Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  February 2000, Week 1

SKIVT-L February 2000, Week 1

Seven Springs PA

"Scott T. Clark AFSAC/ITT" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Feb 0100 08:36:20 -0500

WARNING:  This report contains predominantly non-VT content and is
rated SG for references to snowmaking and grooming.

Jeanine and I wanted to get in a weekend of skiing somewhere before we
head up to Mont Tremblant in two weeks.  The criteria we established were
a decent (by regional standards) vertical, reliable snow, within a half
days drive, and lodging nearby that would accept our canine companions
Hamish and Gracie.

Someone locally suggested we try Seven Springs in PA, a venerable resort in
the Laurel Highlands, and also a place where we had never skied before.
Our base of operations was that lovely PA Turnpike waystation Somerset PA,
a short 18 miles away.

Since some sort of major winter precipitation event was predicted, and
considering our snow/roadtrip karma, we made sure to mention to our
respective bosses on Friday that there was a possibility that we MAY get
snowed in on Sunday.

For those of you not familiar with the place, it is an honest 750' vertical
regional powerhouse a mere one hours drive away from Pittsburgh, but also
close to the Ohio and Washington DC markets.  The area has been going through
a family legal squabble for the past year (or more) regarding the sale of the
area to Booth Creek Holdings.  They have a huge hotel (with a bowling alley
and indoor putt-putt), numerous bars and retaurants, condos strung across
ridglines, and a state-park-like feel.  You can get your lift tickets from
booths at the entrace to the resort, and the different lodges make extensive
use of logs and rough hewn wood.

It is also the home of Herman K. Dupre, aka HKD, of snowmaking fame.  We
were, the sign told us, at the "Home of the World's Most Efficient
Snowmaking System".  For anyone with an appreciation for snowmaking, this
was like making a pilgrimmage!  Small ponds scattered around the place feed
a lake at the top, and everywhere were the eponymous "giraffe" snowguns.  In
fact, it was like skiing at a snowmaking museum, as there were what seemed to
be early models fabricated with galvanized pipe and elbows, models of varying
lengths and adjustability, as well as the commerically available ones.  Cool.

The end product?  From our experience this weekend I'd say fantastic.  But I
digress...  The area spreads out across a ridge, with the top having an
elevation of just shy of 3,000 feet.  This helps it attract natural snow, but
also makes for some windy conditions.  The skiing consists mostly of open
slopes, 500 acres worth, with some trees and trails.  The longest runs are in
an area called the North Face (or backside).  Obligatory Vermont reference:
One of the runs is named Stowe Slope.  In terms of the terrain, the top is
rather flat, then there is a headwall of sorts, another flat, then another
pitch.  Nothing sick steep, but decent skiing for all abilities.  The lift
arrangement is a motley assortment of fixed grip quads and triples, so the
ride to the top is a bit slower and colder than one expects these days.  The
layout and speed of the lifts do a good job of limiting the number of skiers
on the slopes.

Saturday was cold and breezy, but with bluebird skies and bright sunshine.
The surface was exquisitely groomed firm and fast corduroy that held up to
the crowds remarkably well throughout the day.  I saw very little actual ice,
and the slopes just kept shedding this veneer of light edgable snow.  As
crowds built we did the singles line thing, and never waited more than a few
minutes all day.  This at an area with a reputation for crowds.  We skied in
great conditions up to the point when our legs cried stop.

Sunday morning we were treated to a few inches of fluff on the car, with even
more at the ski area.  They had groomed the night before, so the surface was
fairly light fresh snow on corduroy, and it was dreamy.  The new snow helped
control your speed, and whether staying in the fall line or carving big arcs
the skiing was a blast.  Jeanine was skiing the fresh snow with increasing
confidence, as usual skiing everything I did, but at her own pace.

***Editor's Note***  Most of you may ski more often and better than me, but I
have something (judging from what I read on SkiVT-L) that I wouldn't trade for
anything, namely a wife who not only LOVES to ski but will ski almost anything
I do without fail and without complaint.

As the morning progressed new snow came in waves, until around lunch when it
was just flat out dumping.  Not exactly champagne powder, but light enough to
push around.  We skied ourselves silly, even skiing (occasionally) little
mogul-ettes, and venturing into some widely spaced hardwoods.

The light was flat, the breeze on the chairs stiff, the snow falling, and run
after run of great skiing.  Our plan was to see what the conditions were like
at 12:30, and if it were snowing hard to stay another night and come home on
Monday.  We had told the hotel that if we weren't checked out by 2:00 that we
were staying another night.  Well, it was snowing hard and we were having too
much fun.  By the time we quit there had accumulated another five inches or so, and the snow was tapering off.  We had pretty much skied our legs into
submission.

It snowed on our way back to the hotel, then stopped that evening.  The Weather
Channel showed a large area of freezing precipitation across Southern Ohio, so
we felt good about our decision not to head home.  We fell asleep during the
Super Bowl, but did wake up to see the half time show and most of the second
half.  We now know what happened to those super dorky outfits they used at the
Albertville Olympics opening ceremony...

Monday morning we woke up to even more snow, as earlier that morning it had
started again and deposited another few inches.  It would have been another
stellar day of skiing, but instead we headed home on roads that were mainly
just wet, but with the usual white knuckle situations.  All in all a very
satisfying weekend of skiing, with our snow karma intact.
--