SKIVT-L January 2000, Week 3

Re: Swampfest/Canada Dry/etc. Part III

Dan Barron <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 Jan 2000 23:16:58 -0500

Long post, but with any luck, it's the last post I'll send on the subject

Sutton. Monday 1/17

Morning temp at the North Troy Inn was -23. Misread the thermometer at
first, thought it was _above_ zero, stepped outside and  it seemed nippy,
but not frigid. Next time I was outside was after someone in the group
pointed out the true temp and suddenly it felt _much_ colder. Maybe if I
can pick up a little thermometer that always reads 31, I'll never be cold?

Sutton was cold.

However, after reading Jerm's account of Smuggs the same day, I don't think
it was _that_ cold. My impression is that the day's high was in the minus
low teens. But Marc had pointed us to Sutton instead of Jay in the first
place because of its more wind-sheltered layout and that seemed to do the
trick.

Actually, to back up a bit, the day started with a quick trip to a ski shop
on the road to Jay (Snow Job) where I hoped to replace a Scarpa boot strap
that I'd snapped the day before at Orford. When it was windy there, 7 miles
west and many verts below Jay, that sealed it. Sutton it was. (And
replacement strap there wasn't. Mike doctored a mismatched strap and
fortunately, it held.)

The caravan to Sutton, a 50 minute scenic drive across Quebec secondary
roads, included Marc and Mom G, Eric & Jane K, Jim Dugan, Dick, & moi. This
was the second time I've been there and the first time I've been there when
the temp was *above* (not a typo) -20. Marc assures me they get great corn
in the spring. I'll believe it when I see it.

As probably most have heard, Sutton is either majorly or minimally gladed,
depending on your definition. Its trails are loaded with bands of trees,
creating myriad (intelligent sounding word, huh?) little routes, many of
which are pretty narrow, and almost all of which are, by skivittle
standards, very much *on* piste. (And going truly off piste is against la
loi.) Great for someone who wants to play at skiing woods, but for a
dedicated barkeater, pretty slim pickins, except...

1) The place is beautiful. It is like skiing around in a giant park.
2) The trails may be groomed, but they are not McGroomed. Dips abound.
And 3) I get the distinct impression that if one knows where to look, there
must be myriad (hey, if it was smart once...) tree shots (more coming on
this subject). And I suspect that actually getting hauled off by the RCMP,
or even getting your ticket pulled, if you exercise moderate caution, is
pretty unlikely.

Other plusses:
I like the feel of skiing in Quebec (sorry Leigh), a foreign country (sorry
Leigh), with a foreign culture (sorry Leigh). Took a mid-morning break at a
summit eatery (w open fireplace) where they sold tarte au sucre: pie filled
with maple sugar goo and for a sweet tooth like myself, near heaven. I like
hearing foreign languages around me. (Although, in this regard, Sutton is
noticeably less francophone than Orford. Employees seem to use both
languages among themselves, as opposed to solely French. The town of Sutton
is mostly English speaking and the most popular book store I saw there is
called The Book Nook.)

The trail layout is convenient, with all the blacks together, almost all
the blues, and most of the greens.

It's cheap ($26.67 US, weekend).

And (at least on the frigid days I've been there) no crowds.

On the other hand, on the frigid day that the Swampfest gang was there, we
couldn't seem to hold our own little crowd together very well, either. Cold
temps meant that at various different times: Some folks needed to go in to
get warm; some folks couldn't stand around, shifting from one foot to the
other, waiting for other, slower, folks to catch up; some folks didn't want
to go in and change climates (since they'd only have to change back
again);  and almost everybody, at some diffferent time, was afflicted with
goggle blindness, caused by frozen moisture which, despite wiping, airing
and various choice obscenities, would not evaporate, and which, when
combined with the aforementioned dips and contours, led to numerous facial
encounters with snow, causing more goggle blindness.

So there were only a few runs with all six of us. Most were spent searching
out the natural snow trails, which were considerably less slick than the
man-mades. From the main lift, Sous-bois Youp (27), over to Sous-Bois Poma
(29) and the double were nice.

While most went in for lunch, I decided to get in a run on my own. Off the
double, I started nosing around off piste. Near the top, I found nothing
too exciting. About 1/3 of the way down, though, I saw some interesting
tracks to my left. Followed them maybe 20 yards down the slightest of
inclines (had to pole) then found myself at the top of a 13 foot drop,
bigger than anything I've ever done. I stared at it, inching closer, for 5
minutes. I knew I'd end up trying it.

It was like a "J". My guesses about feet and degrees here are pretty
sketchy and probably exagerated by novice fear, so take them with a grain
of salt--but I'm trying to be accurate. Near the top, there was maybe 5
feet with the slightest bit of pitch to it, maybe 75 degrees?, before it
hit practically vertical. I figured it would be enough to get me, from a
standing start, pointed in pretty much the right direction--no need, at
least, to leap. And near the bottom, there was a smooth, if rapid, curve
that went from near vert to near flat. Again, it seemed that if any jump
was going to do the work for me, this was it.

