SKIVT-L March 2000, Week 3

Re: sled runnin'

Skip King <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 20 Mar 2000 13:47:30 -0500

On 20 Mar 00, at 12:54, McCusker, Brad wrote:

> At some point I decided when tail roping I'm going to err on the side of too
> much tension.  Just a bit too much mind you, but, tension just the same.
> The tail roper really needs to be the most comfortable, after all, if
> something
> goes wrong, he owns the problem, not the driver who's rolling down the hill.

Given the druthers, too much IS better than not enough -- but the
key is to communicate back and forth and give the driver what
he/she wants.  I found I almost NEVER wanted tension, except in
a few belay-type situations; the tail on the steeps was there
primarily for backup (and prevening washouts on the occasional
traverse).

> >>Penny's efforts made me look stoopid, especially
> >> since she sez she's only 5'2" (I think she's stretching the truth) and
> I'm
> >> 6 foot 210 pounds and she did not struggle anywhere near like I did.  I
>
> Isn't that amazing?  We've got some petite folks on our patrol.  Same thing,
> they almost make it look effortless.

Done properly, it's surprising how little strength it actually requires.
God knows I could never lift my own weight in beer.

> >This is much easier to do, by the way, if you run outside the
> >handles.  Does MRG allow you to do so?
>
> Bingo.  I'm always outside the handles, but, I've always thought of outside
> the handles as being the "brawn" position and inside as being the finesse.
> The better technical skiers, those that really know and use their edges,
> tip, tail, and mid (not me by the way), tend to work in the handles, and
> those that use the upper body are out of em.

Try switching around your thinking on this, Brad -- the inside takes
MUCH more strength, especially for someone as big as you.

Consider the dynamics of the run.  If, as we agree, the sled
remains in the trough, you're bound to become tip/tail hung at
various points.  More importantly, from a body dynamics point of
view, when you're inside you've only got the ability to move relative
to the handles for about four to six inches laterally (width of
handles relative to your thighs and butt) and three or four feet
longitudinally (crossbar to handle tips).

Outside, you've the full length to work with -- handle tips to nose of
sled -- and your lateral reach -- your ability to push or draw -- is
limited only by the length of your arms, which sound rather large in
your case, nuthin' personal. ;->  Upshot is your body's ability to
move around inside the handles is a small fraction of what it can do
outside.

Being outside allows you to take FULL advantage of the tools -- the
sled, with its skeg and chain, plus the handles -- and the terrain.
Outside IS more work unless you do it dynamically -- You're up,
you're down, you're in, you're out -- and your position relative to
handles is constantly changing.  All this means that you can give a
smoother ride, and you sweat a lot less.  For which others in the
top shack will thank you.

> But what I'm most curious about is how many other areas let you work
> out of the handles?  I've been told that in the Senior S&T test, if
> you are out of the handles and/or you work with the chain up, you'll
> fail.  I'm out of the handles, with the chain up all the time (in bumps).
> Which is why I haven't bothered to take the Senior S&T test yet.
> I figured that Okemo was alone in letting us be out of the handles?
> Other areas?

Nope.  People run outside all over the place.  I learned at the K and
imported the technique to the River; Sugarloaf uses it, as does the
Bush and others I know of.  Some mountains say yea, others say
nay. Have no idea what NSP sez.

FWIW, I generally left chain DOWN.  I was more likely to lift a little
to gain speed -- because quite frankly, in many situations, the
chain ain't gonna do squat by pressing down - may even get you
into trouble.  That's another conversation.

> Racing sleds through the bumps sounds like fun.  What's the format?
> Team requirements?  How can I find out about this before it happens
> next year.  I know a few years back we were talking about sending
> a team somewhere, but I can't recall the specifics.  Haven't heard
> anything since.

Okay:
1) Format
2) Team requirements
3) How to find out

1) Format:  The race is held on White Heat.  Total course length is
approximately 3,000' and total course vertical is approximately
1100.'  One member of the team starts at the top with an unloaded
sled and proceeds through the course approximately 1,000' to a
stop box, where his/her teammates await.

Unloaded runner strips off skis or board and dives into sled.
Teammates take up positions in handles and tail rope and proceed
over approximately 1,000' or so to a second stop box, wherein
driver and tail secure sled and switch positions.  They proceed
through the course to the finish.  The course is set each year to
present a challenging, fun run that incorporates all sorts of
elements a patroller might be called upon to handle -- traverses,
holes, squeezes, steeps, dropoffs, washboards etc.

Each leg of the course has two or more judges, who rate each
team on smoothness, style and ride.  DQs for throwing the
passenger or dropping handle or tail -- the idea is to give a ride
suitable for a REALLY sick patient -- fast and smooth.  There is a
time bonus added at the bottom (we used to weight speed equally
with style, but folks were getting kinda stupid about it).  Highest
overall score wins the coveted White Heat Toboggan Challenge
trophy, which is a lovely oak plaque with a brass plate inscribed:

"White Heat Toboggan Challenge
If you ain't lead dog, the scenery never changes."

There is a photograph permanently mounted to the plaque which
graphically illustrates the event's slogan.  Also attached are wee
brass plates showing who won each year since the start of the
event.

2)  Team requirements:  Three, minimum.  Plus girlfriends,
boyfriends and support crew.  Must bring your own sled.  Teams
that do best usually have a small, light, agile and very talented
skier run the unloaded section and a couple of very smooth loaded
runners.  FWIW, Sugarloaf has domininated the event, and has
won it eight or nine times out of the dozen years the race has been
held.

3)  How to find out:  Start whining to your PD already about the fact
that you didn't know about it, because SR's patrol sends out invites
each year to all mountains in the Northeast and does followup calls
to the PDs.  This is an internal communication issue (yours) -- and
Sunday River actively WANTS more patrollers and teams to show
up for this.  If you've got any questions, email Sunday River's patrol
director, Tim Bruce to get on a list ([log in to unmask]).

skip