SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Archives

February 2001

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Bob Broedel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 16:39:59 -0500
Date   : Sun, 11 Feb 2001 15:57:45 -0500
>From  : Declan McCullagh <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: New book implicates IBM in Nazi extermination of Jews

***********
More:
http://www0.mercurycenter.com/svtech/news/indepth/docs/ibm021101.htm
http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54557-2001Feb10.html
http://www.cluebot.com/article.pl?sid=01/02/11/2029206
***********

>From  : "Thomas C. Greene" <[log in to unmask]>
To     : "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: IBM implicated in Nazi extermination of Jews
Date   : Sun, 11 Feb 2001 01:51:48 -0500

Declan, this might interest your politechnocrats:
chrz,
t.

IBM implicated in Nazi extermination of Jews
By: <[log in to unmask]> Thomas C Greene in Washington

Writer Edwin Black claims to have roughly 20,000 pages of documentation
proving that American-as-apple-pie tech behemoth IBM embraced and
advanced the twisted dreams of der Fuhrer by supplying crucial
technology to the Nazis in a book entitled IBM and the Holocaust.

"Hundreds of thousands of human beings were being identified, sorted,
assigned and transported by means of [IBM's] card system," Black says.

Hitler's perverse ambitions were "greatly enhanced and energised by the
ingenuity of IBM and Thomas J. Watson, its autocratic chairman."

Virtually all the logistics of the Nazi rat-bastard programme --
certainly the most celebrated if not the most extensive of mankind's
frequent genocidal enterprises -- can be credited to IBM technology,
we are told.

"IBM did not invent Germany's anti-Semitism, but when Germany wanted to
identify Jews by name, IBM showed it how. When the Reich wanted to use
that information to launch programmes of social expulsion and
expropriation, IBM provided the means. When the trains had to run on
time between concentration camps, IBM offered the solution."

Even as late as 1945, Black says, IBM execs in the US were in constant
touch with their Nazi partners, smoothing over the odds and ends of a
business alliance which had by that time been illegal for years.

Ghastly stuff, and savagely damming if it should withstand examination.

Which is not to say that Black is entirely objective here. "My parents
are Holocaust survivors, uprooted from their homes in Poland. My
mother escaped from a cattle truck en route to Treblinka concentration
camp, was shot and buried alive in a shallow mass grave. My father,
who had run away from a guarded line of Jews, discovered her leg
protruding from the snow and dug her out. They lived in the forests
for two years," he reveals.

But he reveals it in the first paragraphs of his book, suggesting that
he doesn't feel it's anything worth hiding, and so implying that
readers ought not to consider it anything worth questioning.

A good deal more questionable, however, is a purported photo of IBM's
Watson taking tea with Hitler, offered in evidence, but which looks
uncannily like some "Batboy" collage from the Weekly World News.

An excerpt from the book may be found at

http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/02/11/
     stirevnws02017.html.

Thomas C. Greene
Washington Bureau Chief