SKIVT-L January 2000, Week 3

Sugarbush, VT 16JAN00

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Jan 2000 00:23:23 -0500

        The word had been out for a few days that snow might be coming
for the weekend.  This isn't normally such a big deal, but this season
we've been starving for a weekend powder day.  This was a clipper-type
low pressure system, and although it was pretty weak as it crossed the
great lakes, it was supposed to strengthen a bit as it reached New
England, and possibly even bomb out off shore to give Eastern New
England an extra punch.  The snowfall was forecast to start in
Burlington around midnight, with maybe an inch accumulation by morning.
It was, however, supposed to drop 2-5 inches during the day, and we were
of course hoping for even more in the mountains.  We had a crew of four
on this trip: J.Spin, E, Mango and Bennett (follow the links below for
visuals of the crew).
        I awoke in the early A.M., and checked outside to see what was
going on.  As usual, Burlington had received its standard dusting of
snow, and not much was really falling from the sky.  I was initially
concerned that the storm had fizzled, but a quick check with the Weather
Channel revealed that other stations such as Montpelier and Morrisville
were reporting snow, or at least light snow.  NOAA Weather radio still
reported a winter weather advisory, so hope was not lost.  As we headed
out, we encountered light snow along much of the route, but the roads
were still in good shape since accumulations were just getting underway.

Part 1:  The Morning That Fizzled?

        8:07 A.M., we caught one of the first few chairs on the Super
Bravo and headed up.  The snow that was falling was essentially light
(in falling intensity that is) , composed of very small grains.  We got
off the Super Bravo and hooked left to catch first tracks on Murphy's
Glades.  We found about 1-2 inches of new snow on top of the groomed
base, and it made for a sweet ride (although certainly not a bottomless
one).  The four of us devoured the open expanse of Murphy's and headed
over to Heaven's Gate to see if it was open.  The lift op said not until
8:30 A.M., so we headed down to catch another run off the Super Bravo.
This time, we took Downspout in an effort to get back to Heaven's Gate
as quickly as possible.  Conditions were similar to what we had
experienced on Murphy's, but with a few more tracks.  We got to Heaven's
Gate just in time to catch the second chair, and headed up.  Although
temperatures on Saturday had been around 0 F, the passing storm system
was pulling in air from the south and brought the temperatures up into
the teens and near 20 degrees.  This warmer air was of course
accompanied by ample wind in some spots, especially the top of Heaven's
Gate.  We then went for a run down Jester, hoping to find a bit more
snow that the 1-2 inches below.  Unfortunately, the elevation had not
done much to grab more snow, but we did get some great turns in the same
manner we'd had earlier.  The 1-2 new inches gave a nice soft feel as we
arced through the many turns of Upper Jester.  This time for the lower
mountain, we took Domino Chute with some combination of Lower Jester and
Lower Organgrinder to the bottom.  The snow had unfortunately not picked
up in intensity, but on the upside, this meant that we could shoot some
video.
        We were getting ready to head up the Gate House Quad, and James
had his first Buzz kill of the day.  A misinformed lift attendant
thought that Bronze Passes were blacked out for the holiday weekend, and
James had to get a note from the pass office saying otherwise.  Mango,
with an identical pass, had not been stopped, so we handed James a
Talkabout and headed for a run.  James was real speedy though, and we
were able to hold for him at the top and get everyone back together.
North Lynx was still on wind hold, so we headed down Pushover Chute to
Pushover.  We found nice snow along this route, as well as along the
skier's left of Lower Hot Shot.  Up we went on the Gate House again and
started on the same route.  It wasn't long however, before we found
ourselves in the woods checking out some interesting new terrain.  The
new snow that they had received earlier in the week (6 inches or so from
what I recall), combined with the couple of inches from the morning,
made these woods (low elevation, only about 2000') just passable
enough.  We were psyched to find enough coverage in there, and finished
off by catching more tracks on the left of Easy Rider in the untouched
snow (about 3-4 inches here to the left of where they traditionally
groom).  We also managed to squeak in a couple runs on Sleeper and
Sleeper Chutes before the crowds arrived.  The woods off of Sleeper were
also skiable, wherever downed branches weren't too plentiful.
        We arrived back at the base to find that the whole world had
arrived at the 'bush.  We've found that lift lines are pretty rare at
Sugarbush with all their high speed lifts etc., but the holiday weekend
combined with a bit of new snow must have brought everyone out of the
woodwork.  Lift lines were present at both the Gate House Quad, and the
Super Bravo Quad, so we decided that we needed to look around for
another lift.  Fortunately, the Spring Fling and Valley House Chairs
were now running.  The Valley House line was already getting long, but
Spring Fling had only a few people, so we decided to go there.
Unfortunately, it would be 20 minutes before they could start loading.
Ugh!  The now forming crowds, as well as the tapering off of the snow
and the actual appearance of Blue skies had brought a bit of a lull in
the groove we'd had going.  It was time for a break!

