SKIVT-L January 2001, Week 1

Smuggs 12/31 & 1/1

Kor Kiley <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Jan 2001 17:25:06 -0500

12/31  Well, as usual I arrived too late, 8:30.  I headed up Sterling first
and took a fast run down upper and lower rum runner.  I realized that I
should have immediately headed for Madonna.  I was a bit surprised that the
snow fall wasn't exceptional, probably about the same as Burlington, about a
foot.

As I headed down Chilcoot I skied fast into the steep pitch on the top where
I immediately got launched out of one ski as a result of hitting something
or other buried beneath the snow.  I skidded to a stop on one ski and low
and behold my loose ski emerged from the cloud of white dust above me and
presented itself ever so gently into my outstreched glove.

After re-arranging myself I skied over to FIS which was already skied up
pretty well.  I, on the other hand did not ski well.  I never do when I'm
trying to avoid hitting objects poking through the snow.  I've already
shelled out about $65 in repairs and tunes to my skis this year.

The bottom of upper FIS, past the Doc Dempseys cutover was beautiful though.
No objects appeared poking through and I was much more relaxed.

When I arrived at the bottom the line looked horrendous so I dodged back to
Sterling.  I skied Smuggler's Alley which wasn't bad at all despite having
very little left in unbroken snow.  At the bottom I took a peak at the M1
line again and it looked better so I joined in for another go.  However,
once in the line I realized although it was no longer proceeding up the
hill, it had more than made up in width what it had lost in length.  To make
matters worse, I later learned that they were skipping every other chair for
part of the time I was waiting.  It was a very long wait and I never learned
why the skippage.  Maybe somebody has an idea.  It wasn't particularly
windy.  Maybe people were just too heavy that day.

I had to be back at Colchester by noon so I only made 5 runs that day with
the long waits in line.  It was nice to have a lot more snow but I can't say
that it did much for covering dangerous foreign objects protruding from the
matrix.

Yesterday was a better day despite the fact that I was even later.  This
time I was with the SU who is struggling a bit to become an intermediate.  I
took one run with her from midway at Morse to be sure she could handle the
new snow.  Even though it was almost 9, we seemed to be almost the first
ones to ski there.  The snow was very light and fluffy and I was amazed by
two facts.  First, it had snowed at least six inches since yesterday.
Second, no grooming had been done!

When I finally arrived at Madonna, I discovered that M1 wasn't running but
M2 was--the reverse order of the previous day.  The Sterling line looked
fairly long and M2 was very short so I opted for M2.  I believe that this
was a very good choice because it hadn't been skied the previous day.  This
gave it the full benefit of two days of snow and it was beautiful.  I skied
two runs more or less under the lift.  On the next ride up the lift it
suddenly occurred to me that I could hike up the bottom of Doc Dempsy's and
ski down the lower section of upper FIS.  As I skied off the lift I saw two
young men with the same idea just starting up.  I joined them.  We hiked a
bit past the cut over to FIS.  I skied down to the cut over and skied up to
FIS.  It was great having the entire lower half all to myself!

I then took another normal run under the lift of M2.  I'm just amazed how
great shaped skis are in deep snow.  I find myelf skiing with much more
confidence than I'm sure I would have had in the past with traditional
shapes.  I feel so free and floating!

Coming up the lift again I decided I had to try the half pipe despite my
doubts such as, "Is it ok to do this on skis--do I need a board?" etc.  But
first I decided I needed to hike up to FIS again.  This time, having been
educated by my two young companions of the previous hike, I stopped at the
Ski Patrol hut and asked for permission.  The patrol gave me a bit of a hard
time since I was by myself and mentioning the $2500 I would have to pay if
they had to rescue me--and then there were jokes about being sure to have my
address on me so they would know where to ship the body next spring when
they found it, etc.

I finally went and had another great run.  When I arrived on the lower part
of M2 I suddenly found myself one rope and about 75 feet from the half pipe.
I knew the half pipe was open so I scooted under the rope and skied over to
the pipe without a second thought until I was brought up short by an angry
voice yelling, "Hey! Hey!"  I stopped and waited for the two patrolman to
ski up to me.  The angry one ordered me to go right back where I came from
as though I was a little kid.  The other one talked very calmly and kindly
and I suddenly realized he was the same guy I negotiated with about skiing
down FIS.  He explained why the rope was there,  to keep boarders from
cutting line in front of others waiting for their turn in the pipe.  Those
young boarders are so unruly and impossible to control you know.  The irate
companion wanted to ignore the fact that there was no one in line waiting
for the pipe, almost no one using the pipe, that I was not a boarder (if
that really made a difference!) and that I was a polite, well behaved
(except for ducking under this one little rope) 55 year old.  He kept
telling me that the rope was there for a reason (even though there was no
reason for the reason!).  I think he was recovering from a military career!

Anyway I finally tried the pipe.  I was a real whose.  I kept vedging a bit
to slow down.  I also tried the next four runs and guess what?  The rope
that turned me into a bad boy wasn't there the next time down!  That pipe is
going to take some getting used to before I really let it go but from now on
I plan to make it part of my repertoire!

Kor Kiley