]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  January 2001, Week 4

SKIVT-L January 2001, Week 4

Eastern Townships 12JAN01 - 15JAN01 (Swampfest II)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:27:13 -0500

I'm sure there will be plenty of reports about this trip so I won't make
mine too (relatively speaking of course) long.  I recorded a bunch of
video over the whole trip and I think I'll let the finished video
production serve as a big chunk of my report.  I'll just describe some
of the general conditions and point out a few highlights that I
experienced in my wanderings.

Actually, as I just re-read through my post, it's longer than I had
anticipated, so much for for not too long...

E and I left Burlington, VT after work on Thursday and headed up to the
Canadian border, crossing at East Richford.  This was the first time I
had crossed at such a small border crossing, and I have to think that
the normal staff for the small customs building is one. We drove up to a
small building, an older gentleman pops on his coat and scarf and visits
the passenger side of the car.  He asked the usual questions, and then
we were on our way.  Almost immediately after crossing the border, we
found ourselves in the middle of nowhere (or so it seemed) with
incredibly dark skies and barely a house every few minutes.  The moon
was just rising, and it did so through bands of clouds that cut it into
amazing glowing pieces.  We even had to stop the car and watch for a
bit.  E tried to get a picture, although with just an automatic 35 mm, I
don't think we'll see much.  When she asked if I thought it would come
out, I told here sure... if she had the right film and took a nice long
exposure with all the other appropriate crazy settings you need for
night.  She replied "This camera won't do that stuff".  "Oh", I grinned,
"We'd better hope for the best then ;)"

11JAN01 The Auberge at Owl's Head - This was our home for the four days
of the trip

After a couple hours of driving, we arrived at the Auberge at Owl's
Head.  The sign on the door said

IF YOU ARRIVE BEFORE 5:00 P.M., PLEASE GO TO THE TICKET COUNTER TO CHECK
IN

It was now near 8:00 P.M., and the sign gave us no indication of what to
do AFTER 5:00 P.M.  We poked around, and eventually found our way into
the lovely dining room.  I asked one of the waitresses where I should
check in, and she brought me to a cash register along the side of the
dining room.  She got my name, and before I knew it we had the key to
room seven as she headed off to one of her tables.  The room was clean
and simple with no TV or phone.  E laughed since she knew there would be
no Weather Channel (or Weather Network as I recall for Canada) for me.

Jay Peak, VT 12JAN01

For our first day, we headed down to Jay Peak.  A brief shot of freezing
rain had passed which gave a paper thin crust to some areas, but it was
nothing that ruined the powder.  The glades were tracked up in many
spots, but we found some great areas.  On our first or second run, Leigh
dropped into Expo Glade and reported untracked up to his knees.  Expo
glade delivered, and I think that was my favorite snow of the day, even
when we went back in the afternoon.  The glades in general were pretty
tracked out and starting to get bumped.  We hammered through most of the
glades all day, and I racked up over 21,000 vertical feet.  That may not
seem like much, but it's almost twice what I do in an average day!

My highlights:  Jane Krupka gets on camera and almost immediately has a
spectacular fall in one of the glades off the new quad (could have been
North glade or maybe Everglade?).  She reassembles, and promptly slams
(hard by the way) into another tree.  I checked to make sure everything
was OK (and fortunately she said it was), but now she is convinced that
the camera has jinxed her.  She did seem to return to her normal
excellent glades skiing style, so I think she broke that jinx. :)

While standing around with E, Jim and Shirley on the traverse back to
the high speed quad, Jim moves slightly toward the edge of the trail,
and the whole thing gives way and drops him into a streambed.  Shirley
was kind enough to help pull him back out, but Jim had to let go of the
pole and Shirley toppled over as well.  If I had known what a fun scene
it was, I would have had the video camera out.

