]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  January 2001, Week 1

SKIVT-L January 2001, Week 1

Sugarbush, VT 31DEC00 & 01JAN01 (4 images)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Jan 2001 08:09:06 -0500

Sometime around Monday or Tuesday of last week, I began hearing about a
proposed nor'easter for the New Year's weekend.  The weather gurus on
the ne.weather newsgroup were going nuts, as this could be the first big
storm for the coastal cities in a number of years.  A clipper type low
along the northern tier of the U.S. might merge with a storm coming out
of the south, and Boom!, bomb out as a nor'easter off the coast.
Although the southern storm pretty much went off the coast down south,
the situation was set so that the northern low transferred its energy
and made a low off the coast anyway.  Two friends, Dave and Chris, came
up from southern New England, and as Saturday progressed, we watched the
storm dump plentiful snows across New Jersey, Philly, New York City and
many points down south of us.  Some areas of New Jersey were in the
bull's eye with over two feet of snow.  The latest report I saw for
Mountain Creek ski area in NJ was 29 inches.  The Catskills also got
some heavy bands of snow, I saw Hunter Mountain reporting 30 inches.
Overnight Saturday, the storm worked its way up into northern New
England, and by early Sunday morning, Sugarbush was reporting 10
inches.  This number would swell to 16" by the end of the day, and 24"
by Monday.

We got an early start on Sunday, but even at 8:00 the parking lot was
already half full of holiday vacationers and powderhounds.  After a bit
of mechanical troubles with the Gate House lift, we were some of the
first group to get up to North Lynx.  We ran off three quick runs on the
North Lynx Chair since there was no line and the snow was sweet.
Untracked turns down Morning Star revealed about 12 inches of new snow,
pretty light at about 6-7% H20.  The base was already pretty good, so
rock exposure was minimal.  We eventually worked our way back down the
mountain through some of the usual woods, the new snow covering most of
the obstacles that we had encountered on Thursday.

At this point it was back to reality as we encountered the holiday
crowds.  The lower lifts had pretty substantial lines, and they
unfortunately hadn't started up Spring Fling at this point.  We headed
over to the Valley House Chair which seemed to have the best chance at a
short wait.  What we really wanted to do was head up to Heaven's Gate,
but with the wind howling, I wasn't sure it would be running.  I set my
radio to scan mode to catch the latest on what was happening with the
lifts, and soon found out that Heaven's Gate was running.  We made the
traverse over and found no line (people seemed to be hanging out at the
lower lifts, possibly due to wind?)  I'd heard no mention of Castlerock
on the radio, and had to assume it wasn't open yet, so we hiked over to
get some fresh turns.  It turns out that the Castlerock lift is broken,
so it will be inoperable for a bit until they get a new part for it.
Although there was a bigger crowd than usual, we all caught fresh tracks
down Middle Earth and got some quality video footage.  We found 16
inches of nice light fluff that made even the excellent conditions on
the regular trails seem like a waste of time.  E had to eat her words
about the hike not being worth it.

We were contemplating another lap on Castlerock when we lost Dave at the
top of the Super Bravo Lift in a blinding gale of wind.  Ironically,
Dave had refused taking a radio from Chris at the beginning of the day.
"No, no, I don't need a radio, I don't plan on skiing alone."  Well, he
did that afternoon, despite our efforts to find him.  Chris E and I
enjoyed some fun runs and hit some woods in the Snowball area.  It had
been snowing hard all day, and when I did some checks in the woods, even
the lower mountain had about 16 inches of new snow at this point.  It
turns out that Dave was more resourceful than we thought, and worked
himself in two more laps over at Castlerock, praising the untracked on
Lift Line, and commenting on how the snow was falling so fast that he
had to break trail on the hike.  Meanwhile we're searching for him and
feeling sorry that he might not be able to find his way around the
mountain!  Ha, we're onto him now ;)

We drove home through some of the heaviest snow we'd encountered yet.
Even though accumulations for the Green Mountains had looked iffy for a
bit, that famous nor'easter wraparound was now in full effect and the
snow continued to pile up.  It snowed heavily all the way back until the
Champlain Valley, where things had stopped a bit earlier.

I wasn't sure if I could convince everyone to go back the next day for a
few more runs, but another 8-10 inches, and reduced prices due to the
Sugarcard sealed the deal.  It turns out that Sugarbush had decided to
honor the Sugarcard on January 1st, despite it being a holiday week.
Chris received an email, and E was very impressed that when they
couldn't reach her by email, they actually CALLED her by phone to let
her know that her Sugarcard would work if she wanted to use it tomorrow.

All the crowds seemed to have disappeared when we arrived on Sunday.
I'm not sure if we would have returned if it wasn't for the Castlerock
factor, but the lure of 24 inches of untracked light powder was too
much.  We spoke with other folks over there and everyone agreed that
they should form a petition to just leave the Castlerock chair
inoperable. ;)  We hit Castlerock trail this time, and although we
didn't have first tracks by any means, the remaining untracked off to
the sides was consistently knee to waist deep.  The topmost snow had
even lightened up a bit more than the previous day so it was pretty
spectacular.  Later we did a run down Rumble and still found untracked
in the lower sections.  I hit one sweeping turn where Dave said "Oh man,
you looked like a water skier on that one, I couldn't even see you for
most of that turn because you were under the snow."  He wished he had
the camcorder for that one, but if I had a nickel for all the amazing
shots we miss...  I did catch Chris on video snapping his composite pole
on Rumble.  That's the second composite pole destruction I've seen, and
both caught on video.  I'm beginning to wonder if they're more durable
than aluminum after all.  If the temperatures stay cold, the skiing is
going to stay fantastic so get out there and enjoy.

Images associated with this report (4 images) can be viewed at:
http://www.uvm.edu/~jsilveir/31DEC00.html

A collection of reports and images for the season thus far, images from
past seasons, as well as some of the faces that go with the names can be
viewed at: http://www.uvm.edu/~jsilveir/ski.html

J.Spin