VTBIRD Archives

June 2005

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 12:21:20 -0400
A VINS field crew began research on the summit of East Mt. in East Haven
this Tuesday.  All of the expected breeding species appear to be back.  We
ran about 25 mist nets, with the following highlights among captures:

Boreal Chickadee -- 2 (including a female in breeding condition)
Bicknell's Thrush -- 10 adults (2 banded birds from 2004)
Canada Warbler -- 1 female, probably transient
Mourning Warbler -- 1 male, probably transient
Pine Siskin -- close to 100, including 1 net with 52 birds at one time.  We
had 6 people extracting simultaneously!  All but 1 of these 52 were
juveniles.  There are flocks of varying size all over the summit.

We also observed 2 Black-backed Woodpeckers at widely separated locations
on the mountain.  Yellow-bellied flycatchers are singing, and we heard 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet.

Chris
Chris Rimmer
Conservation Biology Dept.