]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CLIMATEACTION Home

CLIMATEACTION  March 2001

CLIMATEACTION March 2001

Ozone-Eating Clouds Form in Cold Polar Rings (fwd)

"Bettine G. Thompson" <[log in to unmask]>

Burlington Climate Protection Task Force <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:51:44 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

FYI.
Gioia

Subject: [SEAC-ANNOUNCE:3201] Ozone-Eating Clouds Form in Cold Polar Rings

Top Science and Health News

        Ozone-Eating Clouds Form in Cold Polar Rings
Reuters
Mar 29 2001 3:59PM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Ozone-eating clouds that erode Earth's
protection against ultraviolet radiation are born in thin rings of
supercold air over the North and South Poles, scientists reported on
Thursday.
The Sun's ultraviolet rays could cause skin cancer in humans and
biological damage to other living things if Earth were not shielded
by the ozone layer high in the atmosphere. But polar stratospheric
clouds made of nitric acid and water deplete this protective layer.
Scientists have known about the clouds for years, but U.S.
researchers have just discovered the bands of frigid air in the
stratosphere that help to create them, according to an article in the
current edition of the journal Science.
And as the Earth's surface gets warmer, due to heat trapped by
so-called greenhouse gases, the stratosphere gets colder, making it
an even better place to create the ozone-depleting clouds, NASA
researcher Azadeh Tabazadeh said.
The more these high polar clouds proliferate, the slower Earth's
recovery from ozone depletion, Tabazadeh said in a telephone
interview from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's
Ames Research Center in California.
The polar stratospheric clouds do their work by sucking nitrogen out
of the cold air. Because they are made up of large particles, each
the size of a bit of road dust, the clouds are heavy and pull out the
nitrogen as they fall toward Earth, Tabazadeh said.
Nitrogen is important because it reacts with the chlorine in
human-made chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). Now banned under international
agreements, CFCs have long been identified as a prime cause of ozone
depletion.
The polar stratospheric clouds pack a double punch, Tabazadeh said:
they take away nitrogen, which can mitigate the effects of ozone
depletion, and they also activate chlorine, which spurs ozone
depletion.
Still, if Earth's climate stayed constant, the ozone layer should
start recovering because CFCs are being limited. But Earth's surface
climate is warming, which means the stratosphere is cooling.
"The surface warming causes a cooling in the stratosphere and the
cooling promotes more ozone depletion," Tabazadeh said. "Global
warming is actually affecting the ozone depletion."
"I think the best thing to do is try to control the global warming
issue," she said. "And that could be controlled by less emissions of
greenhouse gases and also less emissions of soot. It's very hard to
regulate."

RTR/SCIENCE-ENVIRONMENT-OZONE-DC/
Copyright  2001 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication
or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or
similiar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written
consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or
delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.
All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL Anywhere.
--
******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
"Today capital takes rank over compassion, and property is of greater

"Rice and beans are the food of the people!"- Student protesters in
Brazil at a McDonalds during the World Economic Forum,  as they,
"burst into the McDonald's in the food court of a local shopping
center, spraying red paint on tables and chairs and overturning trash
cans."
The Activism Center at Wetlands Preserve, 161 Hudson Street, NY, NY
10013 Phone: (212) 966-4831 Email: [log in to unmask] Fax:
(212) 925-8715
Call or email us for information on our year-round internship program
(Academic credit can be arranged with many schools).
Affiliated with Rainforest Relief, the Global Sweatshop Coalition,
and the No Spray Coalition
One Struggle, One Fight....For the Earth and Human and Animal Rights!!!