SKIVT-L April 2000, Week 1

Re: Skip & Leigh

Leigh Daboll <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Apr 2000 00:44:11 -0400

Well, here goes......

Mark threw his two cents in as follows:

"For the past 6 weeks or so, we've been babbling on about the state of the
industry and most of the posts have been presumptuous, wander off course and
are loaded with so many misconceptions, misinterpertations and erroneous
assumptions that they are almost impossible to respond to".

-------------

Mark, I glad to see you are not only continuing that fine tradition, but
have elevated it to an art form..
.----------------

IT'S ABOUT QUALITY, DAMMIT.
Widen, straighten and flatten the trails and bury them under Lo-Quality
snowmaking sludge so that customers can scrape - not ski - down a boring icy
slope.  Then throw on a high speed Octuplet lift and exacerbate the problem
even further with a higher crowd density on that
trail !    If the experience gets miserable enough, it can be then rated and
marketing-hyped as a quadruple black diamond trail !!   .... and with the
new snowmaking and lift, management now has an excuse to increase the
ticket price to a price of $59.

----------

Mark, I may sense a touch of hyberbole at play here. I can  honestly say
that no one has ever forced me to ski at a resort or in conditions I don't
like.  Instead of wasting your time and [superior] intellect continually
imposing your views and skills on the unwashed proletariat frequenting the
"McSki" (read: "IMHO ALL") resorts, it would be far more productive to use
your superior technique at any number of backcountry peaks, some of which
are even sans lifts, grooming and any snowmaking whatsoever!!!!!.   It's a
free country man!

----------
"decreased quality of the primary product line and increased price - funny,
I spent 13 years in the aerospace
industry and if we ever took that approach to quality, we wouldn't be
"slagged", we'd be SHUT DOWN by the F.A.A., DAMMIT".
-----------
I notice you are no longer employed in the aerospace industry Mark.  Is
there some sort of correlative subliminal message here?
----------
"Then these ski areas invest millions in golf courses and other
miscellaneous crap which has little or nothing to do with skiing and do very
little to improve the quality of their primary product line.  HUH
?????????????????"

---------------
Let's see....Diversification- bad, very bad.  [I'm thinking....must have
went to Harvard.]
--------------
"I would applaud the ASC if they announced that they were gonna' make heavy
investments in improving the quality of their snowmaking rather than real
estate - how do you ski on a condo?  Is there powder or packed pow on
interesting terrain on a condo?

-------------
Oh, I get it.  Condos - bad, very bad.  Snowmaking -good.  Wait a minute...
I'm confused now.
----------------
"Who the h_ll gives a sh_t about profit & loss?  Leigh, I
 enjoyed meeting you on Sunday, so I'm gonna' help you.  You just might not
be 100% dialed in to the workings of a free-market economy <g> - after all,
Canada is a little on the left.  Please listen to me, comrade, as I have an
MBA and have spent much time in Systems, Finance and Accounting in mega
capitalist corporations like Fidelity Investments and United Technologies,
hence I can help you see the light <g>.  You see, Comrade Daboll, in a free
market economy, the CONSUMER RULES !!"

------------
I fianlly see the light Mark. I knew I shouldn't have turned down that full
MBA scholarship to Pepperdine (yes- no shit) to attend law school.  Frankly,
I had no idea how the free market economy worked. Funny, here I thought the
whole time that ski rsorts were simply catering to the needs and wants of
the general skiing public all this time.  Now I can see that we should be
saying "F*** the public".

 --------------
"We as skiers are consumers and for the most part, we don't care about the
state of our producer.  What we care about are our friggin products and they
better be delivered to us and it better be what we want and the quality had
better be acceptable or else we all but start taking hostages.  We don't
care if revenues go up by 20%+, we don't care if he/she/it only breaks even
or that the business is run at a loss by some rich pig as a hobby for a tax
write-off.  Heck, Mr Spock can beam some money outta' nowhere to keep the
place going as far as we're concerned.  What we do care about is getting our
demands served and it better be done with quality. Is this new guy at the
ASC gonna' do that?  Does he have a quality ski track record? Got all of
this, comrade?"

-------------
Mark, I enjoyed meeting you too.  Funny, you didn't come off like a pompous
asshole in person.  That's the problem with the internet - it's so easy to
misinterpreted irony as sarcasm, and witty reparte as simply vacuous
ranting.

----------------

Gee, are ski areas becoming too much like theme parks? HUH?????? Let me get
this straight,  ski areas compete with each other ... so what do they do?
They decide to take on even MORE competitors by going against theme
parks and cruise lines in addition to each other.  Then they expect to
increase their returns on investment.

