]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  January 2000, Week 4

MEDLIB-L January 2000, Week 4

Summary - MDConsult and Registration Options - LONG!

"Klawansky, Susan" <[log in to unmask]>

Klawansky, Susan

Tue, 25 Jan 2000 11:20:31 -0800

Last week I asked how you all had set up your registrations for MDConsult,
in terms of IP or non-IP restriction and the difficulty of having the latter
while also insuring that users are indeed affiliates of one's institution.
Thanks to all who responded, and for those interested, here are the

Susan

************
Susan L. Klawansky, Librarian
Hospital Library CH-38
206-526-2098 (p)
Children's Hospital & Regional Medical Center            206-527-3838 (f)
P.O. Box 5371
4800 Sand Point Way NE
Seattle, WA  98105
************

We were able to set up an arrangement with MSConsult for remote use. We
were allowed to set up a private registration page. Once registered, the
user could access the account from anywhere.

I would suggest talking to MDC - we've found them very helpful. Also, they
are amenable to supplying a list of people registered upon request. With
that, we can go in periodically and delete individuals who are not
supposed to be registered.
___________________

We do something a little different with one of our other databases.  We use
just one of the IDs and passwords that the vendor gave us.  Then we
distribute that to everyone for a year.  At the end of the year, we change
the password.  You can register everyone and then notify them at the end of
the year (leaving off those who are no longer at your facility).  Or just
change the password, put out an announcement that the current staff can call
the library for the new password.
It is a pain though.  We ended up using individual IDs with MDConsult.
___________________

We are one of the users of MD Consult. So I can share with you how it works.
Set it up with IP address ranges of your institution (191.162.*.*); this
will
allow anyone at the institution to register in your group only on-site at
your
institution wherever they can get access to a computer. Once they are
registered and afilliated in the process with your license and secured their
own name and password, the individual can log into http://www.mdconsult.com
from anywhere in the world that they are located. They all vie for the 3
simultaneous user license. If all 3 licenses are in use by members of the
group, the next user is denied access and will have to retry a few minutes
later. There is an automatic timeout for any user logged into the system of
15
minutes; so if they donot use it in 15 minutes time, they are automatically
logged out. MD Consult keeps records; so you will be able to identify how
many
times people were denied access and then this will give you the data you
will
need to convince the money mongers to give you some more for Md Consult. You
will also hear from your customers and you can get their backing for more
fiscal support. Below is the text from our remote computer services pages
that
we use to help our customers register for MD Consult. Most people follow the
directions. The biggest problem is that people donot put in the Group ID
when
they register and then some forget their name and password. But we have over
23000 registered users that use MD
Consult. We have people using it around the world so we know it works. Good
luck with the process. There are some other things that we do with MD
Consult
and other products that may be useful. Do you plan to have a server with the
MD Consult and other products on the internet that your customers can look
at?
We have pulled all of the books and journals out of MD Consult and built
them
into a separate menu that the customer can use to get at what they are
exactly
looking for. They find this very useful and we have cut many steps into one
for the books on Md Consult. Oh, well enough for now. Let me know if you
need
further assistance. We have been on the net for a number of years and have
lived thru the nightmares of making things work.

                                                        Text  From Our
Internet Site

MD Consult

  MD Consult is most
  effectively used as a
  registered member. As
  a member, you'll
  receive information
  tailored to your
  specialties and interests.
  Even though LRC
  subsidizes your access
  to MD Consult, you
  must complete the
  registration process
  once.

                          To register as an MD
                          Consult member, click the
                          icon for instructions.
                          Allow time to complete the
                          forms.

                                                   MD Consult Registration
                                                       Instructions

                          If you've already
                          registered, click the icon ->
                          to sign-in to MD Consult
                          as a "member."

