SKIVT-L April 2000, Week 4

Re: TRAINING

Kor Kiley <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Apr 2000 09:31:56 -0400

I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my query (both here and
back-channel) about the Skier's Edge machine.  I've also enjoyed reading
other comments about maintaining strength for skiing.  I'm afraid I've been
absent from the list for several days so I've just now seen the TRAINING
thread.

I think hiking seems really good for skiing.  I'm quite fond of inline
skating and I'm passionate about windsurfing.  I also used to swim regularly
but developed a sensitivity to chlorine so I'm better off staying out of the
pool.  I like doing things privately so I usually stay away from the gymn.
I work at UVM though so I have free access to a great new fitness center.  I
have some dumbells I use regularly at home where I also do pushups, situps
and stretching.  I think the stretching is very important.

Mostly, I like to stay in shape by doing something that I really enjoy, so I
emphasize sports.

I'm 55 now.  When I was a teenager I was strong as a bull, especially when I
was on the Putney School ski team (x-c, jumping and alpine events!)  But a
few years after high school I suddenly started having muscle problems and
have had a very difficult time maintaining my strength ever since.  No
doctor has ever been able to find anything wrong.  I think it's some sort of
low grade food sensitivity and the symptom is that after eating certain
foods--mainly starches--my muscles feel fatigued and achy.  For example, if
I were to climb stairs after eating bread, it feels like I'd already been
stair climbing for hours!  Anyway, I've lived with it for many years.  I try
to stay away from starch and dairy products.  I try to have regular exercise
but never overdo it (usually unsuccessfully!) and tend toward every other
day workouts.

I think the Skier's Edge does sound like a good device and I will probably
buy one sooner or later.  But right now I'd rather save up for a pair of
super short slaloms for next season!