MEDLIB-L Archives

June 2000, Week 3

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:29:16 -0700
Here is a summary of most of the responses I received about LVIS.
Thank you everyone for your time and comments.

Kemi

"I think you will find it will increase your workload if you have many
items that people want.  When we joined LVIS our workload increased.  I
never did any figures on it, so I cannot tell you exactly how much."

"We joined LVIS last spring, and have experienced a slight rise in
transactions, but as our overall trend has been a decrease, LVIS actually
acted to our benefit.  We are a small staff as well -- only 4.5 FTE, so a
large increase would definitely have been noticeable.  On the other hand, it
may depend heavily on the type of material you have to lend and how
attractive it is to prospective borrowers."

"Hello, we are a 1 and 1/2  staff (plus 5 students) library during the
school year. Our stats are about 150 average copies sent out a month.
LVIS is great, invoicing takes time and money. Switching to OCLC made
the big difference to us. We were with Washington Library Network (WLN )
for years.
We would suggest ; go  LVIS and get ARIEL. The two are quick, fast and
sure."

"If you are a "general" library, it might be to your advantage ... you can
get a lot of non-medical materials at no charge.  If your collection is
small, then you may not have to fill all that many for other libraries.
Everyone in OCLC seems to select libraries alphabetically, so if your
3-letter code is low in the alphabet, you could receive a bunch of
requests."

"I'd say you should expect a mild increase in overall traffic, but quite
tolerable.  Expect particular increased requests from public libraries,
non-medical colleges & universities, etc.  for your "medical stuff"."

"It made a major difference in what was requested from us but we found it
very easy to establish some criteria for supplying when we are just too
busy. I am in a 2.25 person library. We originally used OCLC as borrows
only, and then went to OCLC lenders and then joined LVIS in pretty short
order. In a matter of months we went from net borrows to net lenders - at
the worst our lending borrowing ratio was 7:1. When we get blasted out of
the water - which does not happen every day, but with some regularity, my
assistant rejects using some of these as her criteria -
we are the last in the string, the borrower is one we also borrow from, they
are LVIS members, they are hospitals, they are in our region."

Kemi Quinn
Library Technician
Legacy Emanuel Medical Library
2701 N Gantenbein Ave