SKIVT-L September 2000, Week 1

BLUES Are Better wuz: Mansfield better?

"Mark P. Renson" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 1 Sep 2000 21:38:26 -0400

On Friday, September 01, 2000 12:30 AM, CJ Nelson
[SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:
> Boy, did you get THAT right!
>
>  Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it.  I guess Stowe can get away with
> it due to the proximity factor.   Having skied all three (and they all
> suit *me* fine mountain-wise) that as far as mountains go Jay and Smuggs
> are no slouches.  But....there is the matter of the base facilities...
> and in Jay's case.. that remoteness.  Jay would be a jewel otherwise.
>
> Speaking of Jay - their website yaks about the coming of new Tram cars -
> REALLY?  Probably about time IMHO.  My take northern Vermont mountains
> I've skied speaking as a blue square flatlander, of course:

        I got the impression that some new boxes were needed;  I'll miss that feel
at the top when the tram has to "set" before unloading - that lurch at the
top which freaked people out and gave you the sensation that all Hell was
about to break loose and you'd take a screaming ride back to the bottom.
 Of all the trams I've been on (Cannon, JHole and Snowturd), the Jay one
had the most adventurous feel.

> Jay - Awesome mountain with great blue cruisers, somewhat steeper than
> southern VT.  Fun trails and enough variety for me.  Maybe a little
> better mid-mountain lift access would suit me for later in day when I'm
> losing steam - as it is now, it's summit (or almost summit) or bust.
> Jay's got the verts so this is an issue (for me anyway).  Jay has a sort
> of western feel to it - well maybe "western Canada?"

        That Vermonter has a very steep pitch for an intermediate, don't it?
 Geez, I know I pause a bit as I approach the crux.  Many of the
intermediate runs have those twists/turns/hoo-haa's (non-Mc) that make it
more interesting and enjoyable than many expert McTrails.  I rocketed
through the gentle Lower Kitz on that epic April 9 day, making tracks and
enjoying my best Blue runs of the year.  Those turns and tree islands made
it a blast !!
        Hmmm ... a "Western Canada" feel.  I always get that "North Country" feel
at Jay - very sublime and isolated with bone-chilling cold.  It's that
forest too - conifers and white birch ... it really gets into your heart.
 You really feel it on Montrealer - the frostiness of winter in Vermont,
those spruce trees close by AND the twists, features and rolls of the trail
!!

> > Smuggs - Fun mountain with lots of blue square spice.  A natural
feeling
> mountain in the eastern tradition.  The blues there are interesting, but
> maybe not so much vertical. Friendly place, nice feel to it and lack of
> crowds is refreshing.  Everyone seems to be having fun there.

        Ya know, before we all assembled to go bananas with Flight Commander
Duffy, I sneaked in my 2nd best Blue run of the year - spilling out of
Doc's and onto a series of ungroomed/not-so-brutally groomed blues with
fresh snow and single digit temps.  I didn't exactly know where I was and
didn't care 'cuz it was such sweet Blue skiing.

> Stowe -  Big mountain, long long blues, but not much blue variety. Stowe
> always seems so "serious".  It's skiers not so joyful as Smuggs.
> Awesome mountain with just about perfect blue trails and lift set-up
> (hey, the Triple's not THAT bad).  Sometimes too busy for my taste.
> Never quite know what the top of Perry Merrill will dish up -- Infact
> Stowe seems different each time we go there.  You never know....

        Maybe that's just "it" !!  .... what will the Mountain Gods/Goddesses
offer _this_ time ?

> Sugarbush - Big, some long blues, very interesting terrain and lots of
> variety.  Got the feeling it's blue-steep-o-meter was a bit less than
> Jay or Stowe.  People seemed to be having fun there despite less than
> stellar times we were there.  On a powder day I think Sugarbush would be
> fabulous (Stowe will be bumps by 9:30 am - even on the blues!).
>
> Since we've skied Stowe more than the other places, the others seem more
> interesting at this point.  I'd like to spend more time at all of
> others, especially since Jay and Smuggs are more affordable than Stowe
> or S'Bush and certainly not lesser mountains than the glitz spots.  I
> think if it wasn't for the drive distance factor both Jay and Smuggs
> would be alot more "famous".

        As usual, Carol comes up with some of the best posts - she gets "it".  She
blows up the pathetic sto-o-o-o-opid notion that anti-McSki =
anti-Novice/Intermediate.  I, myself, love the Blue trails that she
references and I always rave about how much fun the winding, narrow,
twisting aesthetic novice Polecat is at Wildcat - heck that's much better
skiing than many expert broad, bland, homogenized, straight, featureless
white aircraft carrier deck type trails with the tackiness.

        Meanwhile, a veteran of the Canadian Powder Fields .....
On Friday, September 01, 2000 12:04 PM, Denis Bogan
[SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:
> We've got to get you an introduction to Jay's glades.  That's where the
best snow is.
> Bonaventure glade would be perfect.

        Jay's website actually has a pretty cool trail map - you click onto a
trail and a description pops up.  Bonaventure and Stateside Glades - while
rated expert - are actually pretty mellow and there are even some glades
rated Blue ..... Intermediate glades - coooool !!  So Carol, you now have
some homework to do.
        As a member of the MRG Nation, I get half off on a day pass at Jay and
Smuggs - real sweet deal !!  I mean, $25/day on classic Eastern mountains
with copius snowfall - yeah !!
        Oh well, I'm off to the Canadian Rockies tomorrow to go climbing with
Denis' personal mountain guide.  Climbing is another "hat" of mine ..... or
is it?  It's all about getting out and intimate with genuine things, going
full bore and having a great time - it's all under the same hat, I guess !

Mark