SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE February 2000

Re: Germline Genetic Engineering

Ivan <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 Feb 2000 16:43:34 -0600

I think this is very good. I hope the final draft can generate some publicity
since almost every item in the news that concerns genetic engineering bubbles
over with how this technology is going to "improve" life. I think it is crucial
that the public hear the other side and hear it often.

One addition that I can't articulate to my satisfaction is that germline
engineering may be frought with more danger than we may be able to understand
until generations after the damage has been done. Humans have evolved due to
natural selection, a process that is still not well understood. At this point
in history we don't even know if the outcome of simple non-genetic disease
remedies such as antibiotics will turn out to have been anything but a short
term cure. Some diseases such as TB are now coming back with a vengence. There
are no known risks to human survival that germline genetic engineering can
solve. Furthermore, these techniques are bound to be expensive which raises
up the spectre of class differences running down to the genetic level. The
societal implications of that are also anything but clear.

--
Ivan Handler
Senior Consultant