-----------
Yeah, what a bunch of maroons.  Imagine trying to increase market share by
canabalizing other forms of leisure activities instead of other ski resorts
for a change to dig up new customers!!!! HAHAHAHAYuck-Yuck-Yuck!!!!!!  Oh
man, if only I were an MBA.  Iwould have seen the light a long time ago

-------------
"Otten goes out and leverages his firm to the hilt while his revenue stream
is volatile and uncertain.  HUH ?????? Wall Street must be in hysterics over
Otten - it
sure doesn't think he has any credibility as evidenced by the fact that his
stock was initially offered at roughly $18/share and is now in the terrible
twos."

---------------

Right on Mark.  North America is littered with formerly thriving ski resorts
which ASC has since bankrupted and shuttered.  Only idiots try to make big
dreams become reality.

------------
The  Businesses thrive when they provide a quality product that satisfies a
demand .... they experience explosive growth when they do this with a unique
niche product line as opposed to a product that is extensively offered
elsewhere.

-------------
Just like General Motors!!! (12th year as america's largest corporation I
heard today).

---------------

 "I hate to tell some of you this, but the best corn is found in places like
the eastern Sierra Nevada, the North Cascades or the Presidential Range and
it ain't machine made."

-------------

Again, right on Mark!!!!  If those eastern resort-owning bastards would just
leave their own typical 500 inch natural bases alone to pickle all season,
we'd have eastern corn in May at Mount Snow ferchristsakes!!!!!.   And while
the're at it, quit the damn grooming.  Anybody who can't ski roots and rocks
and ice moguls 90% of the time shouldn't be enjoying the sport anyway.

------------
"Some in the industry are figgerin' it out.  MRG's GM, Bob, came to us from
the Evil Empire of McBush and hence, has seen "both" sides.  One thing that
he told us on Saturday night is that the industry is noticing  a trend
where skiers don't care about "fluff" & "glitz"

------------

Mark, help me out here.  Is it possible to notice any other type of  trend
while you're locked down working at MRG every day?

-------------
"I read where Vail - can you believe this, I'm actually gonna' salute VAIL -
opened up an area called "Blue Sky" which is supposed to be very lo-impact,
scenic and simple and was created in what Outside Magazine said is a
response to the growing backlash against the tacky, tasteless commercialized
crap that is being offered in the ski industry.  Then someone on this list -
I forgot who -
dissed this adventure ski/pristine/non-Mc concept by saying that it was
analogous to a McLaren in the auto industry.  HUH???  It ain't a McLaren,
it's QUALITY and it's a trend in the ski industry."

------------------

That was yours truly.  Frankly, it was and is one of my better analogies.
The industry as whole doesn't give a rat's ass (nor frankly should it) about
terrain that only 1% of the skiing population can ski, will ski or will ever
use.  That's what the backcountry is for.

------------------
"What I saud was that  Why do ya' think that MRG is thriving or that other
areas are opening up "adventure"
terrain or that Magic was created with a "non-Mc" orientation?  Even at
Killington, Pres - though he
did create a mess before Les - created the "non-McConcept" Fusion Zones (one
of these is rated as
intermediate) and "Wild Things" which I understand was in response to
Killington surveys which revealed that the customer - he/she/it RULES,
remember - is in effect, overdosing on McSkiing. It's about QUALITY - the
quality of the primary product of snow & terrain
on trails/slopes/glades of all degrees of difficulty and the quality of the
surroundings.  That's what anti-McSki is all about.

-------------
Yep, and that's why there are sooo many successful non-Mcski resorts.
Remember MRG operates a quasi-private club (yes, that's how I view the
co-op) that lets in the general public (of a certain ilk mind you).  We have
those here in Ontario as well.  They are called FOOFs here (Fine Old Ontario
Families).  They are very successful as well.  I have no interest in going
there.  Remember, nothing against MRG, just don't hold it out as an
operating model for the general public, most of whom would not, will not, or
could not ski the terrain that makes the mountian so special.  For example,
take this past weekend at Stowe.  How many others of the paying public were
in the glades (in the best snow) with us.  Practically Zero.  Why?  I guess
you would say they were all McSkiing morons.  My point is,  it's easy to
become forgetful (conceited?) about what makes for the "right" type of
skiing.  Mark, the general skiing public was amply demonstrating what kind
of skiing they wanted to do on April 2nd, and it wasn't Bypass glades.
[Compare to Renson rant, paragraph #14 above]

"DUH. Sorry if this was a bit disorganized and I rambled a bit out of
control, but I had to get it off of my breasts in response to the posts over
the last 6+ weeks".

 No problem Mark.  However, shouldn't it have been "my very ample breasts"?
;-)

Note: Views expressed are my own, my dog's and my whoever else I've
bludgeoned over the head enough.

Chairman Leigh