VTLEPS Archives

April 2015

VTLEPS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Stewarts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2015 21:14:42 -0400
Today in Arlington we observed 52 + turtles piled up on each other
and along the edges and hummocks of the small 30' x 50' (approx)
'pond'.  The water depth is no more than 2', clear with visible leaf
litter on the bottom.  Several slipped back into the water when we
got out of car to photograph.

They appeared to all be painted turtles with the bright yellow
stripping on the neck.  One was swimming across the water with his
head/neck up like a spotting scope.

This seemed like a LOT of turtles to come out of that small
'pond'.  I'm sure there were plenty more that we did not see.

Ruth Stewart
E. Dorset