                                                 MD Consult's Member Sign-in

About MD Consult

MD Consult provides comprehensive online information for physicians -
featuring articles from leading medical journals, full text of definitive
reference
books, selections from the Clinics of North America, practice guidelines,
and
drug information. MD Consult lets you search across the entire collection of
33
top reference books, 450 full-text clinical practice guidelines contributed
by
more than 25 medical societies and government agencies, complete articles of
current and back issues from 44 key medical journals and Clinics.
Subscribers
can have access to 2,500 acclaimed Patient Education Handouts and to current
prescribing Drug information for 45,000 Medications, including cost of
therapy
and information on unspecified uses. Registered members can access STAT, a
personalized daily update that summarizes the latest medical literature in
your area of interest and lets you discuss hot topics and current therapies
with
colleagues in MD Consult's subject-focused Discussion Groups. MD Consult's
Continuing Medical Education (CME) center is one of the largest collections
of for-credit materials online. It includes more than 200 review and update
modules, each offering 1.5 category 1 credits, for a total of 300 hours of
Category 1
credits towards the AMA Physician's Recognition Award.

To learn more about how to use MD Consult, click on the MD Consult's Online
Help page.

   MD Consult is available to any LRC patron with current Remote Services
Account.
   Account holders may subscribe from any location on the Internet. LRC pays
for your subscription to this database.

 Author: LRC AMI Support Staff(Raji)
 Page Last Updated: 9/25/98

MD Consult Subscription Instructions

Steps to subscribe to MD Consult's Services:
 Step 1.
                 Print these instructions.
                 You may find it helpful to print these instructions before
proceeding. Click on this page now. Select Print
                 Frame... from the File menu.

 Step 2.
                  Click here to go to MD Consult's Registration page.

 Step 3.
                 In the Identification Information page, complete all
fields.
Don't forget to record your username and
                 password. It's separate from your LRC Remote Services
username and password.

 Step 4.
               In the MD Consult's Subscription Options page,

               choose "Special Promotion or Organization Subscription Code:"
and enter "  Your instutions ID provided to you by MD Consult" in the code
field
               provided. Click on the Continue button.

 Step 5.
              If the Subscription code is entered right, you will see a
Subscription Plan Confirmation page that looks like:

              Click on the I Accept button.

 Step 6.
                 You will be taken to MD Consult's homepage where you can
use
your MD Consult subscription immediately.
                 A confirmation of your subscription will be sent to you at
the E-Mail address you provided.

 Author: Raji Annamalai
 Page Last Updated: 8/1/99

_______________________

This is conjecture.
If your hosital offers e-mail, see if MD consult can set it up to accept
registration from only your hospital e-mail(like ours is obici.com; and
yours is CHMC.ORG) .  Your "rotate through" folks lose e-maili
capability when they leave so thatwould stop them maintaining access
after they are out of your jurisdiction.
Also they may be able to set up some sort of time driven
renewal/verification system for the individual registrants.  With a
renewal system generated by MDConsult,(semester or year) registration
ID's that haven't been used in an agreed upon amount of time could be
automatically dropped (maybe with notification going to you, or Human
Resources Dept. or Medical Administration (so you don't take the flack
when someone who goes "on" twice a year finds he/she needs to
re-register)
Ask; the worst they can do is say "no."
_______________________

I believe there is a way to set up a proxy for home use-- they really want
it from home I have found and I would do all I could to accomodate them
_______________________

We just changed from IP-restriction to Library-issued passwords.
  We just started MDC in August, and I started out with the IP-restricted
account because I wanted to keep it simple at first till I got a handle on
how this was going to go.  We are a 250-bed community teaching hospital,
affiliated with a nursing college and two residency programs in Int Med &
Fam Pract, with about 300 attendings on staff - I don't know how comparable
that is with your facility.

Do you *want* staff who got access while they were working at your facility
to be able to continue accessing it even when they've left?  My thought is
if this hospital is funding it, then it should allow access only to
currently affiliated staff - it doesn't seem right that 3 non-affiliated
users somewhere else could clog access for current staff.  Our residents, at

least, have to go through a sign-out process, so my inclination is going to
be to cancel their access once they have left (for this reason we change the

access code to the Library after hours too, once a year).

