LISTSERV Archives

DIVNET Home

DIVNET  March 2000

DIVNET March 2000

ACTION ALERT RE: THE CIVIL UNION BILL

Dorothea Brauer <[log in to unmask]>

Diversity Ambassador <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Mar 2000 20:13:24 -0500

>From: "Susan Murray" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Susan Murray" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ACTION ALERT RE: THE CIVIL UNION BILL
>
>       ACTION ALERT!!! March 9, 2000
>
>Dear Supporter of Civil Rights for Gay and Lesbian Vermonters:
>
>YOU CAN MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE WITH ONE PHONE CALL RIGHT AWAY!!
>
>The Vermont House of Representatives plans to vote on H.847, An Act
Relating to Civil Unions, next week* possibly as early as Tuesday, March
14.  This bill will give gay couples the same protections and
responsibilities that married couples currently have under Vermont law.
Although the bill falls short of our goal of full inclusion in the marriage
statutes, the compromise bill would be an important step toward equal
rights for gay and lesbian citizens.  For that reason, we support the bill
WITHOUT AMENDMENTS!

>We are writing you because your legislator may be persuaded to vote for
the bill, but at this point is not firmly committed to voting for H. 847
without amendments.  PLEASE, DON'T DELAY.  CONTACT YOUR REPRESENTATIVE
RIGHT AWAY to urge him/her to vote for H.847 as drafted by the House
Judiciary Committee.  The names and addresses of the undecided
representatives is listed at the end of this email.

> IT WILL BE A CLOSE VOTE in the House of Representatives, so it is vital
that you and any other constituents you know who support civil rights for
gay and lesbian citizens contact your legislators right away.  Please, find
your representative (we have listed the towns each represents) and make the
call right away.  PLEASE, PLEASE, CALL BEFORE THE END OF THIS WEEKEND!!
Also, if you live in a town with more than one representative, such as
Colchester or Burlington, please call all of the representatives listed
from your town!!

>Your personal story is always the best.  If you need guidance, here are
some points to make:

>(1)    Gay and lesbian Vermonters live throughout this State, working hard
at their jobs, participating in the community, and caring for their
families.  They are your neighbors, and they deserve to be treated fairly
under the laws.

>(2)    Under present law same-sex partners cannot get important legal
protections such as automatic inheritance rights, participation in medical
decision making if the other is incapacitated, the right to bury each
others' bodily remains, the ability to own property in a way that is secure
from each others' creditors, the right to take unpaid leave from work to
take care of one another in the event of serious illness, and access to
legal protections and ongoing support if they break up.  This is true no
matter how long they have been together, and no matter how committed they
are to one another.

>(3)    It makes no sense to expand the scope of the bill to include brothers
and sisters in the same category as committed life partners of the
same-sex.  Blood relatives already have many of the legal protections that
flow from being legally-recognized family, and other protections and
responsibilities* such as the requirement that they obtain a license to
join together and go to the divorce court if they break apart* simply make
no sense when applied to blood relatives.

>(4)    The bill expressly acknowledges that Vermont's marriage statutes are
for one man and one woman.  Extra amendments repeating that fact are
mean-spirited and unnecessary.

>Here is the list of undecided Representatives; thanks for calling!! (And
feel free to email me with the results of the call

>BILL ASWAD             Burlington      862-2067
>SUSAN WHEELER          Burlington      864-6776
>
>MICHAEL FLAHERTY       South Burlington        864-5251
>FRANK MAZUR            South Burlington        658-3975, 658-3975 fax
>
>KEN ATKINS             Winooski                655-1280
>
>RENE BLANCHARD         Essex           878-4310; 257-5487 fax
>MARY ANN PARIZO        Essex (including Essex Jct.)    878-3859
>
>HANK SCHAEFER          Colchester      658-4776, 658-3731 fax
>MALCOLM SEVERANCE      Colchester      878-2067
>
>DORAN METZGER          Milton          893-6059
>MARILYN RIVERO         Milton          893-4643
>
>STEPHANIE BOURDEAU     Hyde Park, Wolcott      888-4344
>
>DICK MARRON            Stowe, Morristown253-9011(h), 253-595(w)
>
>JIM COLVIN             Bennington      442-3157
>MARY MORRISSEY         Bennington      442-2092
>
>LARRY MOLLOY           Arlington, Sandgate, 375-2300, 375-6474 w
>
>WALT FREED     Dorset, Peru, Winhall, Danby    362-75(h),446-3466(w)
>
>DAVID ROGERS   Castleton, Fair Haven, West Haven       468-0083 (h),
273-3000 (w)

>TOM COSTELLO           Brattleboro     254-4340 (h), 257-5533(w),
>                                               257-4289 (fax)
>
>JOHN FOLLETT           Springfield     885-5312, 885-5305 fax
>
>BILL FYFE              Newport                  334-2172
>
>BRUCE HYDE     Fayston, Granville, Waitsfield, Warren  496-2322(w), 496-7012(h)
>
>KATHY KEENAN   St. Albans (City and Town)              524-5013(h), 524-1037(w)
>
>BOB KINSEY     Craftsbury, Barton, Glover, Albany, Sheffield, Westmore,
Wheelock        755-6134