SKIVT-L January 2000, Week 3

Swampfest/Canada Dry/etc. Part II

Dan Barron <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Jan 2000 01:49:37 -0500

Orford, Quebec

Heavy snow all day. Drove there in a caravan from N. Troy Inn, sharing a
ride, a Dead tape and fun conversation w my roomie for the weekend,
Michael Bernstein (who was now on his third country in two days, having
arrived in NYC's JFK--no, the Big Apple, contrary to some folks'
opinion, does not count as a separate country--late Friday night from an
over-extended business trip to London).

The ride was sort of a "false-alarm white knuckler." You've got the
steering wheel in a death grip but really, everything seemed to be
gripping fine. Until...
As we're slowly exiting the Canadian highway, Michael starts going,
"uhh, hello. Hello. HEL-LO." Two cars ahead of us, Jim Dugan's mini-van
is doing a slow 180. Rich Ramsden, one car ahead of us, is swerving to
avoid, and likewise, I start pumping my brakes, to somewhat less effect
than I'd prefer. Managed to refrain from any and all bumper car action
but only thanks to Michael's early warning. We got out, and with Eric K,
pushed Jim out of the snow bank and back onto the exit ramp. We were now
fully awake.

Orford lodge is big and circular and confusing. I never did learn to
recognize the front from the back from the left from the right until I
stepped outside, by which time, if I'd guessed wrong, I was rather far
from where I wanted to be.

Marc G finds us our celebrity treatment tour-guide for the day, Charles
Billodot (sp?). He looks like a young, 20-something snowboarder. We're
all (Marc, Rich, Michael B, Jim D., Eric and Jane, Leigh and Briar) on
skis. I'm thinkin' here comes a boring-ass, by-the-book tour. How wrong
I was. Charles (that's "zsharll," as in DeGaulle) asks do we want glades
or... and--quick as the boys in the Bud commercial (6-pack or TP) say
"paper"--we say "glades." We head down a thinly-treed blue-squarish
glade next to the lift line. But something is not as I expect. This blue
square is rippling with dips and bumps and mini contours. And the snow
is deep and soft. It's a blast. Things are beginning to look promising.
 On the next run they turn downright ecstatic.

Further East (I think. It's to the left on the trail map) on the
mountain we (minus Leigh and Briar) skate off the lift to the edge of a
steep, open bank. Now is when I'm glad for the steeps I did yesterday on
Green Beret. At least I feel ready to pull out my big wide tele turns.
But... at the bottom, here, is a facing wall of trees as a new hill
starts to rise. What's this, a bobsled run into a certain concussion?
No, at the bottom, Charles bangs a hard right and we follow along a
slightly rising catwalk, around a bend.

We turn the corner and approach Nirvana. To our left, a thin
single-track ski trail leads through the trees to Dubreuil. Down and to
our right are nameless woods. We go straight, onto the narrow-ish (maybe
three lines wide?) Boogie. It is sweet powder snow. Not quite first
tracks but close enough. The trail dips and turns and leans and
surprises. Boulders abound. It is steep in parts, less so in others. It
is a beauty. The feel is more like a woods exploraton than a ski trail.
We are whooping it up.

Marc G is in glee. Jim D. is feeling much more comfortable in the woods
than the day before. Rich Ramsden's tele turns are looking more and more
solid. Eric is gliding effortlessly and Jane is looking more and more
confident and powerful with every new challenge (one memory stands out
from later in the day: a short steep pitch, that no one in our group has
managed especially well. Jane approaches, surveys. She looks a bit
apprehensive. Then she pushes off and cranks two or three perfect turns,
gliding down with enough grace and control to make the section look
absolutely easy and the rest of us look absolutely bad. Jane scored big
points with all of us this day.) Dick Carlson is dealing with skis that
absolutely refused to stay on his feet. He scored points for
persistence. Dick dug himself out of more snow than I thought possible.
You gotta take your hat off to someone who keeps going like that. He was
not having an easy day. He struggled, but he did not complain.

Me, I'm swooping and grinning, linking some, falling some, linking some
more and happy as you can get while out trampling through a stormy,
pillowy snowland, which is to say just about as happy as you can get.
Tele-ing, to me, seems to be more about aiming big carving turns than
cranking out quick ones like alpiners do. At one point I'm flying across
and down the trail, narrowly but unfailingly missing the trees (a
priority, you know), when Marc and Eric, from below, say they thought
I'd bought the farm. I say I didn't know it was for sale. It was that
kind of day.

Michael B had the signature run of the morning. He was cruising fast
when one of the trail's many sudden rocks suddenly popped him up into
the air. "Oh!" he weant, in a sort of replay of the earlier car ride
exclamations I'd heard on the slippery exit ramp. He landed on another
rock, which popped him up again, "OH!!" Then a third. "OOOHHHH!!!
Michael looked like he'd controlled his rockin' and rollin' with perfect
form. Later he said that from the inside of his head, looking out, the
feeling was more like panic than control. You never would have known it.

Matt D and Jerm appeared out of nowhere, then rocketed off ahead. Guide
Charles, who seemed to be patiently enjoying our eager enthusiasm, was
truly impressed with their gungho skills. Michael B shot off in pursuit.
I'm not sure if he caught up right away, but after lunch those three
went off to ski cliffs.

The rest of the day was just more and more and more of the same. What
tedium ;>).

Favorite trails (though not by much) were that initial Boogie and later,
long Passe a L'Ours (Bear path) which featured one sick (for me) steep
hourglass, as well as many unfolding glade shots. Rich Ramsden did a
not-quite-intentional but totally smooth and effective little back roll
through it. His skis zipped around over his head and made the crucial
turn instantly and accurately. He made many more turns through the day
that he felt better about about, but none that we others enjoyed more.

Off the mountain:
Our twenty-something-looking guide took off his ski wrappings inside the
bar and revealed a forty something head flecked with gray hairs. He'd
skied for 25 years, then boarded for the last 15. Charles was a mellow,
patient, friendly and totally expert guide. Did i mention it was a
pleasure to ski with him?

Later, off the mountain. Dinner in N. Troy with the crew plus Mom Evelyn
Guido was absolutely great camaraderie. Jim got a little bit boozy and
started talking about how this was the best bunch of people he'd ever in
his life done anything with and Michael piped up about how "Gee Jim, you
gotta get out more 'cause I don't know about the rest of the group but
me, myself, personally, I'm a scumbag." You had to be there. Both Jim's
warm words and Michael's wiseguy reparte were dead on.

And thus ends Day 2.

Tomorrow, Sutton.

This is telenaut, saying that's the way it was. January 16, 2000.