SKIVT-L February 2000, Week 1

MRG, 2/5-2/6

"Mark P. Renson" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 6 Feb 2000 22:51:22 -0500

        White blur of a weekend.  You'd think that after an orgasmic week of
powder skiing in Interior BC that skiing back East these last 2 weeks would
be a letdown.  WRONG.  DEAD WRONG.  Uh ah.  .... nope.
        Saturday started off on a downer.  Management had placed a large lump of
snow in front of the Basebox and we patrollers had to shape it into steps
and slides so that the Rug Rats/Yard Apes could play on it.  weeee .....
 Then it was reported to us that a lot of grooming was done - too much for
my liking as I was to find out.
        Hopped on Double and patrolled Gazelle Woods finding nice tracked fluff
and descending into something else - all this skiing is becoming a great
white blur.  Second run, I took care of Panther and S-Turn, revelling in
the great snow off of the headwall on the left.  Next, it was another ride
on the Double and into the first shot off of ___  and into the _ _ a _ _
Woods.
        Hopped onto The Single and hit the Catamount Chute into the Bowl and hit
the groomed Upper Antelope through the sharp corner , etc .... etc.  more
fun stuff.
        I did some woods shots that I can't remember, but they were good.  I was
curious about finding the Chimney - a long lost chute that I had not skied
since April, 1993 that got bombed in the ice storm.  As I peered into what
I thought was Chimney, I encountered 2 Hartford Ski Club members and we 3
skied it.  It seemed different than what I had remember, but a great run
nontheless.  Next, I made first tracks on a sweet band that I and
semi-lurker Jay (he sez' he quit the list when he found out that 145 pound
 _Dana_  telemarks on 203cm boards) hacked out in mid November.  .... went
down upper Fall Line and drifted into the Fall-Dice labrynth, making my way
to Paradise.
        .... went down upper Grand Canyon on skiers left when I got a little scare
when I "spaced" a bit and almost lost it into the trees, recovering by
making an out-of-control turn into the middle of the trail - Yikes!, I
thought, I figured I was losing energy and letting my joy and enthusiasm
carry me past my physical abilities.  So, I thought it best to head down
Bunny for a break at the Basebox .... temptation got the better of me and I
just had to detour and go for a stream gully parallel to _ _ _e_   _l_ _ _
e .
        After running into plaid Gary Crofton, I brought my lunch to the Birdcage,
then I headed up the Single.  Since I bypassed the headwall earlier, I felt
that out of respect I should do the entire lenght of Paradise for the first
time this year.  At the top, I ran into Kathy Baumann who was bringing a
friend - or at least she used to be a friend - to Paradise for her first
time.  The tough part of the 'Dice headwall (the frozen waterfall) is that
unless you take it blindly head on just to the left of the center (think of
yourself as a halfback sprinting out of an I-formation through the hole
between the Center and Left Guard - I think that's I-24, ain't it?), you
can be stuck leaping onto some awkward bumps.  Anyway, I landed hard but
successfully and grunted my way down to an island of trees and watched
Kathy's friend splatter, yet make a positive impression on an audience
while Kathy went wide right through the tight trees but into the good snow
that tends to accumulate on that line.  After 2 or 3 more smaller ice
floes, we hit bottom.
        I had to hurry back to the Patrol Shack for Sled & Togoggan training, so I
took a great Green run off of the Birdland chair down Periwinkle, picking
up great ungroomed stuff on the sides and enjoying a fantastic roller
coaster ride.
        Next was toboggan training.  Three of us headed to Fall Line where I was
to sit in the sled while I was lowered down the bumps, ledges and rocks
while I took notes.  At the bottom of Creamery, I took over and pulled the
sled with Bob in it down upper Bunny and Grand Canyon, finally gaining some
confidence and proficiencies about halfway down lower 'Canyon.  It was
strenuous work and I need more practice before I pull someone down Fall
Line - the final exam.
        Last run was "sweep".  I was getting fried, so of course I was assigned
Paradise.  My assigment was to go right, so I took it literally by going
right of the headwall.  Near the bottom, I took a nasty spill with the
handle pulling out of my pole.  This caused me to burn up time in the
dwindling light in the snow squalls which got me some demerits from the
patrolling crew.
        I was dead tired at day's end ..... BUT some volunteers were wanted to do
the torchlight parade at 6PM down the Practice Slope, so I suited up again
for some interdepartmental bonding with the Ski School.  ... plus I got
some free reeb.
        Next day ..... 3-6 inches of fluffy candy per the report.  Cold winds
howled under gin clear skies.  I was told that I should participate in some
rescue drills at 1:00.  My heart sank, but I knew that I could make up for
it by skiing hard all morning.  Lurker Charlie Bates was on patrol and a
bunch of us headed up the Single.  I was still a bit burnt from the prior
day, so guess what I was assigned to inspect ... right, Paradise!  I plowed
through the drifts, making first tracks and leaping over the headwall.
 Skiing was tentative at first since I did not know what lurked below the
fluff - was it glare ice?  The solitude was sweet and I found a great line
and then headed into Bunny to complete my patrolling.  I skied at a
frenetic pace through the morning.  Some highlights were:  the second shot
off of ___ , Quacky Woods, nailing the narrow chute into the top of Upper
Glade and into the sweet fluff in the lower part of Liftline, getting knee
deep in the connector between the Chute ledges and Catamount, getting first
tracks in another band that Jay and I cut (real sweet; it made me think of
this interview I saw with one of those 2 burnouts that nailed that mega
extreme north face of Mt Robson where he spoke of the wonderful bliss of
powder skiing), the Patroller Pardy woods (he wasn't too thrilled when he
caught me in there violating woods skiing policies a year ago) and a
surprise shot of knee deep untracked fluff that was on the side of Robin.
 There was other stuff, too, but it was all a white blur.
        After doing some rescue scenarios, I had time for a blue
Antelope/Porcupine run, finding great stuff on the edges.  At day end
sweep, they were easy on me, giving me Chute for my assignment.  I biffed
in the left jug handle, hurting my pride.  But seeing fellow patroller Jep
ripping a bump line only inspired me, much like Dave "Stop the Brutal
Grooming" Barcomb does or Iron Mapadu's relentless powder feeding frenzy;
 so, my weary body cranked out some nice lines that brightened me up,
followed by a great run Grand Canyon, finding nice bumps.
        Phew!! ..... Friday, it's Smuggs ..... can't wait!!!  Life is s-o-o-o-o
good!!  Old School Vermont skiing RULES!

Mark