 -0400
In a far field on the east side of Bostwick Rd in Shelburne, just before the Charlotte town line, a small flock of 30+/- snow geese caught my eye.  Nearby was another flock of dark birds that I assumed were Canada geese.  Wrong!  When I got binoculars on them, the dark birds turned out to be 35 turkeys, nonchalantly grazing alongside the geese.  Quite an unexpected combination.

At DCWMA, 2500+/- snow geese in the field on the south side of the viewing area were stirred up by two circling juv. bald eagles.  Canada geese and more snow geese (no way to estimate numbers) rose and landed behind the tree line on the north side of the road.  Also in the area were a red-tail hawk, peregrine falcon, kestrel, the (resident?) northern harriers, turkey vultures, and many, many monarch butterflies struggling to make headway into the south wind.  Brilyea Access offered a great blue heron and many swallows but nothing else that I or a couple of other birders could see.

Sherry Mahady