LISTSERV Archives

APPROACHUVM Home

APPROACHUVM  January 2001

APPROACHUVM January 2001

Approach Calculated field problem

Douglas S Varney <[log in to unmask]>

Lotus Approach at UVM <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 18 Jan 2001 13:45:49 -0500

Caution:

If you place a calculated field on a worksheet view in an Approach
application you MAY end up changing it when you don't intend to.  If you
 click on a cell containing the calculated field  in a WORKSHEET view, you
get taken to a formula composition window and anything  you type here will
REPLACE the formula for the calculated field! I expected Approach to make
this cell read-only from browse, as it does with calculated fields on a
FORM.  I went to design and made the column for this calculated field
read-only on the worksheet form but was STILL able to corrupt the formula by
clicking on the cell from Browse.

If you accidently do this, you can recover this calculation by retyping it
from your printed documentation for your application OR if you have NOT yet
saved the APR, you can exit without saving the APR and open the original as
the information for calculated fields is stored in the APR NOT in the DBF's.

Confused about this? I don't blame you.  Write back to the list with
clarifying  questions or contact me directly at 6-1181.

I realize this has not been much of a problem in the past as I have never
been called about it until yesterday but I felt you should be made aware of
this issue. Lotus has been notified and I hope they will issue a patch.

FWIW  I have been testing the very latest version of Lotus Approach (9.6). I
have found some minor problems with it.  I am withholding it from being
distributed until they get resolved.  I doubt you will be buying outside UVM
for $400.00 instead of $10.00 from the Depot, but  I would NOT recommend
upgrading until it gets improved.