SKIVT-L April 2000, Week 1

Burke Mt., VT 18MAR00 (6 Images)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 Apr 2000 17:16:42 -0400

Burke Mt., VT 18MAR00

        On Saturday, my friend E and I went to Burke Mountain for the
first time ever.  E had to visit St. Johnsbury to check out the
Fairbanks Museum for a school trip, so Burke was a logical choice.  They
had reported 4+ inches of new snow from Thursday nights storm, and we
were hoping that there was still powder remaining.  We arrived at around
8:00 A.M., and since they didn't open until 9:00 A.M., we had plenty of
time to get acquainted with the layout.  The base of the mountain
consists of a beginner area with a small double chair and a J-bar.  The
small double can connect you up to the main mountain, which starts at an
area called Mid-Burke.  The main mountain is entirely served by one
regular speed quad chair lift, although there is also a platter lift
that services a good chunk (75%) of this vertical alongside the quad.
        It was a beautiful sunny day, however the temperatures started
out in the single digits so it was nice to stay in the sunshine to keep
warm.  The cold temperatures had kept the new snow nice and light.  It
remained fluffy powder in about the 6-7% H2O range.  The new snow had
allowed them to open just about every trail and they were back to 97%
operation.  We started at the main base area and took a quick run on the
J-bar (actually this lift is more like an L-bar in shape) since the
double wasn't yet running.  We got great views of Mt. Pisgah to the
north.  The surface was a nice packed powder, a little on the firm side,
but not bad.  After that run, the double had started and we connected up
to the main mountain.
        We headed to the summit and got great vies of Jay Peak, as well
a Mt. Mansfield.  We also got more views of Mt. Pisgah and Lake
Willoughby to the north.  Take a look at the images section for this
report if you have never seen Mt. Pisgah.  It's got a very steep face on
one side that drops right down to the Lake (a land-locked fjord).  We
hiked it a couple of years ago in the fall and it is a nice short hike
with great views because of the dramatic cliffs.
I had heard many people talk about the trail East Bowl before, and it
was also the pick of the day on the notice board, so we hit it for our
first run.  Once off the top of the lift, you have to traverse a bit and
go up a couple of short inclines to get to East Bowl.  It was a great
trail, one of your classic New England twisty turny things with
surprises around each corner.  The edges of the trail had not been
touched, so we sampled the powder and found it very light and fluffy.
There were about 4-6 inches of new snow over a firm base on the sides
and in the trees.  We jumped into the trees a couple of times, and found
a few short untracked lines.  Near the bottom of the trail, a traverse
takes you back to the main mountain.  On this traverse, we looked up and
saw two beautiful gladed areas, each had tons of fresh snow and only
about 4 tracks.  I couldn't believe that they had remained untracked two
days after a storm.  Perhaps they had been closed yesterday?
        We next followed a black trail named Wilderness from the summit
in an effort to locate the glades.  As near as I can tell from the trail
map, the glades don't really have names, the map just sort of shows
where they are.  We found Wilderness, which was a black trail with
bumps.  The new snow was nice, although the trail was a bit firm
underneath the powder (as bumps often get).  Below this, we hit the
first glade.  It offered up great snow, a similar 4-6 inches of nice
light snow that we had experienced off the sides of East Bowl.  We were
amazed that nobody was skiing it, but most people didn't really seem
interested in the glades for some reason.  There were very few people
anyway, which seems to be quite common from comments that I heard.  On
our nest run, we hit the next glade over with similar results.  This was
our favorite run of the day.  It dropped into the woods from a location
called Pavilion (a small building was present there) into a moderately
steep streambed between 15-20 foot ledges.  I instinctively checked out
the potential for skiing the ledges.  They looked like a lot of fun with
more snow, but not today.  We followed the gully down and it quickly
opened up into a wider gladed area similar to our previous run.  The
snow was even a bit better in here, whether due to wind or sun
protection I'm not sure.  Again, the only new tracks were our own, and
that was the way it would be for as long as we stayed.
        We had to get heading to the museum soon, so we finished off
with a run on the other end of the mountain known as Willoughby.  The
snow was firmer over at Willoughby, possible due to the fact that it
faced north or northwest and got a bit wind scoured.   We dropped into
another glade here, but its coverage was not as good as the others.  We
hit lots of roots and sticks.  Many mountains probably wouldn't have
even opened that trail under those conditions, although I'm not actually
sure if Burke opens or closes their glades since they have no names.  It
seems like they may consider them woods, which they state are not opened
or closed.  We headed back to the car with a nice cruiser run through
the beginner area to the base.  The price for a full day was $42, but
$37 if you had a VT or NH license, so it was a good deal.  We hope to
return again when we are in the area.  We were there on a Saturday, and
crowds were very light; no lines to speak of, and often nobody else on
the trails with us.  It's possible that it's getting later in the season
and people aren't heading to the mountain, or is Burke just like that
all the time?

Images associated with this report can be viewed at:
http://www.uvm.edu/~jsilveir/18MAR00.html

A collection of reports and images for the season thus far, as well as
some of the faces that go with the names can be viewed at:
http://www.uvm.edu/~jsilveir/ski.html

J.Spin