INTERMISSION

        Since we didn't want to deal with the lift lines, we decided to
have some fun in the fresh snow below the Snow Creek Condos near the
tubing park.  We set up camp there for about 30 minutes and shot some
good video.  I was anxious to see if  E, Mango, and James could ski the
entire slope, holding hands, no poles etc.  Although both Mango and
James refused to be in the middle and hold each other's hand (haha), the
conceded to go through with the shot as long as E was in the middle.  I
was hoping for a spectacular crash, but unfortunately they put on a
flawless performance and all I got were shots of beautiful turns (see
links below for an image).  This of course raises the bar, and next time
they will have to do something more difficult.  After a quick lunch at
the Valley House, I plotted schemes for the afternoon.  Little did we
know that things would pick up as hard as they did: HEAVY SNOW, TREE
SKIING, DEEP POWDER, UNTRACKED TRAIL, AND JAMES GETS IN MORE TROUBLE
WITH THE LAW.  All coming up in part 2 below.

Part 2:  The Powdery Afternoon That Almost Wasn't

        I can't believe how close we came to leaving after lunch.  I
really can't.  The crowds, lack of snow, and general malaise that had
set in had us right on the edge of calling it a day.  We decided to hit
Spring Fling, and as we rode the lift, we could see what a mess the
traffic was on the trail below.  Due to the fact that Racer's Edge had a
race going on and was closed, as well as the fact that 75% of the Spring
Fling trail was closed off near the bottom for construction of the
Aerial Assault Jump, everyone on the trails was compressed into a 40
foot wide section that had the traffic of a rush-hour freeway.  I
reassured E that although that was the only way out of the bottom of
Spring Fling, and that we were taking Spring Fling, we would NOT be
going that way ;).  The snow on the skier's left of Spring Fling was
looking nice, so we decided to ski the ridge and see what powder we
could find along the edge.  Soon we began to make bigger sweeps around
trees into the woods, then it became short sections of woods, and before
long, we found ourselves in the trees more than on the trail and getting
deeper.  The snow in there was great, 6-12 inches of powder, with
adequate coverage to open up many lines.  These woods are not
traditionally all that open with lines anyway, but what little was there
could be skied.  We headed to the left and suddenly came out on an
untracked trail with small bumps covered by a few inches of new snow.
"What's This?!"  We soon realized that we were on Lower Moonshine, and
although the upper section was open and coverage was fine, it appeared
as though the bottom section was closed because it dumped out amidst the
snow cats that were working on the Aerial Assault Jump.  "Whoops.", we
thought as we looked up and saw the rope across the trail.  Ignorance is
bliss in this case however, and we enjoyed the nice lines all over
Moonshine until it cut back to the right.  This was, after all, the
easiest way down off this closed trail.  Mango advised that we dive back
into the woods on the left to avoid coming out in the roped off area,
and potentially crunched up by a snowcat.  We all agreed and cut hard to
the left towards the Mall.  The Mall actually seemed to have excellent
conditions, "a bit bony" as it had been a couple weeks before, but very
nice snow and excellent coverage on the sidelines. I motioned my hand in
a sweeping gesture to the left,

"Now Mango", I said, "If I was to gesture my hand like this, what would
you think it meant?"

