SCHOOL-IT May 2000

FW: VT E-rate Stories

Philip Hyjek <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 May 2000 14:36:16 -0400

I received the following from CCSSO regarding a year 2 Erate report. It
would be great if some of you could submit info about your schools and the
impact of Erate. I hate to not be represented in this report!! See the end
of this message for the survey form. The address for submissions is:
[log in to unmask] Please include me as a cc on any submissions. Thanks.

Phil
*******************************

Philip,

Art Sheeky at CCSSO suggested I contact you.

I work for the firm that is putting together EdLiNC's E-rate Report for
2000.  Like last year's report ("Connecting Kids and Communities, available
online at http://www.edlinc.org/pubs/eratereport.html), this year's report
is aimed at analyzing the program and providing anecdotes from applicants
about their experiences with the E-rate.

Several weeks ago, we distributed a survey (via e-mail) to all of the Year 2
applicants.  Unfortunately, we have not received any completed responses
from Vermont.  Since we do want to include Vermont in this year's report, I
was hoping you might be able to distribute the survey (included below) to
the schools in your state and point me to any good anecdotes that you are
already aware of.  Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any
questions or concerns.

Thanks in advance,

Aleck Johnson

--------------------------
Aleck Johnson
Policy Analyst
Leslie Harris & Associates
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
voice: 202/478-6184
fax:   202/478-6171

**************Survey included below******************

Dear Colleagues,

The Education and Libraries Network Coalition (EdLiNC), a coalition of more
than two dozen education and library organizations representing education
and library professionals, is conducting a survey evaluating the impact of
the first two years of the E-rate in schools, libraries, and local
communities across the country.  If your school, library, or other
educational programs in your area have benefited from this program over the
last two years, please fill out the survey below.

Your participation in this survey is critical to ensuring the continuation
and successful operation of the E-rate program!  Once EdLiNC has finished
collecting and synthesizing this information it will select and highlight
best practices and success stories.  We anticipate the report will be
released early this summer.  Should your response be selected for inclusion
in the report, we will contact you for additional information and the final
text will be shared with you to verify accuracy before publication.

EdLiNC has been working in support of the E-rate program for more than 4
years.  The coalition has been a strong advocate on behalf of our nation's
children and lifelong learners with Congress, the Administration, the FCC,
and the Schools and Libraries Division (SLD) of the Universal Service
Administrative Company (USAC).  More information about EdLiNC, its members
and activities (as well as last year's E-rate report) is available from our
website at http://www.edlinc.org.

Please e-mail your completed survey to [log in to unmask]

1) General contact info
   Name:
   Title:
   Institution  (school, library, or other):
   Street Address:
   City:
   State:
   Zip:
   Phone:
   Fax:
   E-mail:
   Discount Level:
   Value of discounts
      In year one: $___________
      In year two: $___________

2) Please describe your local community (demographics/ethnic
diversity/income/urban or rural).

3) Please explain how you have been able to provide new services as a result
of the E-rate?

4) For schools: What has the E-rate done to improve how students learn and
teachers teach in your school, school district, or service area?  Please
provide examples of student and teacher activities.

5) For libraries: What has the E-rate done to improve community access and
information services in your service area?  Please provide examples.

6) For states or consortia: What has the E-rate done to improve learning and
access in your state or among your members?  Please provide examples.

7) Have the new programs and activities initiated with E-rate support led to
new partnerships for your schools or libraries with other institutions (such
as higher education institutions, other schools or libraries, or community
institutions)?  If so, please describe.

8) Have you been able to use the savings provided by the E-rate to upgrade
technology, train staff in the use of technology, buy software, add
technology staff, or otherwise improve your technology services and
programs?  If so, please describe.  If not, please explain.

9) If the E-rate has helped attract additional funds (from the government,
business, or foundations) to support technology initiatives in your
institution, community, or state, please describe those initiatives and the
role the E-rate has played.

10) Have parents become more involved in their children's learning due to
programs and activities supported with E-rate discounts?  Has it helped
parents to become more connected with teachers and schools?  Has it
encouraged parents or adults in the community to become more technologically
literate?  If so, please explain.

11) Are you purchasing broadband services (for example, T-1, DSL, or cable)
as a result of the E-rate?  Was your school or library the first to purchase
high speed Internet service in your community, or was it already available
to business and residential customers?  Please explain, including, if
applicable, the type and speed of your connection.

12) Is there anything else you would like to add about how the E-rate has
affected your school/library and/or the broader community beyond the
school/library receiving discounts?

Please e-mail your completed survey to [log in to unmask]