]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIRD Home

VTBIRD  May 2016

VTBIRD May 2016

Sunday 5/29/16 Prothonotary Yes, Saw-whet Owls YES

Alison Wagner <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 30 May 2016 07:48:57 -0400

Good Morrrrrrrrrrrning, VtBIRDers!

Jim Mead and I went on a birders' style rampage yesterday and stopped at
these two locations as well. Mid day, at the Rutland Marsh, we dipped on the
Bittern, and thought we had as well with the Saw Whet owlets, but when
returning to the truck, Jim noticed one chick at the box opening.  We then
set up the truck with front row seating (pulled into side "road" across the
street from the box) and had the best lunch ever, tailgating birders' style
with the family in our scopes.  Over the course of about thirty minutes, we
concluded we'd seen all three owlets, as subtle differences in facial
patterns could be noticed, while they "took turns" getting some fresh air
(and looking at their audience).  Jim commented on how it looked like a
puppet show at times as heads would quickly disappear, pop up, disappear
again. Also, it was nice to meet some local folks that came along to
photograph the Saw Whets.

Later, while viewing a Black Vulture perched near the top of a cliff (much
white wash where it was), I heard the Prothonotary sing just once;  we did
not include it in our list as he did not show himself or sing again for us
both to hear, but we were delighted to know this bird is still around.  Best
of luck to him in finding a mate, and other birders looking for him!  This
viewing was at the first area where there is a small pool of water on the
west side of the road.  The vulture was a target bird for us both, and
seeing it perched where there was so much white wash left us wondering if it
was nesting.

Besides these awesome encounters, another highlight of the day was
hearing/seeing TWO Yellow-billed Cuckoos.  We started our morning at
Whipstock Hill where we located the first bird.  We had to step along the
trail gingerly, however,  to avoid a  different species with the highest
count of  the day:  we  tallyed at least 141 "red efts" of various sizes and
ages.  (NOTE:  We did not hear or see the coveted Hooded Warbler.)  The one
bird that held our attention the longest we could not get a handle on it.
We were intrigued by a songster that sounded like a cross between a
Black-throated Blue, Blackburnian, but was  very Cerulean-like.  One very
unsatisfactory glimpse of a busy bird gleaning high in the canopy showed me
white underneath, no black or fire orange on its throat.  I could not be
100% sure it was the Cerulean and some things are best let go, so we did.
Later in the day, we tried again for the Cerulean on our way to the Rutland
Marsh, hearing many warblers, but not the Cerulean.

Another bird we had to let go, was a likely Orchard Oriole at Ward Marsh
(northern end).  Sounding too burry to be a Baltimore, Jim managed to get on
the bird for only a second before it took off.  We heard it a few more
times, but it was too distant to locate.  An unexpected Bald Eagle eased the
disappointment.  Perched on a very dead snag, it nearly snapped the branch
it was perched on when it took flight!  NOTE:  A local kindly stopped to
suggest to me to be on the alert for Rattlesnakes in this area.  I'm glad we
stayed on the road!

The second cuckoo was along the Ward Marsh, also seen and heard, close to
the southern end near/where it joins Buckner Preserve (but before the
bridge).  As we left Buckner to return home to Chittenden County,  one last
bird announced its presence.  Jim and I both responded emphatically,
"PRAIRIE WARBLER!"

Great day, great birding, great friend (thanks, Jim)!

Ali
Huntington