SKIVT-L July 2000, Week 2

Re: Gettin' in shape

"Mark P. Renson" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 8 Jul 2000 20:28:49 -0400

        Good to see that these diet/exercise threads keeping popping up and
thriving - it means that we skiers take our sport seriously .......

On Thursday, July 06, 2000 3:50 PM, Matthew T. Reagan [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
wrote:

> * Ketogenic diets, by restricting carb calories, thereby restrict
>   total calories (and the hunger for more, I guess).  I suppose this
>   makes the Atkins diet like the Zone diet, in that weight loss is
>   more a function of calorie-reduction inherent in following a tight
>   eating regimen rather than magical retuning of blood chemistry.

        I've been reading "The Zone" by Dctah Bhee See-ahs (Masshole to English
translation -> Doctor Barry Sears) per encouragment from a trainer.  Yes,
there are some similarities between the The Zone and the Atkins diet - cut
out the starch and sugars ("bad" carbs) and make sure you get your protein.
 I am not knowledgeable about the details of the "Atkins" diet, but the
Zone diet emphasizes a seemingly _balanced_ diet.  The Zone points out that
many modern so-called "healthy" diets recommend a Carbo-Fat-Protein ratio
of 70-15-15 (that's %, which explains why the total comes out to 100) while
Dr. Sears recommends a Carbo-Fat-Protein ratio of 40-30-30 (note the
_balance_).  As for the "40% Carbs" portion of the diet, fruits and
vegetables are emphasized such as good 'ol brocolli, spinach, tomatoes,
apples, blueberries, oranges, etc ('taters don't count as well as a few
others).
        Sears emphasizes an increase in the protein ratio over recommended several
high-carb diets that encourage pasta, bread and 'taters (among other
things) that have become popular in recent years.  A few years ago, a
trainer in CT (Carolyn Phillips, a well-respected body builder who can
crank out 12 reps/3 sets of  750+ on the leg press) used emphasize to me
the importance of _protein_.  She emphasized that if you're gonna' pump
iron/push your body/etc., your body will (obviously) go through serious
stress' 'n strains and that you'll have to increase (within reason) your
protein intake to repair/maintain it (the trainer I presently work with
emphasizes the same).  At about the same time, I became aware of a
situation involving olympic swimmer Anita Nall - her times were suffering
and everyone was perplexed about it until a nutritionist came along to
analyze her diet and discovered that she was getting hardly any protein.
 After this revelation, she was ordered (among other things) to eat a
yummy gargantuan-sized greasy steak (steak = serious protein) twice a week
and whaddya' know, her times improved.  The point is that if your body is
gonna' push the envelope/go through some serious stress, it looks like ya'
absolutely gotta' get your protein.
        Former NFL lineman and professional trainer Marv Marinovich reports
astounding results with The Zone and olympic swimmer Jenny Thompson's
performance increased so dramatically after adopting The Zone that she was
accused of taking steroids;  Dara Torres is "Zoning" to make her olympic
comeback at age 32 and NBA center James Donaldson was in a starting lineup
at age 39 while "zoning". In these cases, there's an increase in the ratio
of protein in the diets relative to other diets or whatever they were doing
before.
        For sure, as Dr. Sears points out, several athletes perform well with high
carbo diets but he claims that they can perform even better if they get
more protein in a balanced diet.

On Wednesday, July 05, 2000 4:06 PM, Matthew T. Reagan
[SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:
> Anyway, I'll be curious to see what http://www.quackwatch.com/ comes
> up with.  The site has just begun to touch on recent diet trends, and
> has a "coming soon" reference to Atkins.  It's still one of the best
> places for reality checks on some of the popular pseudoscientific
> "alternative" treatments being sold out there.

        Intriguing stuff on the site that Matt refers to.  One thing I discovered
on this is the emphasis on a _balanced_ diet ...... real earth shattering
stuff, huh?  Oh, one more thing, Dr. Sears was on the MIT staff - Matt, do
you know anything about him?
        Also, I have printed out Hugh Hermann's post from 2+ months ago:
        http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0004d&L=skivt-l&F=&S=&P=1484
        and tacked it above my desk at work and posted to my home refrigerator
(with a little magnet, ya' know).  Oh my ! , his diet is doomed to fail -
it's unlike the others as it's an unmarketable _balanced_ diet without
anything unusual, no gimmicks & fads, no overnight weight loss, no
sponsorship from an arrogant overpaid athlete or plastic entertainment
icon, it won't sell books or compel the creation of a chain of diet
centers.  In fact, the only thing good about his "lousy"  ;-)  diet plan it
is that it looks like it actually works in the long run.  If you thoroughly
read it, you can see good sources of protein gobbled down throughout the
entire day - raw herring in the morning, chicken/tuna for lunch, lean meat
twice a week, turkey for dinner and veggies 'n fruit throughout the day
(there's even GIN, per the Nick Malcyzk diet plan).  ...... and look what
it does for him - he's 71 y/o and is more active than your typical 21 y/o
and he consistently bags the ultimate Holy Grail -UNTRACKED POWDER, East &
West - more times than most of us.  Also note that he trains - not
overtrains - regularly and maintains a healthy mental attitude towards the
mountains.  He seemingly has much _balance_ throughout his "health plan".
 (Note, I copied Hugh's and also Denis Bogan's health regimens for my
trainier and he is very impressed; I think I might have said this before,
but he has done some work with Doug Flutie in the past, so the trainer is
no slouch when it comes to diet/exercise).
        As for protein, it appears that the most reliable source comes from
animals;  Carolyn explained to me that it is extremely difficult to piece
together the combo of "non-meats" needed to come up with the necessary
amino acid reaction (or something like that - I got overwhelmed from the
explanation; so confused that I won't ever become a vegetarian) to match
what an animal could do for you.  Oh my, those Animal Rights Activist types
are not gonna' like this.  But face it, if ya' wanna' survive, it looks
like ya gotta' eat things like chickens, cows, lambs, fish, lobsters,
oysters, Bambi and humans.  Hunting the last item is highly illegal in most
societies, though I do hear that it tastes like lamb per the Donner
expedition.  Dr. Sears actually even has a great recipe for New England
Seafood Bouillabaisse in his book.  Don't get me wrong, I love animals and
wildlife - especially barbequed or dipped in melted butter !  Hey, if any
list members are a "veg" and have a countering opinion backed up with some
facts, feel free to respond/let us know how ya' do it;  this all makes for
great sharing of information that's critical for all of us (one thing I've
learned in life after severe leg injuries and a grave illness is that your
health is the most important thing you have).
        Yeah, I've been following many of the preachings from Dr. Sears - cut out
starch 'n sugars, eat protein (canned crabmeat & salmon, oysters, turkey,
cottage cheese, etc) and get _5_ servings of fruits 'n veggies every day
(oranges, peaches, plums, etc) and have lost 10 lbs since early May with no
real suffering and am pumping iron, swimming, rock climbing and just went
through a 17.6 mile death march in the Pemi Wilderness (NH) on Tuesday (had
a Sam Adams at the end per the Nick Malczyk diet).
        Hey, I'm no nutritionist or doctor (Hugh Hermann IS a doctor and look at
his diet), but I can read results and I listen to qualified people who have
proven results.  From what I can see ya' gotta' get significant healthy
doses of protein from animals, eat 5 servings of fruits/vegetables per day,
cut out starches & sugars and have a few reebs and gin & tonics.  Any
differing findings & opinions ?

Mar