SKIVT-L April 2000, Week 1

Re: Skip & Leigh

Dave Higgins <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 3 Apr 2000 16:16:01 -0400

PattiMac wrote:

> Warning - might be boring!!! Probably is.  And it's long.  Not to be taken
> personally - please!   :-)

Ditto here.

Patti goes on:

>  I work the ski shows every year.  Have been doing at least the Albany
> show
> for 15 years.   I work from opening on Friday night till closing on
> Sunday.
> Want to know what the most often question is (year after year after year)?
> "What's new this year?"  If you haven't put in a new lift or built
> something new, the customers give you a hard time about not doing
> anything.

<snip>

I've spent the last couple of years at the Albany ski show in the MRG booth,
right next to the Stowe booth & Patti.  We often heard the same question
("What's new at MRG?"), but with a twist.  Usually, the questioner asked it
with a sort of conspiratorial grin and a laugh.  Among those familiar with
Mad River, it would have been considered a travesty to say we'd added a
McBFL or widened a trail.  When we talked about the new double, we made a
point of the fact that it didn't change the lift capacity a bit.  A lot of
people really seem to like the fact that Mad River hasn't changed.

Sure, you say - that's Mad River.  But it raises an interesting question.
Do people ask about new lifts because they really want them (and understand
the implications of getting them) or because most major ski areas have
established McBFLs as the standard of their skiing experience?  For those
who don't ski much and don't know much about ski areas, the number of McBFLs
an area has may be (mistakenly) taken as a guage of how much better one ski
area is than another.  After all, that's what's mentioned in all the PR
stuff.  It reminds me of the trail count farce, exemplified by Whiteface Mt.
In one year, using the same artist's rendering of the trail map, they
doubled their trail count.  They claimed they had to do this, because people
were deciding where to go solely on the number of trails different areas
claimed.  So now they have runs like "Valve House Rd" - which really is a
totally flat work road between two trails.

I've followed this whole "skiing as theme park" thread for a while.  (Well,
mostly I read a bunch of digests this morning.)  Here are a couple more
thoughts on what's been said:

Skip opined, as others have before, that the people on this list are not the
typical ski area customers.  There has also been talk about catering to
intermediate skiers, that experts are a small fraction of the skiing
population, etc.  This is used to justify the big lifts and the mega
groomers and the general borification of skiing at some ski areas.  This
reminds me (oddly enough) of a book by Brock Yates called "The Decline And
Fall Of The American Auto Industry."  As Yates saw it, a key factor in that
decline was that American auto execs first thought the surge in import sales
was due to cheapskates looking for cheap cars.  Hence, we got the Ford Pinto
and Chevy Vega.  However, Yates pointed out imports first caught on with the
social trend setters - the wealthy (Mercedes, BMW, etc.) and young college
students (Toyota, Honda, etc.).  These are the people that tend to set the
trends of what's In and what's Out in the cultural scene.  And they weren't
looking for what was cheap - they were looking for a level of quality and
style Ford & Chevy didn't offer.  This misread of its customers nearly led
to the downfall of the American auto industry.

So who are the trend setters in the ski industry?  Who on the hill do people
want to be like?  I suggest it's the expert skier who can carve down a
groomer, blast through the bumps and rip through the trees.  Sure, people
may never reach that ability, or they may not be willing to put in the time
to get the skills, but in their heart of hearts, they'd love to be an
expert.  Catering to what they ARE (terminal intermediate) while ignoring
what they WISH they WERE (expert) is no way to fire up someone's passion for
a sport.

Along this line, I recently saw the 2001 equipment issue of Skiing Trade
News.  The editor's column at the begining of the issue talked about the new
excitement in skiing, which centers around the go-anywhere, ski-anything
potential offered by mid-fat shaped skis.  Quoting various ski company
spokespeople, they talk about how people have gotten bored with bland
groomed runs, and are looking for adventure off-piste.  The new skis help
people handle terrain and conditions they wouldn't have dreamed of skiing 5
years ago.

This wasn't some rant on skivt-l, talking about the ways things were.  This
was the opening statement in the ski industry's main magazine, talking about
where things are heading.

Obviously, this may not necessarily be considered good news for everyone.
For instance, those of us who like skiing the trees may find it getting a
little more crowded in there.  (What's that saying?  Be careful what you
wish for - you may get it!)  But that's ok if it leads to more glade runs.

But the biggest irony seems to be reserved for those resorts that blasted
away so many tree runs and flattened so many mountain contours.  In
misreading what people really want from skiing (a little sense of adventure
and excitement), they may be in danger of McBFLing and grooming themselves
into oblivion.

        Dave "Mid-Fat" Higgins