SKIVT-L January 2001, Week 1

01/01/01 -- once in a lifetime (long)

"McEvoy, John" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Jan 2001 12:44:27 -0500

This weekend wasn't about first tracks -- it was about *only* tracks.
Myself, my wife, and my son had us a genuine, no holds barred, big ass snow,
backcountry, family getaway this past weekend.  And along the way, I also
relearned some fundamental backcountry lessons.

We set off from Westminster (home of mighty Mt. Wachusett), MA at 5:00 a.m.
Saturday morning.  Our destination was Phillips Brook Backcountry Recreation
Area (<http://www.phillipsbrook.org>) just a few clicks South of Dixville
Notch, NH.  We intently monitored the progress of the impending storm as we
made the mad dash North and were geared-up and ready to go at around 10:00
a.m.  We were headed for Kelsey Mtn Yurt, 3.8 miles from the trailhead.
Snow wasn't forecast to start until around 5:00 that night so we made the
big decision to "go for it" at the trailhead.  My wife's friend and her
husband were scheduled to meet us on the trail at some point.

I hauled our gear on a homemade kid-sled rig.  It is a longish thing with 1"
PVC tubes and a generously padded, homemade hip belt, courtesy of my
seamstress buddy Sven.  I packed our stuff (good sleeping bags, extra
clothes made of quality, non-cotton fabrics, tent, survival stuff, etc.) in
trash bags and then put everything in a hockey bag to keep it all together.
The food (and we had *plenty* of that) went in a low profile,
Tupperware-style box with cover.  I wrapped the whole shebang in a big tarp
(doubles as snow shelter/wind break) and then mummified the sled in
extra-long bungy cords.  Everything stores on the sled in a nice low-slung
manner, making it very stable and virtually eliminating the dreaded
"tippys".  Approximate weight of sled -- somewhere in the neighborhood of 50
lbs.

The trail (actually an old logging road) was groomed and packed for the
first 1.2 miles so I used only my Sorels, saving the snowshoes and ski/skin
combo for later if necessary.  Generally moderate uphill for the first 1/2
mile, followed by a 7th of a mile downhill.  No problem with the groomed
trail action.  At the trail junction, we pick up the Dixville Notch North
trail, which is a flat, old logging road for 1.6 miles, leading to the
Kelsey Mtn trail.  Big *surprise* at this point is that this allegedly
groomed trail has six inches of fresh on it.  On with the Tubbs and off we
go.  At this point, my wife is cross country skiing, my son is riding the
sled, and I am snowshoeing while pulling it.  We have set the bottom of the
Kelsey Mtn Trail as the point of no return.  We will evaluate everything
there, look at the time, and make the decision on whether to push the 1.1
mile *up* the mountain to the yurt or turn back and ski the 2.8 back to the
truck.  It is just past 12 noon, it is snowing just a wee bit, so everything
is still a go.

We meet my wife's friend (his wife bagged it) at the bottom of the hill and
start upwards.  My sled is heavy but not unmanageable.  I am trudging but
not blowing any gaskets.  The son is snowshoeing along very nicely in my
sled wake, and the wife has on her skins and is tooling along without a
problem.  The friend is struggling and decides to take his stuff in two
trips, hauling some to the Yurt and then snowshoeing back down to get his
other stuff.  The trail is a skidder path up the side of the mountain.  No
switchbacks, but not too steep either.  We meet some Tele folks on the way
up who are skiing down through the woods.  They look at me like I am out of
my mind, and then rave over the conditions and the great time they have just
had.

