LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  November 2000, Week 1

COMMUNET November 2000, Week 1

Winona Online Democracy

Steve Kranz <[log in to unmask]>

Community and Civic Network discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:32:22 -0600

Greetings,

Following is an article about Winona Online Democracy (part of Minnesota
E-Democracy), a community-based email discussion list (online commons) that
has been successfully implemented in the city of Winona, Minnesota (USA).
The article outlines the steps that went into gaining acceptance for the
project in the community.  Randy Schenkat and I (Co-Chairs of this project)
will be attending the National Civic League's "Wired for Democracy"
conference in D.C. this week.

I hope you find this article of interest.

-Steve Kranz, Co-Chair
Winona Online Democracy

(this article is also available online at
http://onlinedemocracy.winona.org/startup.html)

E-Democracy Thrives in Winona Minnesota

Nestled in a scenic river valley aside the meandering Mississippi River and
surrounded by tree-covered blufftops, the idyllic town of Winona Minnesota
(pop.25,000) seems an unlikely place for cutting edge online citizen
involvement. But despite Winona's smaller size, E-Democracy has quickly
taken hold and continues to grow. The techniques used to implement it
demonstrate approaches to starting online civic participation in smaller
communities by making specific efforts to build credibility, network within
existing organizations, and allow the project to become an outgrowth of the
community itself.

Winona Online Democracy is an ongoing, community-wide discussion via email
about issues that affect life in Winona. It began in mid-August of 2000 and
includes a cross-section of community members, members of the media and
local leaders such as elected officials, school board members, and state
representatives.  The goal of Winona Online Democracy is to give everyone a
greater voice in decisions that affect the community, increase civic
participation, and help to encourage more input into solutions to local
problems.

Prior to launching the email discussion, 106 members were recruited to
participate. This included a broad cross-section of the community as well as
a good representation of elected officials, city administrators and
community leaders. Two months after the launch date, the list has 170
members and has generated interesting and valuable discussions.

The impetus for WOD began when a local organization, Winona A Community of
Learners, invited Steve Clift of Minnesota E-Democracy to give a
presentation about online civic discussion and the impact it can have on a
community. The organizers of this event sought endorsement/sponsorship by
local community and government organizations and it attracted about forty
people.

At the speaking event, organizers collected contact information (including
email addresses) from each attendee. They were then invited to a follow-up
meeting to discuss implementation in Winona. Eight people attended and the
agenda dealt with both the technical aspects of how an email list is
operates and the practical aspects of what types of jobs need to be done in
order to get the list up and running. Most attending agreed to participate
on a steering committee to help get things started.

It was decided that an email list would be set up for the steering
committee. This would allow them to exchange ideas and continue to maintain
a dialogue as they planned the project. In addition, it would serve as a
learning vehicle to work out the bugs and make sure the list operated
properly before we recruited others to participate.

One important aspect of starting the project in a small town is that we felt
people would be more comfortable if they perceived it as homegrown. We
thought this would increase credibility and make people more open to
participation. To that end, we decided to call our group Winona Online
Democracy and use the "winona.org" domain name. This "local branding" of our
efforts helped make the project feel more integrated into the community and
not just another dot-com project from the "big-city".

We also decided to develop a website. Our plan was to invite people to
participate and direct them to the website so they could get more detailed
information. E-Democracy can be difficult to explain concisely, so this
allowed people to learn about it at their own pace and then make a decision.

Next we focused attention on recruiting. The core of our effort to recruit
list participants was the use of the "virtual door knocking" method (see
Steve Clift's article at http://www.publicus.net). This involves having
people send personal email invitations to people they know asking them to
join. To make this as easy as possible, we drafted a sample invitation and
encouraged people to modify it to meet their needs (see
http://onlinedemocracy.winona.org/invitation.html). Virtual door knocking is
an important concept because it increases credibility and the likelihood of
a positive response.

One virtual door knocking method that was extremely successful was to work
within organizations to gain access to their membership. We invited local
nonpartisan groups to become "endorsing members" of WOD. This included the
League of Women Voters, the local teachers union, city government and local
universities. This gave us access to about 850 email addresses in the
community. These organizations invited their members to become part of WOD.
They also agreed to allow us to list them on our website as "Endorsing
Organizations.

We made a particular effort to encourage elected officials and other
community leaders to join the list. Having these people involved not only
provides credibility and access to additional resources (such as email
lists), but provides value to other participants in that their ideas and
opinions will be heard by those that make the decisions.

In a small community, it is important to get support from those who are
prominently involved in the community. In order to leverage support that we
received, we asked everyone who joined the list if we could list them as a
"Founding Member". The list of Founding Members was then placed on our
website. People could then see the names of their friends, neighbors and
people they respected and know that they were supporters of Online
Democracy.

In addition to our online recruitment efforts, we decided to reach out in
offline media as well. We developed a paper brochure to be distributed to
clubs and organizations. We also appeared on a local cable-access television
program and invited the local newspapers to cover the "launch" our project.
This resulted in a front-page article in one of the local newspapers.

In the months after the list was launched it has sustained a varied and
interesting discussion. A "snapshot" shows that in the first eight weeks
there were 238 emails posted by 53 different authors covering 12 different
topics. We have had good participation by a broad range of participants
including elected officials and government administrators.  Examples of
topics included the following:

-- A discussion that identified dangerous traffic intersections in the
community  (which was prompted by the Mayor asking for feedback on a
proposal to rebuild city streets).

-- A discussion about improving the "digital divide" situation in our
community. This discussion played a role in our local County government
petitioning the State for authorization to donate its used computer
equipment to local charities.  Our local state legislators also participated
in the discussion and are looking at the issue on the State level.

-- Several thoughtful exchanges about local issues such as shortfalls in
education funding, rebuilding our historic courthouse and plans to increase
railroad traffic through town.

The success and broad participation is due, in part, to approaching Winona
Online Democracy as an outgrowth of the community and building support for
it within existing organizations prior to actually launching it. By working
to have community leaders take some ownership (or at least endorse the
concept) and using these relationships to network within the community,
Winona Online Democracy has gained acceptance and continues to become a
strong force for positive civic engagement.

For more information visit http://onlinedemocracy.winona.org or email Steve
Kranz [log in to unmask] or Randy Schenkat [log in to unmask]

If you're interested in starting an Online Commons in your community, please
visit www.e-democracy.org or email [log in to unmask]