And so it did. I went down, exactly as planned, got turned back to a level
pitch exactly as planned, and fell on my side, not quite as planned but at
least as uninjured as planned. In between, it felt great--weightless and,
maybe a bit deceptively, in control. Time had slowed to a crawl. Picked
myself up. looked where I'd been and convinced myself that next time I'd
nail it . But now it was time to catch a planned rendezvous at the lodge.

Marc, Jim and I went off towards the (unopened) Lift 7 on skier's far
right, for what turned out to be by far the run of the day. From the summit
traverse, on the way to 51 Attraction (and past what the map calls a Future
trail), we saw and followed tracks, and found ourselves in a narrow water
drainage. I'm guessing we got 300 vertical feet of foot deep powder. Pitch
maxed out at a few degrees past the slope level I refer to technically as
oh s**t. Was it 50 degrees, Marc? I don't know. I do know it was tight (8
feet max), turny, dippy, stumpy and a scary blast. We took turns leading. I
linked a small handful of turns that had me feeling on top of the world.
Marc had the most impressive run with a replay of Michael Bernstein's "oh,
Oh, OOHH" from two days before. He bumped and bounced--fast--on the edge of
control and held on. Beautiful. Jim was surprising himself, I think, first
by just being there and second, just by managing. Right, Jim?

Uh, Jim? Come in, Jim?

I was first to the shot's end and first to find the finale, a blind 8 foot
drop to a compression. Made it uneventfully if not impressively and yelled
back to Jim and Marc, "watch out, there's a bit of a surprise at the
bottom."

Jim never heard me.

Now, I'm reluctant to say this for fear of some long and pointless thread
it might start (hey--we've done it already. Please don't dominate the rap
Jack if you've got nothing new to say), but I can't ignore my strong
impression. Helmets as safety devices, I am convinced, are over-rated. Do I
have facts? No. But I know you lose your hearing. Marc, farther away and
helmetless, heard me. That means you lose what people try to tell you and
you lose sounds that might otherwise tip you off to an approaching skier.
Clearly those are net safety minuses. You lose peripheral vision. And I
think you lose some fear. And all the many folks that are always heard
saying "good thing I had my helmet on when I hit that tree," I can never
help but think, "yeah, maybe if you hadn't had your helmet on you would've
bailed *before* impact, or maybe not even been on the trail."

Anyway, Jim came down, didn't see the drop till he was on it, hit the
compression and fell. I figure he was ok. He didn't move. Jim, you ok?
Didn't move. Went over to his face. Jim, you ok? You ok, Jim? No response.
At all. What a sick and awful feeling. I waved for Marc to come down. There
were a few more minutes before we got our first groggy response--and how
welcome it was. He wanted his skis off, thank god. (Of course telenaut
wasn't quite sure how alpines *come* off--little levity there--but I got
'em quick enough.) Eventually, over 5 minutes, Jim pulls himself together.
His neck was what got hurt and again, I have to wonder if the weight of the
helmet was part of the problem.

He said he could ski down. Marc led, I trailed, watching him like a hawk.
At first he seemed wobbly. I was still worried. Then we hit some powdery
bumps and--get this--the guy starts giggling. Now either he was fine or his
brain was so damaged by his mishap that it could now experience nothing
except ski bliss, in which case that is definitely the way *I* want to go.

After that, a few more runs for me on this cold day, but now (having gone
inside for a few minutes) it was my turn with goggle blindness and I never
again felt comfortable. Did a last quick cruiser with Eric, who put the
fear of missing facial parts in me by telling me my nose was starting to
turn white and decided to wrap it up at 2:30. Never got to say a decent
goodby to Marc, Jim and Dick.

Goodby Marc, Jim and Dick.

It was a great three days.

--telenaut

Cartographic epilogue.

Sutton to NYC, how to go?
91, 89 or 87? I chose NYS I-87. At the end of a holiday weekend I was
apprehensive about 22A and especially about the 149 Lake George crossover,
which always seems to take forever. I drove due west across Quebec in the
day's end light (little dirt Claybank Road from 139S to Frelighburg and
237W , to 202W to 223S into NYS to 11W to 87S to Taconic. The Quebec part
was scenic and beautiful (even shabby lakeside Venice-en-Quebec in its
shabby lakeside way). The Customs guy on little 223S (turns into 2 in NYS)
was nasty as can be. and the NY Thruway was solid 75 mph cruise control.
Route was not the shortest in miles (385) but at 6 1/2 hours, I think it
might have been the best in time. And it was the easiest, smilingest 6 1/2
hour drive I can remember. But that might have had something to do with the
skiing and the company that preceded.