So far I have not found the issuing of passwords to be that big a problem.
MDC sent me the list of IDs and passwords; I dumped them into a spreadsheet.

  I just add their names, status, etc. to the sheet, and I have a form
e-mail letter set up - all I do is change the ID and password and send.
They call me, e-mail me, whatever, and I just shoot out the info by email.
I did a Grand Rounds presentation in December to demo the product, so
they've already gotten a basic intro to it.

I guess my bottom line is that SO FAR, issuing the individual passwords has
not proven that onerous to administer.  We have yet to see how it develops -

as you well know, no matter how thoughtful a system one sets up, there will
ALWAYS be someone or something who will push it or fall outside it!  Good
luck!
_______________________

Susan, does your hospital have a web page?  Would it be possible to add
a layer of security to the web page so that a physician would sign in
once, and get a cookie.  Then make the IP of your web server be the IP
address for MD Consult. Physicians will be able to access anywhere they
can get to your web site, but you wouldn't have to worry if someone let
your institution.
_______________________

We make our products like MDConsult available through a remote access
program, one which assigns a dynamic IP address to registered users. Thus
far, we've had to rely on users dialing into our server to be able to do
this but we're just days (I hope) away from being able to do it via the
internet. We've found that our users are willing to do the rigamarole and
we've even managed to get new library cardholders as a result of this
program.

increments).  There was no mention of concurrent users (or maybe they really
don't check)  and they provided me with the passwords. I , with the help of
the Marketing Dept, sent out a flyer to all our physicians (over a 1,000)
and said if they are interested call or email me for a password.  This has
worked very well with around 200 physicains calling over a 4-6 week period.
_____________________

We have 4 line for MDConsult and use both IP and password (they register
here in the library, but it's done online and they choose their own
password).  In order to get in from home, they must be dialing in thru
their Tulane email account, not thru AOL or some commercial vendor.
When they leave Tulane, either finishing their residency or graduating,
their free email account is cancelled by the university computer
services and they can no longer get into MDConsult.

If you all have any such IP recognizing remote access, that would work.
Otherwise, it would be bad to have people no longer at your institution
roaming the world with a password.
_____________________

We opted for a combo   IP access for our network computers,  plus an
additional group license with passwords which is offered only to our medical
staff physicians(for their office/home use).   Also keep in mind that
residents can get MDConsult at a discount , so you might consider a yearly
resident group account , if you want them to have  home access, in addition
to network IP access.
_____________________

We have MDConsult here.  We use the non-IP restricted method.
A person has to logon through our Intranet.  This makes it
so that once a student leaves Providence, they are not able
to use their password away from outside our system.  I've tried
to access it from home myself, and it really doesn't work.
______________________

I have a suggestion:  to check with the medical school (if that is
possible) that you are affiliated with and see if the students and
residents have access to the MDConsult via the web or by connecting to
the Medical school web with their codes.  I know that Northwestern
students here can do it.  SO can the "teaching faculty", but not others
at the hospital.
______________________

We have MDConsult & our docs love it.  It was paid for with higher
headquaters money & we were not permitted to say which approach we wanted.
So, we have only individual user name & password access.  In my view, the
best of all worlds is both IP authentication within the hospital & user
name/password for staff to use where ever.  It boils down to the fact that
temporary folks can not use 'our' MDConsult.
______________________

We have access to MD Consult set up with IP restriction.  We are a teaching
hospital with a situation similar to yours.  However, nobody can have access
unless they are:
1.      On campus.
OR
2.      Dialing into our server.  Registration to this is restricted to our
employees only.  Anyone else can use it on campus, and they usually come to
the library to do so.

The issuing and/or use of passwords is just too much for us to handle.  We
have some faculty who have individual subscriptions with passwords, which
allows them to stay logged on for extended periods (up to 6 hours).  But
most of them are dropping the individual subscriptions in favor of using our
IP access, even though the connections will time out after 15 minutes of
non-use.  We have a 2-user institutional license, and as mentioned above,
all access is IP restricted.