SKIVT-L January 2001, Week 4

Sugarbush 21JAN01

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:35:33 -0500

    On Sunday, I joined my friends Chris and E for our usual turns at
the 'bush.  No big storms had come by in the past week, but as I looked
at the RSN chart for snowfall:
http://www.rsn.com/cams/1,1051,DETAIL=1224,00.html  I could see that
since the 15th they had received daily amounts of 1 + 4 + 2 + 1 + 0 + 0
+ 2 inches = 10 inches over the past week.  Chris said that on the radio
he heard them claiming nearly a foot of snow over the past week, and he
was skeptical.  I told him the numbers I'd seen on RSN, and said "It's
surprising what a few inches a day can do for the conditions, even if
you don't get a big dump"  As it turns out, one of the days in there
they had received some mixed precip., but the crust it created was mild,
very similar to what we'd seen at Jay Peak about a week earlier.  We
started off with a couple of cruising runs on Snowball and found
beautiful packed powder.  After last weekend's four days worth of
exploits in the glades and woods of the Eastern Townships (Swampfest
II), neither E nor I had much edge to play with on our skis (and for E,
a bit less base than she'd like) but we both found that we could cut
right in and carve.  We finally caught up with Chris for the second run,
and he had his new Pilot 10 skis, first midfats for him and he seems to
be enjoying them.  Temperatures were probably around 10 F, but we
encountered no wind.  We could still feel the nip in our fingers and
toes though, E had a hard time warming up.
    We decided to head over into the sun on North Lynx, and the bumps on
Morning Star were looking great.  We honestly saw only one major rock on
our entire ride up over the trail (natural snow), enough that Chris took
his brand new skis down and had no problem worrying about them.  Either
the snow was plentiful, the traffic was light, or both, because although
the trail was all tracked out and bumped up, the backsides of the moguls
were all styrofoam and no glaze.  The conditions were good enough that
we went back for multiple runs with no need to look elsewhere.  E
reported her best bump skiing ever, I'm wondering if it's a throw over
from four days in a row of pounding the glades at Swampfest.  On one
trip down we had the entire trail to ourselves, which is why I guess
they want to give discounts to us on Sundays instead of Saturdays.  I
jumped into the woods for the second half of each lap, and found settled
powder that gave about 4-6 inches of sink.  E complained that she
thought the powder was a bit too heavy (I think she's getting spoiled).
We hopped onto the Sunshine trail next, which had been groomed for the
first time in a while.  This was a bit firmer than the snow on Snowball,
and my "sort-of" edges were a bit beyond their limit in the steep
section up top.
    We finished off the day exploring some woods off of the Gate House.
We explored some new woods off of Slowpoke and found some great lines.
The base is getting really deep, and for the most part only the big logs
are still visible above the snow.  Chris had his car present, and so did
we, so we had contemplated doing a lap in the Slide Brook area in the
afternoon.  It was already getting a bit late, and suddenly E put a BIG
bend in one of her poles.  This was the type of bend that you don't
recover from, her pole was soon in two pieces.  I thought it would be
fun to try to do a field repair of the pole, so with the help of Chris'
Leatherman Pliers we attempted to remove the kinks from the ends of the
pole, and slide them inside each other.  Well, this metal was just too
hard, and it took everything we had to even get the ends of the pole
back to circular.  One of these poles needed to be pounded small enough
to fit inside the other.

I needed a hammer...

I visited the ski shop at the base area, and the young gentleman
informed me that he was not allowed to loan out tools.  He suggested I
try the tool bench outside, whereupon I found three very nice
screwdrivers, which didn't even make a dent in the metal when I pounded
on the pole.  It was time to get serious with this pole...

I needed a rock...

With every location I looked at covered in snow, it was going to be
quite difficult to find a rock and a hard place to pound this situation
out.  I soon found myself walking around the back of the ski shop, and
noticed a piece of the trellis missing under the building.  These
buildings don't really have foundations, they are raised off the ground
about 3 feet, and have space below which is covered by trellis
material.  Minimal snow had built up underneath the shop, so I crawled
in and looked for a rock.  I found a nice three-pounder that I could jar
loose from the frost, and soon found another frozen specimen to serve as
a hard place.  Next thing I knew, I was pounding one of the pole ends
into a twisted strip of metal while the sounds of "Prodigy" blared right
above me in the back room of the ski shop.  I laughed to myself as I sat
there hunched over in the frozen dirt pounding out a fix.  After about
5-10 minutes, I had completed my task and rejoined Chris and E, who were
curious as hell as to where I had been.  I showed them my handiwork, and
with the aid of my trusty rock, we pounded the pole ends together for a
nice fit.  It was a tight fit, very sturdy, and the pole had only lost
about 1/2 inch of length but it needed a bit more to secure the seal.
Duct tape would have taken care of that problem, but since it was going
to be our last run and Chris' duct tape was in the car, I just stashed
the pole for now and we did our final run - hitting a few of the small
jumps on Sleeper Chutes.  E was curious as to why I was even keeping the
pole, and I was shocked that she would even think of throwing out a
perfectly good basket and handle after my pole reserves had saved her in
preparing for the previous weekend ;)  So in the end, that shaft will
have to be retired, and we didn't REALLY need to do an immediate fix.

Sometimes though, it's just nice to know that you COULD do it if you had
to... maybe I should start packing a hammer in the car (or remember to
carry the reserve poles ;) ).

J.Spin