VTBIRD Archives

October 2003

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Shelagh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 05:12:48 EDT
Sunday was an exciting day!  In the morning I was drawn to the front window
by a female Pileated shouting from a maple.  She was hanging off a very thin
branch, snacking on something - which turned out to be wild grapes.  Looking
into the field beyond I spotted eight turkeys - a female & immatures - moving
slowly into the woods.

A White-throated Sparrow spent the day on my feeder, and I managed a really
close look at his yellow patches and white bib.

We were eating dinner around 5pm when those same (!) eight turkeys appeared
right underneath the dining room window, ran down the driveway and onto the
lawn.  Heedless of passing cars they all crossed the road and flew up into the
wild grapevine-covered bush overhanging the road.  I abandoned dinner, grabbed
the digital camera and raced around the house to snap a couple of shots as they
moved off into the field again.

Shelagh Smith in Leicester.