]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

FSCP-SIG Home

FSCP-SIG  January 2001

FSCP-SIG January 2001

Fw: Division 15 APA Graduate Reesarch Seminar

Pam Kay <[log in to unmask]>

Family, School, Community Partnerships SIG

Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:56:38 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

Hello, My name is Heather Davis, I am a graduate student at the University
of Georgia, a member of AERA, and the current co-chair of the Division 15
APA graduate student seminar hosted for the past three years at the annual
meeting.  Over the past three years, we have found the seminar succesfull
in mentoring doctoral students through the dissertation process as well as
providing them a forum to network not only with peers who are interested
in similar topics, but also with nationally know researchers.  This year,
we have done quite a bit to promote the seminar including publicizing it
in our Division 15 newlestter and contacting Departments of Educational
Psychology across the nation. However, we are always looking for more ways
to "get the word out" to students who are doing related research but may
not be in department of Educational Psychology.  I was wondering if you
would be willing to post this announcement on your list serve or in a
newsletter.  Any help in recruiting students would be appreciated.

Best wishes,
Heather Davis

APA Division 15 Annual Graduate Student Research Seminar

The Division of Educational Psychology--Division 15--of the American
Psychological Association announces its third annual National Graduate
Student Research Seminar to be held August 24-28, 2001, during the annual
meeting of APA in San Francisco, CA.  Selected doctoral students will
attend conference presentations, participate in social events, and meet
with distinguished researchers.  In addition, students will work with
faculty in small groups to discuss the students' dissertation research and
receive guidance and suggestions.  The purposes of the seminar are to
allow informal exchange of ideas about research, particularly the research
plans of the students, and to demystify the process of becoming a
researcher.  The seminar also encourages inter-university connections
among students and with faculty sharing common interests.

The seminar will be limited to 15 students, no more than three from any
one institution.  Applicants must be enrolled as full-time graduate
students; and approximately midway through their doctoral programs
(Ideally, students will be in approximately the third year of a full-time
program, but having only begun preliminary work, such as drafting a
prospectus, on their doctoral dissertations).

Selections will be made on the basis of the quality of the submitted work
as well as how well the work fits the substantive and methodological
interests of other applicants and the expertise of participating faculty.

The seminar is offered free of charge.  Division 15 will pay for meals and
refreshments during the seminar, and will provide each student participant
with a stipend that covers the cost of conference registration (student
affiliate) plus $200.

APPLICATION MATERIALS:

Applications must include 5 copies of the following:

* A 2-page vita that includes the applicant's name; address;
telephone, fax, and e-mail numbers; education; professional experience;
and presentations or publications--if any.

* A 1000 word statement about your research interests, the
particular research you are undertaking for your doctoral degree, the
current status of that research, and its relevance to your future research
interests.

* A 1-page list of selected references.

* A 1-page letter of intent from the student explaining how she or
he could contribute to and benefit from the seminar.

* A letter of recommendation from the student's advisor describing
the student's qualifications.  This letter should be co-signed by the
Department Chair

QUESTIONS SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO CONFERENCE CO-CHAIRS:
Bradford Woods, 205-348-1354, [log in to unmask], Faculty Representative
Heather Davis, 706-542-4110, [log in to unmask], Graduate Student
Representative

SEND APPLICATIONS TO:

Bradford Woods
306 Carmichael Hall