Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  January 2001, Week 1

SKIVT-L January 2001, Week 1

Re: MRG - 12/30, 12/31, 1/1

"Benjamin D. Bloom" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Jan 2001 09:30:32 -0500

"Mark P. Renson" wrote:
>         I was a few chairs behind them, hence they waited in the entrance
> sheltered from the winds;  they certainly didn't have to wait, either -
> saints !   BEN !  Where is YOUR report ?

I've been slacking - and recovering. :)

I was up there all three days, as well.  Saturday was a bit of a bust.
Just slightly frosted - a little more than that which resides on your
mini-wheats.  Still, the packed snow was nice, and much more forgiving
than McSnow.  I skied some laps, decided to stick with Quacky to see if
I could get my bump technique better on teles.  I was feeling so
confident that I went up to Paradise.  Amazingly, I didn't go careening,
out of control, off the waterfall and land half-way down the trail like
I expected to.  I didn't even fall!  I met up with someone who was
picking his way down through the stumps and rocks as well.  I felt
great.  Can't remember what I did the rest of that day.  Paradise ->
Canyon was definitely the hilight, though.

Saturday night: Will calls and asks where I'll be the next day.  Duh.
Turns out that we both have to be back in Burlington sometime
mid-afternoon; he to work the store, me to prep for our annual new years
party.

The morning came quickly and I bolted out of bed.  A peek at the
neighbor's trampoline (still set up for some reason) yielded the great
news that there was a ton of snow.  (the tarp was almost touching the
ground!)

I grabbed my equipment (had to go with the alpines today...) and fought
my way to the garage.  With wet socks and a huge smile my car turned
over for its' first _real_ winter driving test.  I backed out onto the
driveway with ease, turned it around, and plowed through the snow.  I
let out a cheer as I made it to the road without any problems.  Piece of
cake, I thought, as I remembered my incident on Rt. 17 earlier this
season.

Blasting through the unplowed streets and medium sized piles from the
plowed cross roads, I made it to Shelburne.  Will offered to take his
Explorer up.  I was almost let down; the drive over was FUN!

We arrived at about 8:10 and the mountain was crowded.  There was
already a line on the single, but no one at the double.  I ran inside
and changed into my boots as Will got his ticket.  Upon returning
outside, I couln't believe that I hadn't seen Will.  It's a powder day -
is he still a friend?  Did he hop in line already? AH!  There he is!  We
headed over to the double, which now had a line.  On the ride up, will
starts to ask "Where are we headed?"  He isn't familiar with the
mountain at all.  Hmm. We need to find something untracked, a good
warmup, and fun.  Since we weren't some of the first on the lift, I
headed towards some well-known woods shots.  They were great!

We took another similar run with a slightly different line and then
headed towards the single. that's when I saw Mark in line.  I knew it
was time for the 20th.  Late enough that the trudge in wouldn't be
unbroken, but early enough to find plenty of untracked turns.

After waiting for Mark in the shelter of the entrance, we headed down
towards the main line.  The treats were abundant.  Mark, Will, and I
whooped and hollered all the way down in some of the best snow I've
skied.

How do you followup a run like that?  With another one, of course!
Before Sunday I had only ever skied the main line of the 20th.  I don't
know why.  We ventured forth past the line to see what there was to be
seen.  And what a sight it was!  The traverse over yielded many lines,
each with only a single set of tracks down them.  Eventually we got to a
section that looked pretty good with enough snow for all three of us to
get some untracked.  What an amazing place.  I can't wait to get out
there and explore some more!  Weaving between the trees, listening to
the silky swoosh of snow flying all around you.  What a run.

The traverse out was fun, too!  I spent my time leaping off of the
little whoop-de-doo's and landing in untracked sections on the sides.  I
was able to keep up just enough speed to get back on the beaten path and
launch off the next one.  What fun!  We skied some other tree shots that
I hadn't been in, and I spotted the exit marks of a few more I'll have
to find.

Will and I decided that we barely had time for one more run off of the
double.  Mark said he was going in, so we scooted over and back up the
mountain.  Off down the long-trail we went.  The snow was nice over
there, but my choice of lines was not as good.  I don't know the area as
well as I should and it gets thick if you make a wrong turn.  The run
was a lot of work with few well-linked turns.

Once we got to birdland, however, we found some great treets that no one
else had been to yet.  I contemplated the Ice Palace, but decided it was
probably still a little thin.

We called it a day and headed back to Burlington watching the snow fly
all the way.

That night I made plans with my sister and mother to head up early in
the morning.  Thankfully the NYE party was much smaller this year and I
was able to get at least a little sleep.

Arriving at the mountain around 9, we headed up the double.  Some early
runs with Mom were spent finding deep snow on the sides of Quacky and
Porcupine.  Wow!  They got a lot more snow overnight!  I was impressed.

Eventually Kate and I headed up the single to head towards Catamount.
On the way up, I watched an amazing tele patroller come down the Chute.
I was in awe as I watched him effortlessly nail the skier's left line
through the bumps.  I want to ski like him!, I thought to myself.

Catamount was a good decision.  Visualizing the guy on the Chute, I was
able to make some great tele turns in the bumps at the top, flail my way
through the steep section, and get back in control nearer to the
bottom.  Kate finally found her rhythm in the bumps and powder (she had
been struggling in the morning) and we had a blast!  We decided to do
Lynx/Beaver to finish up the run.  An interesting choice at times, but a
great run!

Next we headed to Paradise.  I ended up falling down about half of the
trail.  It seemed like every time Kate stopped she would look up and see
me sliding down the trail on my stomach just after a face plant,
laughing all the way to a stop.  Not one of my more graceful runs, but
it sure was fun!  Canyon was the obvious followup for us.  More great
bumps, funny skiers around us, a guy pulling a Heli off of Bunny into
Lower Canyon - Great run!

After a break for lunch and some recouperation time (my legs were
beat!!!) and we headed back dup the double.  Slalom hill was great, the
Birdland trees were great, the kids in the trees were hilarious.  We
headed up for one last "easy run" to cap the day off.  So much for that
idea.  The trees looked so good that we took one of my favorite
combinations down.  A mix of untracked and tracked all the way down.  I
had to bail a little early as my legs would no longer make turns.  Kate
stayed in and I would hear a whoosh and a holler every now and then.  I
stopped at one point and jealously watched her emerge from the trees
with a huge grin.

That was it.  Two fantastic days of skiing.  Didn't meet up with a whole
lot of plaid, but that didn't surprise me.  I know where you all were.
:)  My legs are still sore today, but they're a happy reminder of the
weekend.  I can't wait for the next storm!

-Ben