We arrive at the yurt around 2:00 p.m.  Very light snow begins to fall.  We
settle in while the wife's friend fetches his second load of stuff.  It is
getting darkish when he returns but he seems to have his stuff together and
my worries about him going back downhill in the snowstorm vanish like the
wood smoke wafting from the yurt's stove pipe.  All is well.  It snows, and
then it snows some more, and then it keeps snowing.  We call it a day at
7:00 p.m. and spend a very restful night.  My wife adds to the wood supply
by cutting a few cord in her sleep that night :)  The next day there is 15"
of fresh outside the door and it is still snowing heavily.  Every tree looks
like a snow candle with gobs of snow wax melted down around its taper.
Virtually no green or brown is visible on the trees.  There is 5 to 6 feet
of old/new snow on the ground, and we have all of the comforts of home
(albeit without a shower handy and with a somewhat full commode).  I attempt
to tele ski a bit the next day.  There is major snow and it is still snowing
heavily.  I cannot for the life of me find anything steep enough immediately
around the yurt to ski through.  I ski five feet, hit a four foot deep
drift, and stop dead in my tracks.  Do not doubt for one second, however,
about whether the goods are there.  The entire area around the yurt is a
sweet, medium pitch glade.  And the upper reaches of the mountain harbor
plenty of chutes and shots, but all require a bit of snowshoeing.  I stuck
around the yurt and eventually made my own ski trails.

That night it continues to snow.  We depart at 8:00 a.m. sharp.  There are
now 20+ inches of fresh on the ground and it is still snowing.  I have the
sled (less all the food we have eaten) and I am snowshoeing with my Sorels.
Son is also wearing snowshoeing and my wife is crosscountry skiing downhill
with her skins on.  Son has on plenty of clothes and is using hand and toe
warmers.  Friend is going to ski out with his sled.  My son and I break
trail down the mountain for 1 mile to the junction at the bottom.  No energy
expended by me yet, but he is ready for a ride at this point - no problem
hop on.  1/2 hour later wife and friend show up.  Friend had some issues,
switched to snowshoes mid-way down, but seems to have it together on the
downhill now.  We have a flat 1.6 to go to the trail junction, but we have
to break trail through the 20" of fresh.  He takes the first turn breaking
trail.  10 steps (no exaggeration) and he is *whipped*.  Finito--stick a
fork in him.  10 more steps and he is *really* hurting now.  It is snowing,
cold, and windy.  I have my kid with me.  We have to get the heck out of
Dodge now, not later.  I tell them that I will take the kid ahead to the
truck, she is to stay with friend at all costs.  He has survival stuff with
him.  She is dressed well with gore tex, fleece, and poly pro.  She is not
cold or sweaty.  I tell her if I don't see her within three hours of
arriving at the truck, I will try to go get the people that run the place
for a snowmobile rescue.  I trust her judgment and abilities.  I now break
trail for 1.6 miles through 20" of snow, hauling 30 lb. sled with 50 lb. son
riding on top.  The trail is flat and although it is work, I really am not
really suffering.  I can't help but think how it would have been a walk in
the park with someone else trading off on the trail breaking.  I take her
friend's name in vain.   We come to the trail junction.  1.2 miles to go now
and the next leg is .75 mile moderate uphill.  My son sings Christmas
carols, snowshoes a bit, rides the sled a bit, and I put the transmission in
a figurative Four Wheel Drive Low and grind it out to the top.  We rest, we
drink water, we sing, and we eat energy bar crap.  I am in a full froth at
the top...I never knew polypro and gore tex could hold so much goddamn
sweat.  Last .5 of a mile is sort of downhill.  Not bad at all, given the
battle that has just been won.  We make the truck, change, eat, drink, warm
up, and wait...  One hour ticks by and I wonder if I should say screw it and
go get someone.  I decide to stick with the original plan.  2 hours go by.
No sign of them.  It is getting touch and go now.  2.5 hours go by.  I am
getting ready to depart when my wife comes into the lot.  She says he is
hurting, but plodding along slowly.  About 15 minutes later, here he comes.
Wow...he is really whipped.  He drinks water, rests and perks up a bit.  We
hang, help clean off his truck, and wait until we feel like he is going to
be OK and then start the long drive home.  I drink 1 gallon of water on the
way home.

Lessons:

*       Quality clothing and equipment pays for itself in times of weather
duress.
*       A group is only as strong as its weakest link.
*       Always be prepared to spend the night in the woods.
*       NEVER EVER pass on a gear haul (which I did) no matter what the
price.