]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

IT-DISCUSS Home

IT-DISCUSS  November 2000

IT-DISCUSS November 2000

CHANGE in date: Departmental Web2000 template rollover now Nov. 27

Meredith Woodward King <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Nov 2000 18:56:01 -0500

Hello, Webmasters:

The UVM Web Team has decided to switch to a two-phase rollout of the Web2000 template:

* Phase 1: UVM's home page and top-tier pages will roll over into the new template on Monday, Nov. 6, as scheduled.

* Phase 2: Departmental pages that use the Web99 template will roll over into the Web2000 template on Monday, Nov. 27, just after the Thanksgiving weekend. This is a change from the previously scheduled Nov. 6.

Our reasons for the change:

* The Web Team has received some 300 messages during this Web2000 test period. We (and there are three of us at the core level -- Deb Goller, Wesley Wright and I) have been working as fast as we can to meet the Nov. 6 deadline. We are reading all of the suggestions, and attempting to address many of them in this 1-1/2-week test period. We are under pressure right now to concentrate on the overall top-tier home pages, so they will be ready for Nov. 6, when UVM enters the height of its admissions recruitment season.

Many of the suggestions to the Web2000.response e-mail address have centered on the fonts used in the Web2000 pages. And while some of those font issues are determined by the user -- and whether they have adjusted the monitor and font settings in their individual computers and in their Netscape or Internet Explorer preferences, and whether they have upgraded to newer versions of their browsers -- we also have been making adjustments to the Web2000 template based on those requests, and based on the most commonly used settings for PCs, Macs and various browsers.

You may find it interesting to note that, although the campus prefers Netscape, the majority of people visiting UVM's Web site use Internet Explorer or other non-Netscape browsers (65-70%). So we need to keep that in mind, too, as we design the pages. This is especially important to remember for our undergraduate admissions recruitment efforts.

* We want to get past this top-tier page rollover on Nov. 6 so that we can fully concentrate on the rollover of the magicscript and template for the individual department pages. We want to ensure that we will be available to answer your questions and assist you as your pages roll over into the Web2000 template.

The rollover will work like magic -- you won't have to do anything. However, those who have overridden or altered key files may have questions.

* There will be new features you can use, and we want to be able to help you with that. For instance, there will be ways to include the Quick Links box feature; extra white space for special graphics/links. And, yes, for those of you don't want to use the entire green bar, there will be a way to do so. So we anticipate questions regarding those new features.

* Because we are rolling over first at the top-tier UVM Web site level, then you'll have even more time to see how the new information architecture works. Perhaps, for instance, there no longer will be a need for you to maintain your own "Burlington & Vermont" page (we've seen quite a few out there, and we realize that departments felt a need to maintain such info because it was missing at the top UVM Web pages) or "UVM Fast Facts." Perhaps you can just link to the overall UVM pages for that information. Or perhaps you want to introduce an "audience" section on your departmental page, as we have done on the UVM home page.

So, thank you for your patience as the Web Team works its way through what has been a major undertaking. And we hope that you'll continue to write us here at UVMWebInfo as we move into a new phase of the Web2000 redesign.

Cheers,

Meredith

Meredith Woodward King
UVM Web Team