Owl's Head, Que 13JAN01

Since we were staying right on the mountain, this was a real leisurely
day to get moving.  The views of Lake Memphremagog are amazing; E said
that she liked the view better than Heavenly because you were even
closer to the water.  We started off the day with a couple of runs down
the trail on the far skier's right from the summit (Lily's Leap
maybe?).  I thought the snow was quite nice actually, except for a few
sections where the groomers had made some death cookies.  E and I hooked
up with Mapadu and Telenaut for some of the morning and got some great
video as we explored the woods on the skier's left of the mountain.
There was about 6-12 inches of powder over a somewhat rocky base, but it
was enough to get some nice turns.  I loved the way those woods finished
off in a hardwood glade as you traversed back to the lifts.  Eventually
we hooked back up with Leigh and co., and he pulled us around through
all sorts of crazy natural snow trails, glades and woods.  Some areas
had rocks, and the coverage was a bit less than Jay Peak, but just about
everything was skiable.

My highlights:  Leigh had mentioned that he coaxed the local officials
into letting us go off the back side of the mountain and explore the
terrain down to the lake, but as the day went on it seemed as though we
might not fit that exploration into the day.  I think it was Telenaut
(thanks Tele) that finally tipped the scales, and we (myself, Mapadu,
Telenaut, E, and Leigh) went off the deep end so to speak.  The trip was
anything but boring, with cliff bands, tight chutes, logs, streambeds,
an old access road, and of course, powder.  It was an exercise in both
route finding skills and teamwork as those that navigated past one
section of cliffs would help spot routes for the others above.  The
approaching dusk added an element of excitement as well.  After about
1500 vertical feet, we reached the old access road just above the lake.
The hike back to the resort was probably only about 15 minutes, but the
hike AT the resort to get us back to our mid-mountain Auberge tacked on
another 30 min.  We huffed about 500 vertical feet up the trails and
eventually even got a small run down to the lodge.  That was a real
memorable run for me as well, with an unlit trail, stars, faint pink
clouds of the disappearing sunset, and the welcoming glow of our lodging
down below.  I soaked the scene in before my run as Telenaut worked to
get his frozen gloves back on his hands.  Mapadu let out a huge scream
when Jimski radioed to us and said that "the beer was all gone" ;)

Mont Orford, Que 14JAN01

This place is nuts.  We started off the day with a supposed warm-up run,
but within a minute people ducked into a tiny singletrack woods entrance
that led on down to one of the (as far as I recall) infamous triple
diamond trails.  Right near the beginning of this trail is a MANDATORY
15 foot ice slide.  The slide is not vertical, but it is only about 2-3
feet wide, closed in by rock on either side, and glare ice.  I say
mandatory only because the only other way I found to get down (which I
did out of a search for something fun) was to basically climb down a
tree near one of the ledges.  The best bet to run this ice slide was to
straight line it, and check your speed at the bottom.  The area below
the slide was maybe 40' by 20' and soon dropped off into the next gladed
section, so it wasn't the easiest deceleration zone.  I'd have to say
that the stuff at Orford can go head to head with any of the Mad River
Glen in bound terrain, and it my opinion beats it in some cases.  I say
this only because the ice slide we encountered seemed more difficult
that the drop on Paradise at MRG.  To back that up, we encountered
ANOTHER mandatory ice fall at the bottom of one their other trails.
This one had plenty of run out onto a main trail, but just the presence
of such a thing is wacko.  So, if you are looking for something crazy to
do, check out Mont Orford and head for those trails with the three
diamonds.  Overall, the coverage seemed to be less than Jay Peak, some
of the ledges and stumps in the glades made them look like a battlefield
from below.  What a nutty place.

Highlight - for me it would have to be all the lineups of the SkiVTers
at the icefalls.  Watching each person figure out how to do it, and what
worked for them was an amazing show (and will be again since I caught
much of it on video ;)

