SKIVT-L May 2000, Week 1

Re: global warming - long

Skip King <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 1 May 2000 12:05:29 -0400

On 1 May 00, at 10:38, Scott Mortimer wrote:

> Thanks Andre for the detailed post on global warming.  One problem
> with this issue, and most environmental problems, is the way they're
> covered by the media.  The media always wants a "story", made more
> interesting by provided a pro and a con argument.

And this is in turn exploited by people on all sides of the issue.

Unfortunately for everyone, the studies by enviro groups -- and
many of those sourcing from academia which oft cited as evidence
of global warming are just as suspect as those sponsored by
industry.

While industries may support studies which will hopefully be
favorable to their cause, the groups do the same thing.  And given
that academic studies -- and their authors -- are fully dependent on
funding -- to wit, grants -- there are, unfortunately cases in which
preliminary results -- later debunked -- have been cited as the next
'big" (read:  alarming) environmental finding.  In fact, the publication
of such studies and citation in consumer media is a tool by which
further funding is obtained.  A good reference in this is "Eco-Scam"
by Ronald Bailey, a former Forbes magazine science editor who
now covers environmental issues for Reason magazine.

My point is that NONE of us are pure in this, regardless of one's
views of human impact on the environment.  Much of the warming
in the past century occured in the early part of the century -- a fact
which goes widely unreportedm byt the way -- and the last three
years have seen a measureable increase.  But many reputable
climatologists thoroughly question whether humans have anything
to do with this; many point out that the 500 mb temps now are
cold, and some suspect we may in fact be heading into a period of
cooling.  These people do NOT get the press. And I frankly don't
care how many Nobel laureates are on board; the Nobel process
is, at its core, a political one... and the fact that these individuals
are on board does NOT mean they have thorough knowledge of the
issue (I remember my old radical hippie days, during which a group
I belonged to had a Nobel laureate among its regular participants...
he was a really sweet, really nice guy; everyone loved him, and his
presence was noted at every opportunity.  But he had NOT studied
the issue we were fighting).

And it's worth noting that climate pattern changes have been going
on for a long time -- Greenland, for example, didn't get its name as
a publicity stunt; Icelanders did in fact farm there extensively before
the climate shifted, and I've yet to hear a cogent argument that
humans had anything to do with that change.  The climate can,
and does, change naturally.

And therein lies the rub:  what's natural, and what's human-
impacted?  On this Scott and I agree:  the media likes its stories,
and will typically pony up an A vs. B argument for purposes of
'balance.'  By definition, one must be wrong.  The operant
assumption here, however, is that HUMANS are responsible, which
may in fact not be the case.  The concern that industries have
regarding this is that costly and unnecessary regulation may be
slapped upon them simply because popular perception, steered by
environmental groups, demands it.

We must never forget that those who lead major environmental
groups, such as the Sierra Club, are just as concerned about the
perpetuation of their jobs as the CEOs of polluting industries.
They, too, have a product to sell, and their livelihoods depend on
people buying it.  They are as passionate about their product as is
the person responsible for creating SUV's -- they believe in it
thoroughly.  All this makes them neither good nor evil; it merely
makes them human.

Please note that all of this is coming from an admitted conservative
-- but one who relies upon snowfall for HIS living.  If you think I ain't
watching the whole global warming debate with intense interest,
you're wrong.  And the interesting thing is that the old enviro
mantra 'think globally, act locally' is, in fact, very much part and
parcel of modern ski area operations.  The reason is not
environmental legislation or regulation -- many of which programs,
from my perspective, do less to actually improve the environment
than they do to simply to add burden to the cost of operations.
The real reason these changes have taken place is that they make
good bottom-line sense.

Since I've been in the industry, energy efficiency, construction
techniques and materials, water usage and virtually every other
aspect you could name which have been cited as environmental
hot buttons have been examined and greatly improved.  Why?  The
reason is purely economics.  Build more energy efficient base
lodges, and you spend less heating them (by product:  less
pollution).  Replace compressors with more modern equipment.
Better erosion control, storage reservoirs for snowmaking,
alternative transportation, you name it... these are all things which
are environmentally pro-active and which most groups would list as
among their goals.

But curiously, a number of environmentally proactive things ski
areas have attempted to do have been stopped or delayed at great
expense by -- of all people -- environmental groups exploiting the
very laws they claim to support!  Check out SKI Magazine's Nov.
1999 issue -- page 124 -- too see what one large and well-funded
environmental group did to a small community-oriented ski area out
in Oregon, and tell me their motives were pure.  Sure looks to me
like they were trying to shut 'em down.

skip

Entirely personal opinions above.  Not necessarily those of my
employer.