VTVEGANDBERRY Archives

January 2010

VTVEGANDBERRY@LIST.UVM.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Vermont Vegetable and Berry Growers <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Vern Grubinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:49:18 -0500
See below, has anyone used such small cell size for growing lettuce
transplants, and with what success? thanks, Vern

We are using a 128 cell tray for lettuce and greens right now is looking
at a similar sized tray from Proptek which has 144 cells.  The cell size
is actually the same, but they fit more cells per tray because they
don't need a rolled edge on the tray for strength like regular
thermoformed trays have.  You can check them out at
http://www.proptek.com/pages/vegetables/trays/index.php?ref=144N10N.
The issue is that the 144s are made in California and the freight quote
I got was $2500.  Proptek also makes a tray in Montreal which is a 231
count.  The cell volume is about 60% less.  From the little I know about
it, it seems like most growers out West use much smaller cells than we
do here for lettuce and greens.  Everyone I know in this area uses a 128
or similar tray for these crops.  Do you think we could get away with a
231 tray for these crops?   Do you know anyone using a smaller cell tray
for lettuce?