Mont Sutton, Que 15JAN01

Mont Sutton seemed to have more snow than Mont Orford or Owl's head.
The glades here and many of the woods had been devoured by the weekend
masses, and finding an untracked line on the steep end of the mountain
was really hard.  The gladed trails that they have are very nice, there
are a variety of slopes and different amounts of trees.  We gradually
worked our way to the skier's right where things are steeper, and we
found lots of steep tight trees, but not a lot of untracked.  A bit
before lunch, I joined Mapadu, Leigh and Jerm as they went to hike up to
the peak of Mont Sutton itself in search of fresh tracks.  Starting out
at about 3000', we dropped down about 50-100' into a ravine before
climbing up to the summit at around 3200' or so.  There was tons of snow
up there, and lots of trails that diverged and made it difficult to
figure out direction.  Being only mildly familiar with the layout of the
resort and surrounding mountains didn't help, so we decided to play it
safe and ski down on a course parallel to the trail we had hiked up.
Much of the upper section we skied was singletrack cut through dense
evergreens and I didn't find it to be anything incredible.  We had
relatively settled powder, although this trail would be really sweet
with about two feet of champagne.  I guess the season is going OK here
when you can start to split hairs on what KIND of powder your trails
have ;).  After this tight section, the trail opened up a bit and
dropped steeply.  Coming down behind Jerm, all I could see was what
appeared to be a 50 foot cliff below him.  Mapadu worked his way around
the cliff down a nice chute with the camera and got set up for some
video.  He hauled ass down that chute and out into the open space below
(thankfully in plenty of control to keep the camera safe).  Once I
approached the cliff, I could see that it thankfully wasn't vertical,
but steep at the top and gradually settling into a nice pitch below.  It
could at least hold snow on it (phew ;).  Jerm worked his way to the
left and dropped off the side of the face near a tree with a bit of air
and some speed.  I chose the center of the face which was prime
territory for some jump turns.  The snow was awesome and I must have
brought a ton of it down with me.  That (as well as Leigh barely being
able to take a leak up there due to the snow depth) was a testament to
how much snow they've got up there.  Leigh worked his way around to the
left and took the same route as Mapadu as we gathered together and
looked up at what we'd just encountered.  Below here, we started seeing
tracks of folks from the regular trails, and we worked our way down
along the boundary of the resort.  In the afternoon, we were looking for
something mellower, so E, Jerm, Leigh, Matt and I headed off for the
totally opposite end of the resort.  We stumbled (sort of) onto acres
and acres of untouched powder off the side of the resort that allowed
return via a cat-track back to the base.  Mother nature dropped a quick
inch of snow to soften things up even more, but conditions were already
beautifully powdery.  E had been waiting all trip for terrain like this,
nicely spaced trees, mellow blue pitch, and untracked lines everywhere.
We milked that last hours out of our day running laps over there; just
as Leigh had said, what a way to close out the trip.

Highlight - finally running into Briar and many of the other SkivTers
near the end of the day and dragging them over to our new found stash.
The expressions on their faces and the whoops and hollers were the
greatest as they encountered the awesome snow.  I'd been hoping we cold
show that to the others as soon as we'd found it.  That much fun had to
be shared.

On the way home, we stopped at Matt's house for  some pizza and ski
videos; a chance to show Jerm what had transpired on our earlier days of
the Swampfest trip.  We watched most of the footage again, and enjoyed
remembering all the fun.  We also watched our movie from last year
"Tracked Up", and I finally got to see Matt's ski videos as well.  Matt,
you did some awesome work, E and I are already scheming to do some of
the types of shots that you did.  We actually just bought a second
digital video camera (found it as a display model at almost 70% off the
retail price) in order to do some of the creative shots we saw from
you.  Hopefully we won't infringe on any copyrighted material ;)  For
those of you that have seen Matt's video work (and I didn't even get to
see all of it) you know how neat (and soulful) it is, and those who
haven't, check it out if you visit Matt for some skiing.  Having done
many hours and hours (and hours) of editing for our own stuff digitally
on the computer, we can really appreciate how much went into his work
that he did in a much more difficult format (analog editing).

I'd like to thank especially Leigh for setting up such an awesome trip,
but all of the SkiVTers and friends for making it so much fun.  I shot
about 2 hours worth of video, and E and I will turn it into a
(hopefully) great video presentation that we'll be able to give to
everyone on VHS cassette.  It will be a while before this is complete
since I need to acquire some new equipment to transfer the video from
S-VHSC to miniDV (My camcorder is in the shop so I had borrowed my
sister's).  Not to disappoint anyone, but it will probably be this
coming fall by the time we'll have it ready.  I can't wait to get to
work on the video feature though, it will be a lot of fun reliving the
memories.

J.Spin