]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

EJCLASS Home

EJCLASS  February 2001

EJCLASS February 2001

International Campaign to Ban Cyanide Leach Mining

Mary Louise Whitlow <[log in to unmask]>

Environmental Justice <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:20:53 -0600

(forwarded for Ruth Rosenhek <[log in to unmask]>, Rainforest Information
Centre)
ANNOUNCING THE INTERNATIONAL CAMPAIGN TO BAN CYANIDE LEACHING

Cyanide leaching is a highly risky technology that can be very toxic to
waterways and wildlife as seen last year in Romania and Hungary. Please help
to raise awareness and ban the use of cyanide leaching in gold and silver
mining worldwide.  Here's how:

* Raise awareness about cyanide leaching and gold mining by showing a copy
of the 12 minute campaign video: "Water Is More Precious Than Gold".  Keep a
copy in the library at your organization or one that you belong to.  To
receive the video, please sending a donation of your choice (make checks
payable to RIC) to:

Rainforest Information Centre
Box 368, Lismore,
NSW 2480, Australia

Please specify whether you would like an NTSC or PAL version of the video.

* Initiate a campaign in your state, country or municipality.  Form a
partnership with your local Green Party (as we did in New South Wales) or
equivalent and draft a Bill that asks for a ban on cyanide leaching.  Write
to us asking for our Cyanide Be Gone! pamphlet, the campaign video and a
copy of the Bill that we have submitted to the New South Wales Parliament.

* Send us an email that states that you agree that cyanide leach mining
should be banned in the State of New South Wales here in Australia where we
have initiated this campaign.  Discussion on the Bill is due sometime in the
next 6 months and letters of support will be very valuable.

* The campaign to ban cyanide leaching is part of a larger effort to stop
toxic gold mining.  At this point in time, we know of no examples of gold
mining that are not toxic!  Join the international Gold Mining Coalition -
GoldBusters - by sending us your contact details and let us know what's
happening with gold mining in your region. Spread the news that
approximately 80% of newly produced gold each year goes towards jewelry. For
more information, see http://forests.org/ric/gold/

* Help spread the news that not only is cyanide leaching a problem but so is
gold mining worldwide in that it tends to be associated with dislocation of
communities, human rights violations, land clearing, spills and leaks,
damage to the watertable and more.

Thanks for any help you can offer this effort.  Please pass this notice on
to other listservs, organizations and people who you think would be
interested.

for the Earth, Ruth Rosenhek

**  CHECK OUT OUR CYBER JUKEBOX BENEFIT AT www.rainforestjukebox.org **

Rainforest Information Centre
Box 368, Lismore, NSW 2480
61-2-66213294

http://forests.org/ric/

"If you have come here to help me,
you are wasting your time....
But if you have come because
your liberation is bound up with mine,
then let us work together."

Lilla Watson, Aboriginal educator and activist