VTBIRD Archives

June 2005

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Pat Folsom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jun 2005 19:39:35 -0400
Today 10 Mad Birders ventured to the top of Mt. Ellen, thanks to the generosity of Sugarbush Ski Resort.  After a bumpy ride up the mainentance road, we were treated to some great looks at some mountain species.  We saw or heard all of the species being monitored by Mountain Birdwatch:

Bicknell's Thrush, White-throated Sparrow, Winter Wren, Blackpoll Warbler, Swainson's Thrush.  We had great looks at the Bicknell's Thrush 3 different times - what a wonderful experience.

Other birds seen or heard included: Cliff Swallows at Base Lodge, Purple Finch, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Dark-eyed Junco, Blue Jay, American Robin, Cedar Waxwings, Magnolia Warbler, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Blackburnian Warbler, Canada Warbler, Song Sparrow, Common Ravens - pair, Red-tailed Hawk.

Mammal of interest - Snowshoe hare on the side of the trail having breakfast.

We're already hoping to make this an annual event!

Pat Folsom
Waitsfield