VTBIRD Archives

October 2003

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
"Carl J. Anderson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:37:40 -0500
David, here are some directions to the three sites around Dead Creek.  I copied
the list in case anyone else is unfamilier with these areas (Apologies to
others). A Vermont Atlas and Gazateer (pg 38) might be helpful to follow them
(all my mileages are guesses)...

Jersey St:  Go west from the DC goose viewing area on RT 17.  The first major
intersection is Jersey St.  Head North on Jersey St (undetermined mileage, 2
miles?) to Goodrich corner.  Head east on Jersey St, and follow rd as it turns
north again (2 miles) to a Fish and Wildife boat access area on the right. A
dirt road will take you into the boat access where this time of year you will
share the area with hunters.  I don't know if the open water area directly to
the north of the boat access is not huntable, or if there just weren't any
hunters there Saturday, but there was a large mixed flock of waterfowl
seemingly hiding out then.

Tri-town water plant: Come back south on Jersey St.  Perhaps a half mile before
Rt 17 is Atherton Rd.  Turn right on Atherton.  When you reach Lake St, go
straight across at the stop sign (there is a sign for the tri-town plant at the
corner).  Proceed through the residential nieghborhood, and bear right with the
main rd to the tri-town plant.  There is an area behind the plant with a good
north and west views of the lake.  CAUTION:  This is presumably a municipal
site, and though the area and facility seem to be very birder friendly (there
are usually several people with scopes there), I personally do not know what
actual plant policy is in terms of public access (perhaps another list member
could advise).  My strategy has been to be respectful of the private property
on either side, and park in the plant parking lot.  I'm usually in good
company.

Potash Bay:  You're looking up toward Potash Bay from the Tri-town plant.  Go
back out to Lake St. and turn left (North).  In perhaps two miles you will see
Potash Bay Rd on the left.  This is a narrow rd which sort of dwindles out at
the lake with no good turn around spot.  You can back up to a local driveway,
but don't plan on going in with a bus.

If you get lost, keep your eyes open.  Almost any road around Addison and Panton
is fun for birding this time of year.

Hope this helps.
Carl Anderson
Burlington