...and soon we were back in the trees.  The snow on the Mall was nice,
but it couldn't compare to the powder that we'd found in the trees.  The
woods opened up nicely and dropped us out onto Coffee Run.  The
excitement factor had returned in just one simple unplanned run, so we
hopped on the Valley House Chair, eager to gobble up some more untracked
powder in the woods.
        We got off the Valley House Chair and headed left onto
Snowball.  James seemed interested in checking out the woods off of
Twist, so in we went.  This snow was the best of the day, 6-12 inches
plus, well protected by the dense trees.  We'd been in here before, but
it was great as always.  We shot a little bit of video, but it sure was
tough to pull ourselves away from the skiing long enough to get images
on film.  Before long, we found ourselves back on the Mall, once again
ripping up the fresh snow on the left hand side.
        Something curious began to happen after this run.  The snow from
the morning had stopped, and even a bit of blue sky had appeared in the
late morning, but now the snow returned, with a vengeance.  These were
not tiny granular flakes of the morning, these were huge, fluffy,
crystalline entities that make super fluff.  And these flakes hadn't
brought along just a few of their friends, it was seriously DUMPING.
This was in the 1-2 inch and hour category, where a ride on the lift
means a quarter inch of accumulation on your clothes.  It was enough to
make a powder skier giggle.  We decided to test out a stash that I had
found last year, sort of "on the boundary".  We continued to traverse
until I decided we needed to start downward.  James noticed that the
traverse continued, even though we were dropping down.

"Hey", hey asked, "Any idea where that goes?"
"Well", I said, "I'm not exactly sure, but have you ever heard of
Granville" ;)

        We still have to explore that route sometime in the future, it
may provide a mellower option to what we took.  Down we headed, right
into the fall line finding slightly less snow that in the Twistmall
woods, but deep enough for good turns.  It was still snowing like a bat
out of hell anyway, so we knew things would only get better.  Some
members of our party (not mentioning any namEs, lol) were beginning to
get a little worn out from skiing all the trees, so we decided to head
over to check out North Lynx (no longer on wind hold) before we left.
We took Valley house first, and on the way via Reverse Traverse, we got
our first look at Egan's Woods from the top (roped off but looking in
nice shape).  It's a Hardwood glade of smallish birches and such,
moderately steep, about 5-10 foot tree spacing.  On our way down, I
hopped into a random woods section somewhere near lower Organgrinder
"just to check it out".  James got his second buzz kill of the day when
a patroller stopped him about 50 feet into the woods and forced him to
hike out.  He said that the woods weren't really open yet.  (I'd contest
that they're never really open, you just ski them and that's kind of
it.)  It seemed he was most concerned that the section of woods dumped
off into a closed trail, which is certainly a good point.  I was not
seen, but fortunately I came out of the woods just above the roped off
section.  I never met the patroller, but I have to think that the closed
trail was his main concern, as other patrollers that had seen us in the
woods that day didn't seem to mind.
        It was still snowing, and HARD.  This pretty much gave me a sort
of unlimited energy supply that could have lasted me for hours.  Snow
starvation will do that I guess.  Still, we planned to hit North Lynx a
bit and call it a day.  We skied Birch Run, and found nice snow along
the skier's right.  Mango and E headed for the lodge, and James and I
finished off with a fun-filled powder run down Sunshine.  It had great
bumps, but the best stuff was the powder that was collecting on the
skier's left; 4-6 inches and counting.  We finally headed down, hitting
the steep face of Waterfall to finish off our day.  It was still
dumping, but we had to go :(  The report I heard on Monday was that they
picked up about 4-6 inches new.

The "Random Equipment Modification Award" goes to - Mango for ripping a
good sized hole in his hood and never even knowing about it until the
end of the day.  I wouldn't want to be the tree that did that, bring on
the Gore patch kit.

The "Hey, what the?!" award goes to - J.Spin for losing his hood to a
grabby tree in the woods.  Fortunately, my old hood is fashionably and
functionally  equipped with buttons for "rip away" style performance.
Otherwise - I'd probably have a hole like Mango.  It wasn't the first
time, and it won't be the last.

The "I'm a Really Nice Guy in the Wrong Place at the Wrong Time Award" -
James for getting in trouble with both the ski patrol AND the ticket
checkers.

Best Crash of the day - Mango head over heels in the woods near the
Mall, of course it was not caught on film :(

Images associated with this report (5 IMAGES) can be viewed at:
http://www.uvm.edu/~jsilveir/16JAN00.html

A collection of reports and images for the season thus far, as well as
some of the faces that go with the names can be viewed at:
http://www.uvm.edu/~jsilveir/main.html

J.Spin