VTLEPS Archives

November 2002

VTLEPS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Bryan Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:51:35 -0500
Greetings, VTLepsters:

I have no butterflies to report, but the fall flight of what is most likely
Bruce Spanworm (Operophtera bruceata) is in full force here in the
hardwoods of Plainfield. They're everywhere. I've managed to locate a few
(wingless) females. Normally, any dense cluster of flying males is the best
sign of a female's presence. But I've even noticed a few females all alone
on sugar maples.

Scott or Jim (or any other moth mavens), are there other abundant
fall-flying moths besides those O. bruceata. Do we see much in the way of
Fall Cankerworm (Alsophila pometaria) in Vermont?

Bryan Pfeiffer

Vermont Bird Tours
113 Bartlett Road
Plainfield, VT 05667