VTLEPS Archives

February 2005

VTLEPS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Bryan Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 07:02:26 -0500
Greetings, Butterflyers:

The lengthening days must have triggered my latest lepidoptera dream. This
was another in a series of lep dream in color. The first, a few years ago,
involved a bicycle trip I was taking in Vermont in winter. (Hey, it's a
dream.) I pedaled past a snowy field to find two adult Marine Sulphurs (not
a real species) feeding on old, dried alfalfa poking through the snowpack.
They were stunning -- marked below like the dorsal side of an Orange
Sulphur with striking aqua-blue legs, eyes and leading edges to the
forewings. This was an awesome lep dream.

In last night's episode, I was in the tropics staying at some sort of camp
with huts and (hey, it's a dream) running water. I was about to leave camp
but found an amazing butterfly/moth sitting in the sink with its wings
folded closed. The beast was twice the size of a Cecropia Moth. It was
shaped like a swallowtail, but marked below in orange-and-tan-and-brown
camouflage. What amazed me most was that interspersed in these markings
were perfect images of white oak leaves (but they were orange in color).

So I decide to snatch the bug by the leading edge of the wings. When I did
the lep threw back its head and planted its left -- and barbed -- antenna
into my ring finger. Although this thing looked like a swallowtail
(Paplionidae), the antennae looked more like those of a male giant silk
moth (Saturniidae). Anyway, I felt a sharp, stinging sensation in my finger
and up into my hand. I experienced that for a while. Then set the bug down
on a table, at which point it opened its wings to reveal a morpho-like
dorsal side. The thing was glowing blue. I was elated.

Then I woke up. Bummer.

My dream interpretation: It's time for a tropical vacation. (Keep dreaming.)

-Bryan

The Vermont Butterfly Survey
A Project of the Vermont Institute of Natural Science

27023 Church Hill Road
Woodstock, VT 05091
(802) 457-2779 Ext. 124

www.vinsweb.org/conservation/vbs