SKIVT-L February 2000, Week 1

SELKIRKS - DAY 0 "LEARNING to FLY"

"Mark P. Renson" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Feb 2000 21:43:06 -0500

        Here is the "build-up" to my trip to the snowy Selkirks.  Note that OTH
Mike Taub was there before me and he has yet to provide a report.  Anyway,
this trip was an enormous challenge to me in many ways.  The training,
preparation and practice was an odyssey in itself.  After this "Day 0"
report, we will move on to Day 1 "Flight Test" where I had a ho-hum Selkirk
day of thigh deep untracked.  Day 2 was a waist deep day and after that,
things got MUCH better.
        Those Selkirks MEGA-RULE;  read on ........

        Last year was a struggle ?.. but I found out what I really wanted.  I had
to hustle to keep up with those "Boulder Triathletes" that were there ?..
but the chest deep powder, BIG mountains and camaraderie captured my heart.
 What I needed to do was to rise even higher to the task.
        So, it was squats - 3 sets of 8 reps up to 185 pounds;  long hikes in New
England with a 35 pound pack; interval training on the stairmaster that got
my heartbeat-per-minute up to as high as 176 (short period of time, of
course) and much advice from First Tracks! Field Reporters Dana, Denis and
Hugh during the off-season.  That type of training is tough and thankless
with no powder for a reward, only a pile of sweaty laundry.
        At the start of the '99-'00 ski season, instead of maintaining my
workouts, I increased them - 6AM swims and earning turns for practice were
added to my regimen all with the mantra of "Boulder Triathlete capability"
in the back of my mind.
        For this trip, Mike was going to join me and we were to go in January.
 January is the time for the light fluff and Carolyn in the office had
hinted to me that January was her favourite time to go.
        As the countdown to the trip dwindled, I became anxious about my
capabilities.  My anxiety was heightened when Mike revealed that he could
not accompany me and opted to go 2 weeks prior to my experience, thus
leaving me on this journey by myself.  I was disappointed and felt lonely
about this project.
        My spirits were lifted a bit when I contacted Mike after his trip.  I was
thrilled and happy for him to see that his own experience was positive and
eye-opening for him.  He did report that the avalanche danger was unusually
high, though.  My appetite for Selkirk adventure was whetted.
        On a Wednesday morning, I drove to Dorval Airport in Montreal.
 Fortunately, I knew what "pont" (bridge), "nord" (north) and "oest" (west)
meant and I was able to catch my direct flight to Calgary with no problems.
 This year, I was able to avoid a connecting flight fiasco which I had
experienced the prior year.  This calamity had left me extremely exhausted
and frazzled from the flight and I suspect had an impact on my energy
levels when I arrived at the Durrand Shelter.  This year's flight was as
easy as that other was difficult.
        Landing in Calgary, I was happy to experience chilly temperatures and see
snow.  This was in contrast to the warm snowless winter experienced back in
Boston.  I was able to get a shuttle ride to Lake Louise where I was to
acclimitize for 2 days.  At over 5,500 feet in elevation,  Lake Louise is
the highest place that I could find to stay.  Upon arrival, I started to
hydrate.  I actually filled up a "Camelback" with water and left it by my
bed, slurping on it during the night to ensure generous hydration for the
demanding week I was about to have.
        After a fine day of skiing at the Lake Louise ski area and another wild 'n
crazy night of hydrating on water, I hopped on a Greyhound bus bound for
Revelstoke.  The funny thing about taking the bus is that it's a luxury!
 The seats are soft, there's more leg room than you get on a plane, you can
see the countryside and the driver stops every now and then so that one can
stretch.  Scenery was spectacular along the Trans-Canada Highway, but in
Golden we were given the ominous word that climbing the rugged Rogers Pass
"might take 5 minutes or 5 hours" depending on the avalanches.
        Running the Rogers Pass gauntlet went without incident and the snowpack
was noticeably deeper on the western side.  Snow was falling in Revelstoke
and it was here that I met John from Colorado.  John was to be my roomate
in the mountains and he had extensive experience in the backcountry
including many descents in Rogers Pass and the rest of the Selkirks.  In
addition to skiing, he had made 3 climbing ascents of Mt McKinley -
including a 2nd ascent of the wild and remote Northwest Buttress - and had
been on the American Alpine Club Board of Directors.  John called Syd (the
Wintergreen Inn owner) to pick us up for our night's stay, thus completing
our journey.
        At the Wintergreen, I napped and slurped water just as I had in Lake
Louise.  I felt good about this when I ran into John later on and he said
he was doing the same thing.  More relaxing followed ? I strolled down the
street for dinner ? slurped more water.
        Syd was not relaxing, however.  He tries to make sure that everyone in his
neat B&B is organized and ready to go when Selkirk Mountain Experience
comes by at 6:00AM the next morning to transport us to the Durrand Shelter.
 But several were to be late, including Dino and Rob who were driving from
Portland, Oregon AFTER work and anticipated a 2:30AM arrival which caused
Syd a lot of heartburn.
        There were two "on-time" arrivals, though - Sebastian and Pierre from the
Gaspe' Peninsula of Quebec.  Through their broken English, I was able to
determine that they had guided at their home in the Chic Chocs.  This was
not Pierre's first trip to British Columbia, either.  He had roamed in the
mountains, playing guitar and picking fruit roughly twenty years ago.
        As I fell asleep for the night, I could hear more arrivals enter
downstairs.  The next morning, I was surprised to see that everyone was
indeed present.  Now the question was if I could keep up with these folks.
 Certainly, I could keep up with chunky Paul from Vancouver;  or petite
Catherine from Ireland by way of Oregon;  and what about this Vermonter
living in San Francisco named Brad who had never backcountry skied and was
to rent gear?  Nonetheless, I was still anxious about my physical
abilities.
        After breakfast, we loaded into the vans and headed to the helipad north
of town on the banks of the Columbia River.  In our van was Chris, a
photographer, and Mike, a writer.  Both were on assignment from National
Geographic which rated this trip as one of the top 25 adventure vacations
in the World.  Mike rubbed me wrong with his endless chatter and I wished I
was not on my own on this trip.
        At the helipad, we met the guests unloading from the prior week as we
loaded for the trip up to the Durrand Chalet at 6,360 feet.  I got the last
ride on the chopper, riding with food and supplies.  The flight into the
snowy weather was spectacular with the grand evergreen forest below me,
vicious slide paths on the slopes to the side of me and daunting serrated
peaks soaring above me.
        When we landed, I was hustled from the snowy landing zone to the chalet
by, unknown to me, Reudi.  Opening the door and entering into the warmth of
the hut, I was overwhelmed by the smell of herbal tea brewing inside.
 Several senses were affected and instantly reminded me of the prior year.
 Just like the title of Dave Roberts' classic book, I had a "Moment of
Doubt" ??