SKIVT-L February 2000, Week 1

Mile Markers and POWDER!

David L Barcomb <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:21:12 -0500

Jerm wrote:

I know, I'm working on it. If anything just to avoid 5 hour drives to
and from hell. I've driven 93-89 so many times I can remember each
individual mile marker.
<<<<<

My wife knows how many miles 89 is in NH and the mile markers for most
exits including the Vermont I89 exits to Burlington. I can be driving
along with no clue where I am and Diane will see a mile marker and then
say "Oh, were between exits 11 and 12".  Her use of mile markers came in
real handy a few years ago when we were over an hour from home (back roads
to 101 to I93 to I89) and heard something fly off of the roof of our car
on I89 in NH between exits 4 and 5. I looked over at Diane and asked her
if she had ever tied her skis up to the ski rack. We pulled over, the
skis were gone and we decide to go to the next exit and turn around
and see what we could find. As we are coming back after looping back an
exit Diane tells me that after she heard the noise she checked the next
mile marker so that now we had an idea of where to start looking. We see
a ski and pull over and I go back and get it. On the way back I find
the other ski, go to the front of the car and use the head lights to
check out they skis and then put them on the ski rack (tied in this
time).  The skis looked fine and the bindings looked OK except for
some wear marks in spots.

Friday at Sugarbush and MRG - Nice powder and cold. Found a nice
fresh tree shot in Jester woods and proceeded to twice hit tree
stumps under the snow dead on with my skis. Some runs are not meant
to be. Those Rossignols skis that I dented an edge last Wednesday
at Killington  got broke in half behind the rear binding in
Partridge woods when I hammered a mogul or a tree, I forget which.
The powder was pretty nice so I probably stopped against a tree,
but not that hard and then snap. I had been flying through the
woods earlier and had to do a hockey stop against 3 trees as
the line closed up. Maybe that weakened the ski some. At least
the binding still worked and I could ski on the ski as long as
I kept my weight forward. I skied down and grabbed my Salomons
with the missing edges.

Saturday - Arrived late and Skied Sugarbush with Diane and Kristin.
Did a few runs off of Castle Rock and then met Kristin and Diane
at Super Bravo. Talked Kristin into skiing Eden and she promptly
catches a ski tip and goes face first into some powder and I have
to go over and grab her and pick her up. She starts saying that
this is the last time she is skiing this trail and that I'm in
trouble for dragging her in here. We ski down a little more and
she catches her ski on a twig and loses a ski. I help her out
again and then near the bottom she loses her ski again on a real
little twig.  We finish the run and meet Diane and take Super
Bravo up again. On the way to Spring Fling we stop and Diane asks
what trail are we going to ski and I say that its Kristin's
turn to chose. Kristin looks at me and says that I can chose again.
I look at her kind of funny and I say "You know what trail  I'm going
to pick." and she just smiles and says "I know.".  After all
of the complaining she had actually  liked the run.  On this
next run through Eden Kristin kept going right and then down,
which happened to be where all of the fresh powder still was.
Kristin liked it when I crashed into some trees and had to remove
a ski to get out, since I had one ski on one side of the tree and
the other ski on the other side of the tree. She then said that
I had to crash at least two more times to catch up to her.
We skied Eden all afternoon, Diane skied the trail that goes around,
claiming she was not going into the woods without a helmet.
When Diane and Kristin took a break I hammered a few runs down the Mall.
Near the end of the day we stopped near Spring fling, the Spring
Fling triple was not running, and noticed how the chair was stopped
in a position just as if you were about to get off of the chair
at the top of the lift. The sun was shining and the view was awesome.
Kristin and I did a run alone and then we met Diane for the last run of
the day and Diane now had a Camera. We stopped at Spring Fling and
Kristin and I hopped into the chair for a picture. Diane then
hopped into the chair, not easily since she is afraid of heights
and she felt like she was going to fall out of the chair and down
the Mountain (fears are not always rational), and then I
hopped into the chair and comforted Diane while Kristin hopped
out to take a picture of the two of us. I hope these picture
come out good.  What a great day!

Sunday at MRG. I'm flying down Catamount to Lynx to Beaver wondering
if Mark is trying to beat me to the bottom. Later in the woods I
could hear Mark but could not see him. I finally got out of there
and found some nice snow in the process. I was glad I saw you at the
lift or I was going to do another run through those same woods
just to make sure you were not stuck in there.

Monday at Sugarbush and MRG -  The idiots at Sugarbush closed 1/3
of South on a Powder day. Everything from the Mall over, including
the Mall!, were closed for some idiotic grooming excuse. I was so
mad that I skied the Mall for my last run at Sugarbush before
heading to MRG. It was nice of them to reserve the powder, but there
is no excuse for closing the Mall  and no excuse for closing all
of the other trails. Just groom it that night!  If I had brought
Kristin with me I would have wanted to take her into Eden.
Sugarbush sure knows how to impress its Customers on a Powder day!
Because of wind problems and idiotic Management you never know
what lifts will be running and what trails will be open at Sugarbush.

Idiotic Sugarbush Management aside, the skiing was incredible. I
had 2nd tracks down Rumble and first tracks through an awesome woods
run that requires a nasty traverse that had me wondering if my
memory was working. After the 5 foot drop I had to take just on
the traverse I was really hoping that I was going to a good place.
Finally a complete wide open untracked woods run for me to ski.
Take helmet off and cool off and then enjoy the run. Got fresh
powder off of Paradise woods and Jester woods and then Egan
woods before the Mall and then MRG. Took left ski boot off
to use for clutch and headed to MRG. I hit the single and then
started making fresh tracks in the woods. I may have bent the 3pm
woods rule a little bit, but the powder just kept calling me.

Now I have to work for a few days. My boots and three pairs of
skis are at Buchika's ski shop getting mounted up for this weekend.
Will I dare ski on them? Actually, I'll probably wait until I
have to worry about ice before I try them out.

    Dave Barcomb