VTVEGANDBERRY Archives

April 2021

VTVEGANDBERRY@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Donna Doel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Doel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2021 14:52:36 +0000
Here are answers to my weighting of tarps and fabric covers.  If people have favorite materials or sources for “sand bags” please share.  Thanks!
Original Question:
I'm looking at working with a lot of tarping this year, along with the usual fabric and netting wrestling.   Has anyone got some good methods of making/using "sand bags" - like weight, spacing, bag fabric, filler (I've got a leftover pile of pea gravel)?  I've improvised different things but would like to hear what others do.  Will repost.
Donna Bascom
Bascom Farm
Charlestown NH

“I recommend getting good quality held plastic or woven bags, with drawstrings, unless you have plenty of spare baling twine. Then take care of them - no throwing, just dropping, lifting and placing.
Spacing really depends on your site and how windy it is. You might need to put them at two paces/six feet if it’s very windy. You might get away with 8-12 feet. If you’re really well protected 20. It’s better to err on the conservative side, but you’ll figure that out one way or another.”  Mike

“In my experience half full sandbags (of sand) is fine to hold the edge of the tarp, but I wouldn't skimp on the amount of bags. We put one every 5 feet. Its certainly some work to get it set, but I worry a lot less on those windy days.”
Terry O'Brien
[https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1N2zem_64hJDuwctAYJIkF-RbNEOah1YK&revid=0B_WDQO_mgGujcms2WnFMOHNEVDk1TFAzY1hIZnd0Ymp3MWxvPQ]
Kingston, NH
732-757-5793
@hungry_heart_farm

“I have Stoney ground.  So I use stones (no sand bags).  And I’ve learned to use a lot. A softball sized stone or bigger every 2-3’.”
Sent from my iPhone