SKIVT-L January 2000, Week 3

Canada Dry

Leigh Daboll <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:30:13 -0500

reply.txt (283 lines)

Matt Duffy wrote:

> The whole entourage- Marc "snow bringer" Guido, Rich "MRG" Ramsden, Dick "needles" Carlson, Dan "goggles" Barron, Jim "pirouette" Dugan, Leigh & Jane "frugal" Daboll, Mike "NYC" Bernstein, "Flying" Jerm the Beetnik and myself were all treated to a shockingly wild land of wintry, snowy trails & trees; powder up to our knees, boulders, dips & rolls; ledges, cliffs & knolls. Evelyn "mom" Guido was there with her pleasant company, extra bits of nourishment and and overall warm way of looking after us. If I forgot anybody, please excuse my haste & PLEASE speak up to correct me.

Leigh Daboll responds:

Hey, It was ME who originally talked Marc into checking out Orford!

Credit where credit is due ;-)

A couple of minor corrections Matt:

It is actually ERIC and Jane ("awesome skiing couple") KRUPA, and Leigh

(formally "frugal", now known as simply "STP" ["somersaulting tree/face

planter") and Briar Daboll.  Hey, if I'd have known I was going to be

skiing with Johnny, Kent, and Scot, I'd at least have bought a helmet.

Seriously, those glades were just about the funnest thing I've ever

done.  I'm sure I got good marks for being a good sport as well as my

various aerial displays - you know, doing the kind of stuff like where

you nudge the guy sitting with you on the lift and say 'Oh my God, look

at that guy down there" while wincing profusely.

The trip was pretty epic.  I rolled into North Troy Vermont about

midnight Friday night.  Marc was still up.  He said the day at Owl"s

Head had been "interesting" - like minus 20 degrees and 50 mile per hour

winds interesting.  About ten cars in the parking lot.  Next door at

Jay, only the t-bars were open. As Owl's Head is actually my favorite of

the four Township resorts, I was a bit disappointed the conditions were

not better.  Interestingly, Owl's Head is the new home of the

Breckenridge high speed quad which was replaced by the new Quicksilver

six-pack.  This was the first high-speed chair in North America, and

constitues Owl's Head's second high speed lift. There are plans to

expand the resort into an east facing steepish bowl using the now

superfluous old orange chair.

Dick had an unfortuanle experience in that he actually lost -get this -

a binding off his ski.  After much searching it was determined that $250

CDN was not a bad price for a replacement.

Saturday morning dawned bluebird, absolutely still and FREAKING COLD.

It was about -25 degrees at the base of Jay.  The snow was squeaking so

loudly in the ticket line that it was hard to hear.  Briar and I got off

one warmup run down Ullr's before I met up with the rest of the group.

Marc immediately snagged me and we sidestepped up into some underbrush.

Not surprisingly, it "opened" (and I use the word in the loosest

possible sense) into a long glade.  Where I live, we don't have great

glades, and my glade skiing abilties are not on par with some of the

others in the group.  It never keeps me from trying however.  It was a

great experience with a steep learning curve.  I may not be graceful,

but I could usually pinball my through most anything.

The terrain at Jay is most interesting.  While it has a rep as a less

serious mountain than say Stowe or MRG, there is some truly

s**t-your-pants, frightening looking stuff on the face chutes below the

top tram terminal, and in some of the glades.  It is a most impressive

looking sight to ride up the orange(?) quad and see the tram at

mid-point between the two peaks.

After much cursing because of continuously iced-over goggles, I finally

skiied bare-eyed the rest of the day -ouch!  The blance of the afternoon

was spent on natural snow steeps and some nice soft moguls.

That evening, a fine time was had by all dining in Magog,

notwithstanding the following:

1. A certain "local expert's" "shortcut" [can you say "where the f***

are we?"]

2. A certain "local expert's" view which could be best described as "we

don't need no stinkin' reservations"

3. Forty-five round trip miles of black ice.

Magog is a good place for a cheap time.  Mike B. couldn't believe how

cheap you can eat in Canada compared to NYC.  Get used to it man - we

are poor up here!!!!

Matt is right about Sunday.  Orford was awesome - unbeleivable

conditions.  The snow was soft enought that after I split off from the

grroup to ski with Briar for awhile, I was able to contiuously ski fluff

and soft-land the small drops over various rocks off the sides of the

main runs.  Even the Mt. Derosiers side, which rarely has good

conditions because of no snowmaking, was epic.  There, I caught the

farthest right winding blue trail.  This trail doesn't get much traffic

because the entrance intimidates many of the families who ski that side.

The snow had piled up to the tops of the raspberry canes, and was almost

untracked.  The wind had sculpted it into a myrriad of small humps and

bumps.  As I bounced down the trail, I wondered whether I would ever be

back in nicer conditions.

Back at the base, I thought I would take another run off the peak.  By

this time, the winds had picked up, and visibilty at the top was about

zero, as was the pleasantness factor.  As I took a last solo run down

under the chairs, I thought about the drive home, work tommorrow, and

whether I would blow off Monday to stay and ski neighbouring Sutton,

which would be every bit as epic as Orford.  Close, but no cigar.

I really hope the group tried Sutton on Monday, as the glades there are

consistently ranked #1 in Canada.  The terrain is just as varied as

Orford, and the resort is actually a good bit larger, albeit giving up a

couple hundred verts.

After a short (too short) round of good-byes to all, Briar and I headed

out for, initially, a brutal drive back through Montreal and home.

Roads were extremely treacherous until the Ontario border, then it was

only wind to deal with.  We finally rolled in at about 12:45 am.

To everyone there, we gotta make this an annual event!  Same time, same

area.  You Americans can buy a four-day/four-mountain interchangeable

Eastern Townships pass for about $85 US, and a five day for $100 US.

That's unbeievable considering the quantity of skiing you get.

(including bonus free night skiing at Bromont every night).

Some awards:

1. Best clown shoe imitation: Jim Dugan's: Black 130 cm Elans ("Hey they

have Grateful Dead graphics on them if you catch the light right") Note:

also wins award for fastest speed to length ratio)

2. Most potentially expensive weekend:  Dick Carlson (replacing his

bindings, and then losing the same ski two days in a powder glade for

twenty minutes (thanks Jane)

3. Best cartwheel and/or face plant: Yours truly (But still following

you guys!)

4. Best Seth Morrison imitation:  4-way tie between Matt, Mike, Jim and

Jerm.

5. Most modest comment: Mike B. "I chalk it up to the new X-Screams"

6. Best BS line:  MG.  "We're a group of ski journalists.  Thanks for

the free ticket and tour today".  Frankly, he likely would have paid

double that day.

7. Sweatiest/wettest bodies:  2 way tie betwen Dan and Rich.  What is it

about you telemarkers anyway?  Aren't you guys content to punish your

bodies the old, conventional alpine way?  Man, I give you guys the

utmost respect doin' those glades on teles.

8. Couple best suited for ski ballet:  Eric and Jane.  Smooth, real

smooth, and good skiers with each other!

Leigh