LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  January 2000, Week 1

COMMUNET January 2000, Week 1

more about "better TV"

Curtiss Priest <[log in to unmask]>

Community and Civic Network discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Jan 2000 16:55:23 -0500

W. Curtiss Priest, Ph.D.
             Center for Information, Technology & Society
              466 Pleasant Street Melrose, MA  02176
   E-mail: [log in to unmask], Voice: 617-662-4044, FAX: 617-662-6882

              This document may be distributed freely

                          January 4, 1998

                         An Open Discussion
              with Government, Foundations, Non-profits
                       and Grassroots Efforts

                           CITS MEDIA WATCH

                          Public Issue #51:

                             "Better TV"

                           ***************

            Commentary by Dr. W. Curtiss Priest, Director:

A few years ago, many of us helped form the Telecommunications
Policy Rountable -- North East, and others, the Telecommunications
Roundtable in Washington.

We held forums (in the Boston area), talked with our Congressmen,
and supported SKER (Snowe, Kerrey, Exxon and Rockefeller) for
what has been called the e-rate.

And, in Section 706, there was a mandate for advanced
telecommunications services (and the Alliance for Public
Technology -- www.apt.org) have worked with the FCC to
help assure that e-rate wasn't just "lifeline" services.

But the 1996 Telecom Reform Act was a deregulatory Act.
And to the extent that the freeing of the markets and real
competition brings lower prices and better services -- this
is in the public good.

But the market is driven in ways that do not fully capture
the values of the public.  In the end, the bottom-line is
profit -- and, as the history of the U.S. has shown, profit
and social values are often in conflict.

We witness the "Disneyfication" of American values.  We
witness many children (and adults) caught up in the hype of
product-sales-driven tie-ins -- movies connected to TV
coverage of movies and various MacDonald-like fanfare of
movie paraphernalia, action-toys, etc.

In parallel with this we are witnessing media conglomerates
such as General Electric and Viacom that compromise the ability
for both TV news and newspapers to critique the trend, as it
would be a form of political suicide because of the various
relationships (as a recent "Greater Boston" PBS show with
Emily Rooney, James Carroll, and Mark Jurkowitz (and others)
recently discussed in a November episode.)

What is interesting about Mark Lloyd's approach to "better TV"
is the coalition building with various nonprofits (listed below).

There is a true sense that WE could make a difference if we
only spoke up.

I am reminded of a favorite quotation by Richard Moore:

        Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful
        committed citizens can change the world,
        indeed it's the only thing that ever has.
                - Margaret Mead

The following text is from --
         http://www.bettertv.org/pbtvtwopager.htm

If it takes a village to raise a child, who shapes the village?
Increasingly the answer is the media, especially TV. We have, this
year, a real opportunity to change television for the better. It is
the first such opportunity in over sixty years, and it will not last
long.

The nation is making a transition to Digital TV. More than just a wide
screen and pretty pictures, Digital TV will combine the variety of the
Internet and power of TV. In 1996 Congress gave broadcasters $70
billion dollars worth of public airwaves for digital television. Now,
in exchange for that gift, the Federal Communications Commission must
make set new guidelines for how broadcasters serve the public.
Finally, the public will have an opportunity to say how their local TV
stations should serve them. You'll find our recommendations below. We
must make the most of this moment before television makes the
transition to digital and becomes an even more powerful force in
American society.

We invite you to take action and join People for Better TV. We are
parents and teachers and doctors and citizens. We understand that TV
has a major impact on our families and our communities. We think
Digital TV can bring us many benefits, but without the right sort of
guidelines it can also cause us real harm. We are urging action on
behalf of viewers.

In exchange for free use of the public airwaves, we are asking for a
new deal to protect and advance the public good. This new deal should
be reasonable and enforceable. The hallmarks of that deal should be
fair representation of viewpoints, respect for children and families,
and accountability to local communities. Simply put in exchange for
the free use of the public airwaves broadcasters should serve the
public interest.

We represent millions of Americans, through dozens of organizations.

Our steering committee includes:

American Academy of Pediatrics

Civil Rights Forum on Communications Policy

Communications Workers of America

Consumer Federation of America

League of United Latin American Citizens

NAACP

National Association of the Deaf

National Council of Churches

National Organization for Women

Project on Media Ownership

You are not alone:

78% of Americans are concerned about sex and violence on television.

87% of Americans agree that ads during childrens television should be
limited.

87% of Americans think there should be an independent ratings system.

85% of Americans think broadcasters should provide services for the
disabled.

80 % of Americans agree that broadcasters should provide more local
programming.

GETTING INVOLVED

People for Better TV urges all Americans to get involved now. We are
not just consumers of TV, we own the airwaves. TV stations get a
license to use public property to make money, in return they are
obligated to serve the public good. Only the public can say what the
public good is. It has been over sixty years since the first
guidelines were established, it is now time to write those guidelines
again, and your thoughts are important.

Write a letter: Using the People for Better TV website write a letter
to the Federal Communications Commission. Tell them what you want from
TV in the future, and send a copy of your letter to Congress. You can
do all this in just a few minutes on the website, or if you like we
can send you sample letters and the information you need.

Visit your local stations: You have a right to review the public
records and program logs of your local television stations. Call your
local station. Examine the TV program logs. Write to the FCC and tell
them that you want TV that represents you.

Form a local group: There are people in your state and neighborhood
who also want to take action. Contact People for Better TV for help in
getting your community organized. Call local leaders, including
teachers and ministers. Invite your friends over to watch a video and
talk about the impact of television.

Take a Stand: We know most Americans are concerned about the impact of
TV in the future, we=ve developed a set of recommendations we think
will make TV better. You can find them on our website, or just ask and
we=ll fax or mail them to you. And let us know what you think.

Become informed: For educational resources, updates, and more
information on taking action contact People for Better TV. See the
resources on our website: www.bettertv.org

You can also email us at: [log in to unmask],

or call us toll free at (888) 374-PBTV for more information.

Our address is:

People for Better TV 818 18th Street, NW Suite 505 Washington, D.C.
20006