UVMFLOWNET Archives

April 2000

UVMFLOWNET@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Shelly Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UVM Flownet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 22:15:27 EDT
Hi all,
I know this subject goes round and round but we are looking at a cutoff time
for performing venous duplex. The options for the ER :
1) to medicate with low dose heparin and send them home, return the next AM
for the scan
2) to HOP the patient for 23 hours
3) or just send home and return for scan in AM
These suggestions are from our Medical Director, a vascular surgeon, and he
feels these are fine options. Is anyone doing this? He is somewhat of a
trailblazer but it worries me if this is the right thing for the patient. If
you have a cutoff time what is it?
Shelly Burns LPN, RVT
Summa Health System
Akron, Ohio