New bulletin board forum

David Elmore <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:37:27 -0500

PRIME Lab is sponsoring a new bulletin board for the Radiocarbon, AMS, and
cosmogenic radionuclide communities to discuss research, instrumentation,
techniques, conferences, or anything of general interest to these groups.  You
can access it off the PRIME Lab web page or by clicking here:
http://plsv1.physics.purdue.edu/AMSBBCgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro . It is a
versatile bulletin board system and is easy to add, delete, or change forums, so
give me your suggestions.

This bulletin board has advantages over email lists like this one.  It does not
fill up your email inbox.  Posts and replies remain indefinitely and stay
together.  You can read posts at your convenience.  The disadvantage is "out of
sight, out of mind" and it is probable that the forums will not be used if not
advertised frequently.  Therefore, I will occasionally post messages to this
group to point out interesting discussions that are taking place on the bulletin
board.

Of course anyone can answer and is encouraged to answer questions.  At PRIME Lab
we will monitor the forums often so questions do not sit there unanswered.

I have set up the bulletin board so anyone can view any post, but to place a new
post you have to register.  This involves choosing a username and providing a
valid email address.  The initial password is emailed to you immediately.  You
can then change the password to one that is easier to remember by clicking on
"profile".

This BB has some very nice features.  A topic starter can choose to receive an
email message to notify you of replies.  The email has a place to click to read
the reply in your browser.  Otherwise, no emails are sent.  Another nice feature
is that posters can edit their messages later, and moderators (up to 4 of them)
can edit any message.

If you run a web site that overlaps the subject matter of these forums, please
post a link to the forums using the URL given above.

Everyone: please try out our new bulletin board and give me your comments and
suggestions.

David

David Elmore, Professor of Physics
Director, PRIME Lab, Purdue University, 1396 Physics Bldg
West Lafayette IN 47907-1396  Email: [log in to unmask]
Work:765-494-6516 Fax:765-496-7228 Pager:765-423-5172
Home:765-583-3309 Home fax:765-583-3300 Cell:765-412-2174 or -2173
PRIME Lab web page URL: http://primelab.physics.purdue.edu/